The most favorite anemone type of the R2R community is.....

What is your most favorite type of anemone?

• Bubbe Tip

Votes: 300 47.5%
  • Long Tentacle

Votes: 21 3.3%
  • Rock Flower

Votes: 105 16.6%
  • Carpet

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • Mini Carpet

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Condy

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Ritteri/Magnifica

Votes: 74 11.7%
  • Tube

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sabae

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • NONE

Votes: 26 4.1%

• Total voters

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA!
I just ordered my first one, and I can't wait to have it in my tank.
Cover all intakes including your gyre pump if you have one. I incorrectly assumed my gyre was up too high where it wouldn't wander. I had the most beautiful quad color BTA I've seen in a long time for 1 day. The first night it got shredded in the gyre. I almost shed a tear. I was so mad at myself.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover all intakes including your gyre pump if you have one. I incorrectly assumed my gyre was up too high where it wouldn't wander. I had the most beautiful quad color BTA I've seen in a long time for 1 day. The first night it got shredded in the gyre. I almost shed a tear. I was so mad at myself.
I have nem covers on them already, but wondering if I should get netting instead for more coverage.

MUTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 BTA and both slowly shrank to nothing and died. I have 3 RFA and all 3 continue to do very well. I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 that was set up in February. I don’t understand why the BTAs did poorly.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigantea hands down!!
20210713_131640.jpg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT!? 0.7% How are you not seeing the beauty in a Condy Anemone? Without a doubt my favorite Anemone.

trinket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a recent QOTD we talked about your favorite inverts and the ANEMONE was the over-all vote leader! Today let's talk more about THE ANEMONE! This is what @LiveAquaria has to say about the sea anemone: "Most Anemones are sessile with a specialized foot used to anchor them in soft substrates or attach themselves to rocks and corals. Provide excellent water conditions, moderate to strong current, and intense lighting. Bits of shrimp or other meaty foods can be used to supplement their diet." Let's discuss!

1. What's your favorite type of anemone and why?

2. How many anemones do you currently have?

bigstock-Closeup-And-Macro-Shot-Of-The--308923330.jpg
Does aiptasia count?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 BTA and both slowly shrank to nothing and died. I have 3 RFA and all 3 continue to do very well. I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 that was set up in February. I don’t understand why the BTAs did poorly.

I'm sure you can find more answers in the Nem thread section in R2R there's a lot of awesome articles there.

There's lots of correlation between new tanks and BTA's and Gig's not doing well, whereas RFA's and shrooms have no problem. I know newer tanks on APEX graphs have bigger swings in params including specifically ph and alk than older tanks, not sure if it's that or exactly what, since Carpets and BTA's specifically want to have equilibrium with the water inside and the water outside.

But either the swings or something happens that gets them all stressed out and, then they normally end up dying from a bacterial infection, but the weakened immune system is the original culprit, most likely caused by stress ( and the stress most likely from the swings) but could be something else stressing them out in newer tanks... Or at least my best understanding so far in why they often don't do well in newer tanks even when SPS and other "hard to keep" things can.

But there is many reports as well of people throwing BTA's and Carpets into 10 day old tanks with no problem, but normally those are transfer tanks, or tanks fully seeded with live rock etc, also normally they're the only additions with maybe a few clowns vs something with a more mixed and heavy bio load/diversity. maybe that leads to more threats of infection???? Anyway point is you'll find more answers there if you spend the time to read through. There's a lot of good threads.

There's quite a few Nem heads on this forum too you can always read though and then @ them or tag them for a specific question for help with nems.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT!? 0.7% How are you not seeing the beauty in a Condy Anemone? Without a doubt my favorite Anemone.

Word on the street is they don't host clowns. Can't be dissn' my friends like that. The voters were probably just a bunch of clowns. Pun intended.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. My favorite are BTAs because they are hardy, easy to reproduce in captivity (sustainability and all that jazz) and are very diverse in appearance. They also have character and are very clown friendly.

2. Current Collection
13 BTAs
-6 RBTAs
-1 extra orange RBTA like with a stupid name I don't remember
-1 Black widow
-1 something sunburst
-3 "Ultra" whatever color tip wild types
--White tip purple
--green tip purple
--purple tip green on green reticulated
-1 watermelon (light green with orange tips)
2 LTAs
-Purple
-Green Glow stick
1 Aiptasia

Last edited:

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I the large carpets are amazing and would dearly love to have one someday, but for the foreseeable future I'm stuck with a tiny tank space, so I have a mix of BTAs and RFAs. My first three BTAs did not make it--one due to foot damage sustained at my LFS, one that did not handle my tank upgrade, and of course the prerequisite 'my favorite one got up one day and walked into the powerhead I did not think it could reach'. I have three currently, two who are doing great and my now favorite one that absurdly lost a battle with an RFA and is veeeeery slowly working his way around the rock to escape it. Eventually he'll settle somewhere I can enjoy him again.

I have 8 RFAs and they've been a bit of a mixed bag for me; 6 of the 8 stayed exactly where I put them and have been model citizens. One looked awful from the moment I put it in and has tried several different very hard-to-see spots, and long term probably won't pull through. The last is the jerk that decided to climb straight up my rock face to my perfectly-positioned favorite BTA and teach it who was the boss of the tank. Thought really hard about ripping him out, but the BTA is in the process of relocating and honestly I want a nem in that spot so...he lives for now.

Tuan Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Magnifica but it online form a dealer that sells there clones. Tried wild ones never held up for me. But this tank raised Magnifica gone thru water swings and still kicking. Also my 4 clown fish love it to death.
E8D009F2-5200-47A2-991D-EC2E7FD32EEC.jpeg

Back