The most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX

Top 3 most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX?

• Cost

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • How clean it mixes

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • The Chemistry (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium etc.)

Votes: 351 70.9%
  • How available it is to you

Votes: 184 37.2%
  • How your livestock responds to it

Votes: 197 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week we are going to be discussing a little reef chemistry and more specifically SALT MIXES! We've never discussed that before.....NOT! Along with water, salt is one of the elements that make up a saltwater reef aquarium but there is so much more to the salt mix and brand we choose based on so many different variables! Let's talk about that today!

What are the most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX for your aquarium?

image via @Fumbles
29C08CD1-505F-4590-8033-C091EA268755.jpeg

Last edited:

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3, 5, 6.
My #6 is consistency. The biggest pain I’ve had in re-entering the hobby (besides the dinos that graced me with their presence this week) has been batch consistency. The brand I started with was vastly different from one bag to the next and then alternatives I tried were decently off of the advertised values.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week we are going to be discussing a little reef chemistry and more specifically SALT MIXES! We've never discussed that before.....NOT! Along with water, salt is one of the elements that make up a saltwater reef aquarium but there is so much more to the salt mix and brand we choose based on so many different variables! Let's talk about that today!

What are the most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX for your aquarium?

Great poll. I chose cost, chemistry and how well the corals respond.

poor choice of the picture though. I know it’s just an example but when revhtree himself posts something and a pic shows up, it feels like an endorsement and people take it seriously. These would have been better and appropriate choices - Red Sea, TM or RC/IO… just something to keep in mind for future.

Sam

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I chose cost. I conduct 40gl changes per week and the costs could quickly add up if I am not careful.

Besides, how can you go wrong with the Reef Crystals 160gl bucket for $33.99? (amazon subscription).

The salt works great and in 25 years of reefing I have never had to switch to another brand. In my opinion, if you're spending more than $40 per bucket of salt then you are simply throwing money away.

-Sonny

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is exactly what I use.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so you guys keep answering the polls but I’m curious what brands you guys are using.
The list of brands should be placed into a poll.
that would be nice.
Number 1 most used salt.
There are a bazillion threads on salt choices and polls. There Was a big one within the past few months. Searching goes a long way.

goldfish423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bazillion threads on salt choices and polls. There Was a big one within the past few months. Searching goes a long way.
Just reading through this.
Wasn’t intending on changing salts
Figured if you were going to answer the questions

1,3,4 etc.
Why not name drop as well.
But yeah silly me..

nathanmaurer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How clean it mixes is important. I mix the salt in RODI and let is continue mixing overnight with a small, inexpensive powerhead. You'll know it mixes well if, after a couple hours from turning the powerhead off, no salt particles have settled.
Chemistry adds trace elements needed in a reef tank. If you regularly change the water, this helps renew these elements.
I mistakingly chose #6, meant #5. How the livestock responds is probably the most important of all.
I use Instant Ocean. Does all of the above.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can find a 5 gallon bucket of instant ocean on sale at petco after discounts for 25$. Just bought a 2 year supply, 12, 5 gallon buckets. That is 3 times cheaper than the next cheapest option and thousands of successful tanks come from instant ocean. Mixes clear fast. I have a 235 gallon tank, there is no other option.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VOTE and let us know in a post!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m using a bucket a week so cost is a big factor, then the availability of it and also a brand that’s been reliable for years making salts for marine aquariums. So for me it’s IO and RC.
I really buy into this salt is so superior to that salt and the reason for the high prices.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back