The most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX

Top 3 most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX?

• Cost

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • How clean it mixes

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • The Chemistry (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium etc.)

Votes: 351 70.9%
  • How available it is to you

Votes: 184 37.2%
  • How your livestock responds to it

Votes: 197 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can find a 5 gallon bucket of instant ocean on sale at petco after discounts for 25$. Just bought a 2 year supply, 12, 5 gallon buckets. That is 3 times cheaper than the next cheapest option and thousands of successful tanks come from instant ocean. Mixes clear fast. I have a 235 gallon tank, there is no other option.
I'm new but I really don't get the fancy salts. I guess if you have a small tank or have endless pockets but IO is used by so many that have nice tanks.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number one for me is the listed chemistry (and consistency in the chemistry). After that, I care how available it is to me b/c I want to be able to buy the same one every time I need it. Cost and clean mix are after those first two priorities.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these threads about different salt mix’s are very informative. I never knew there could be so much difference in salts. Honestly I chose Coral Pro just because it had the words “coral pro” and it was the most expensive so to me means the best, basically pure ignorance. I will make more informed decisions on my salt choices going forward.

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5, 2 and other - how long can i hold it stable
don’t believe that everyone doesn’t depend on 5, it’s what we buy it… no?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not super concerned with how clean the salt mixes. Looking back on several tank of the month threads many run IO or another cheap salt. I think it's far more important what you do with that salt water once it's in your tank, and any "contaminates" found in salt are always either mystery substances that can't be attributed to detrimental livestock health or are bacterial growth/metabolism of precipitates. Cost is a decent factor - I just can't afford to spend 150 a bucket for a slight increase in quality. The number one factor is consistency between buckets and whether or not it's close to where I run my reef.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency for me. The rest does not matter, although what I do use is cheap, so maybe that would change if I paid more.

I can make the salt the way that I like it with some acid and calcium chloride, so parameters don't matter at all to me.

It amazes me the lengths that people will go through for lots of things in this hobby, yet most do not want to take a one-time 10-15 minutes to figure out how to doctor up their salt mix to be perfect for them. The application after this is less than a minute each time. This is not hard. This is one of the most basic foundational things in the hobby and most cannot be bothered with it.

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself it is reliable, clean salt. What does this mean?

reliable salt is stuff that is properly, and reliability balanced with trace elements, and clean being that after I let my PMUP+Heater run for 8 hours it has no residue thereafter.

xyzner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using IO or Reef Crystals on sps tanks, what do you do about the higher alk it mixes to? I’d love to save the money but had concerns about the alkalinity thing…

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using IO or Reef Crystals on sps tanks, what do you do about the higher alk it mixes to? I’d love to save the money but had concerns about the alkalinity thing…
when the average person does a water change, they dont change all the water. it wont be too high of an alk.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially it was availability, now I just stick with what works.

I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro for years now, works well for my corals. When I do a water change I simply skip dosing that day to account for the slight swing in the inflated parameters. If I'm starting out with a new tank or doing a large scale water change, I just let it mix over night and let the elevated values precipitate out.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price, Price, and (just for the sake of variety) Chemistry. So 1,1, and 3.

Honestly, all the major name brands are pretty good these days. I use Reef Crystals, because it's (relatively) inexpensive, always available, and it mixes up a bit higher in calcium and alkalinity.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the Corals react #1. Mixing clean and consistency. Price isn’t a factor, the coral I’m keeping is a lot pricier than the salt. With that said I’m using TMPro. I’ve been using it for 10 yrs and I won’t be switching.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost and availability I guess. I've only ever used reef crystals for the past 12 years and never saw a reason to switch away from it. It was cheap and available.

I am planning on switching to regular instant ocean however, because I don't want the extra alk/cal that's in reef crystals, so I guess the chemistry is a guiding factor for that as well now. But until I started dosing trace elements and such manually, the specific chemistry didn't matter at all to me.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. 4. 5. I choose.
1 is cost as dont feel the need to pay anymore than need to pay if does the job.so get 10x2kg bags of regular io as cheaper than a 20kg bucket,plus 1x2kg bag makes up exactly 50 litres of 1.025 sg water so use 2x 25 litre drums of rodi each wc so just easier

4 is how readily available it is,I read if change salt doesn't matter that much and no harm done but just seems right to keep using same salt, so my regular instant ocean always available via amazon.

5.how the livestock responds to it,as in number 1,I read all salts will do the job so no need pay more and if no contaminate or something going wrong with the salt ( like possible/suspected problems with tropic marin turkey salt where giving refunds) then all salts seem to be fit for purpose.

I read alot want their salt to be as close to their parameters they run tank at but read also when tank starts getting packed with corals that uptake alk/cal then need to dose anyway even if salt mix is close to parameters you want and can add stuff to newly made saltwater to raise or lower a parameter taking only a minute or so as already been mentioned in this thread.
So only new at 15 months owning a reef tank and tank not full of really expensive corals but also as already mentioned some really nice tanks with expensive "high end corals" use regular io salt so if good enough for those beautiful tanks then good enough for my humble tank ^_^

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back