The most overrated & underrated coral in the hobby?

BE HONEST: How much does what others say about coral factor in to what corals you keep?

• Big factor

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 181 22.7%
  • A Little

Votes: 266 33.3%
  • None at all

Votes: 300 37.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated mushrooms mushrooms mushrooms I love them and collect them but I’m not paying hundreds of dollars or thousands for it just insane it’s not like they are rare

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef keeping here is like neighborhoods. a lot of trying to impress the neighbors, increase curb appeal, and turning of noses at out of vogue 'inferior' livestock and equipment. Doesn't really hinder me much, but maybe a little. Probably turns a lot of people off of reefing though.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go with other. Simply, I don’t get swayed by what others think is the best coral. I do, however, Look at what others have as sometimes I will see something I have never seen before. That may Motivate me but only if I like it.

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is really underrated are Trachyphilias. they cost less than scrolls yet look similar, are easy to keep, and come in great colors. I got my first one 2 months ago and now have 3. it is one of my favorite corals.

PachecoBoston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most SPS are overrated, boring and don't even look good unless they are under unnaturally blue light.
If you think sps is overrated or you can’t afford to buy it. Just say. But don’t call the most beautiful creatures in saltwater “boring”. It’s ridiculous

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think sps is overrated or you can’t afford to buy it. Just say. But don’t call the most beautiful creatures in saltwater “boring”. It’s ridiculous

I happen to agree though. SPS may speak to others, but they just look like a bunch of colorful sticks to me. The fact that they are harder AND more expensive to keep is even more of a turn off.

I can understand seeking the challenge, but outside of that, SPS seems like a giant waste of money (in a hobby where we already just shovel cash into these clear boxes).

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overrated: Every coral that needs photo shop, special lenses or light settings I will never use on my tank to sell.

underrated: kenya trees. They are shunned like a number of other corals that are thought of as weeds. IMO, they are graceful, like bonsai in the tank. They just need some pruning and removal of the shoots like you would a plant in the garden. I let the shoot that drop behind the rock work be, adds to the natural filtration.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most overrated corals are any of the hard to keep sps. They are cool, but are they worth the trouble? Are people just bored and want something to talk about?

Underrated are definitely chyphastrea which has great color and durability. I am not sure why that is not everyone's beginner coral. Any of the 'easy' corals also seem to get overlooked and are great choices that can be found almost any bargain bin. Growth with good tolerability definitely increase the fun.

uhh u mean like Acropora?
or like Dendronepthya sp.
and some NPS and SPS

JustAnotherReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: any manufactured inflation via Photoshop or a name.

Underrated : any of the encrusting corals. They look amazing when they spread on rocks but hard to get off the rock to frag

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to pass judgement on "overrated" because if you like it and you can afford it you should get it, who am I to say you shouldn't spend $1000+ on a mushroom?

But underrated: digitata. Forest fire digi is my favorite coral

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: I don’t know. Haven’t seen enough in person to judge that. I personally can’t imagine spending hundreds or thousands for anything, but to each their own.
Underrated: I like the old ORA acros. Joe the coral and Hawkins echinata are two of my favorites that I have.

deleau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What others think only factors in the pricing of some coral; I get what I like. Sometimes, they cost a lot, sometimes they don't.

Underrated: There are plenty of awesome "sticks" that are not Acropora...

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Bounce Mushrooms. Don't get me wrong, I love mushrooms. Easily in my top 5 type of corals. But bounce mushrooms are overtated and overpriced, especially once you consider that the "bounce" is essentially a tumor that formed due to some stressor existing in the system that had an adverse affect on the mushroom, causing it to form the tumor.

Underrated: Duncans and Blastomussas. I hardly ever hear anyone actually talking about them with as much gusto as they do other corals. Both can be very beautiful corals, but I never really see anyone get super hyped for them, unless they are being sold in a live sale, in which case every coral is being hyped up, even a $5 GSP coral gets mad hype during live sales!!! But outside of live sales, I don't see these corals getting anywhere near the love as say Zoas or Torches. And when people are recommending corals for beginners, I rarely see either mentioned even though both are very hardy and can grow to be very impressive looking.

As a side note, my Blastomussa was my first coral and my Duncan was my 3rd or 4th, and they have been two of my healthiest and toughest corals surviving direct attacks from Aiptasia, accidental ingestion of of Aiptasia X, and getting knocked over and damaged by rocks. So I wasn't kidding when I said they are tough (and thus freat for beginners).

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I voted Not at All.

If its rated either way that's nothing more than an opinion and we all have them.
over thirty years ago I got over pier pressure and personal life competition with others.
I do me and you can do you.

That said I like Pulsating Zenia, yes most think there a plague but so what.
That said I like all the corals that I have bought based on the wow factor and how cool I think they are. YMMV

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like heavy blue lighting. My orange digitate and green slimmer are probably my favorite corals. Cheap, easy to grow, and absolutely stunning under more white lights from any distance. If you need a macro shot under actinic lighting to make a coral look good, it isn't for me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back