The most overrated & underrated coral in the hobby?

BE HONEST: How much does what others say about coral factor in to what corals you keep?

• Big factor

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 181 22.7%
  • A Little

Votes: 266 33.3%
  • None at all

Votes: 300 37.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: designer acros that have a high price tag but don't look much different than each other
Underrated: hairy mushrooms, gorgonians

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most SPS are overrated, boring and don't even look good unless they are under unnaturally blue light.

The same kinda holds true for any coral, especially zoas. I actually managed to get really nice color out my sticks using t5 with a single actinic and the rest a split of blue + & coral +. My corals glow but my tank definitely doesn’t have that blue “windex” look either. I think the real difference is how the coral is kept. I remember seeing a packed sps tank with low nutrients and half a dozen radion g4 pro’s over it running full-blast. It was the most boring, monochromatic tank I’ve ever seen. I actually traded that guy for a red planet frag that looked like a christmas candy cane and a few weeks later turned into what a red planet should actually look like. I feed my tank and don’t fear Po4. It makes a huge difference in color and it’s something not enough sps keepers do.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Overpriced designer SPS corals that only look good in photoshopped, crank up the blues pictures!
Underrated: Purple Monti Cap
100% agree. Corals really should be shown in MH, t5 or at least natural-looking led. A yellow coris wrasse should pose with these frags and if it doesn’t look like a swimming banana, then we know something is up.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me a newbie...
Overrated - $60 Designer Name Single Zoa Polys
Underrated - Live mine have seen anyone talk about 1 on here since I joined... Bubble Coral

Haus40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over-rated-to me, acros. I get the challenge and the pride but I’d prefer a nice birdsnest to get the stick effect. (Honorable mention to bounce and jawbreakers but I think they have a more niche appeal in the hobby)

Under rated-Acans. Variety of colors and patterns, active tentacle feeding, and the fleshy polyps are nice. I don’t know why they’re not more popular but because of that I love the bang for the buck.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over rated: torches, jawbreakers and bounce shrooms, bubble tips and anything else commonly photoshopped and given a fake name.

underated: GSP and digitatas

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over rated: fancy named stuff

under rated: gsp, leathers, no name disco shrooms... (the easy stuf)

when I started my new tank I bought a 6 plug package of zoas. I was only buying 5 polyp minimum.
I go to pick up the package and the vendor has sold one to some one else with no like frag to replace it with.
I'm looking at the replacement. single polyp. less than an .125 in diameter. I'm not happy. he shows me on line pics.
Space Chaos. $200/polyp.
I'm thinking it should be called a Canardly Zoa as in I Canardly see it.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: bounce mushrooms

Underrated: a lot of the leathers, and hairy mushrooms

I don't hate mushrooms, I just think bounce mushrooms look like they're covered in tumors and about to die

eanastasio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Think discussions like this come up a lot and no matter if you prefer white light natural looking tanks or actinic hypebeast coral tanks. More demand and hype in any hobby can be a good thing. New Hype coral prices skyrocket, bring more attention back to the species, we start seeing so many varities that we didnt seem to be around before. if the demand is there, then people will devote more time and effort into finding, aquaculturing, and bringing in new varieties. Don't like the price? wait a couple years. Sure we have to take the bad with the good as some people will name a common coral and sell for 5x, but just sift through the bad sellers. But Not every named coral is a ripoff, im willing to pay more for an aquacultured frag thats been in captivity for years. But more variety and choices we all win.
Anyway. End rant lol

Overrated: Microlords "acans"

Underrated: Blastomussa, starting to see some cool varities though

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Big Factor. Since I buy everything online I read up on everything. I consider it all. Give it what worth I think it deserves and make my dream list. It is like reading reviews.

Back