The most overrated & underrated coral in the hobby?

BE HONEST: How much does what others say about coral factor in to what corals you keep?

• Big factor

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 181 22.7%
  • A Little

Votes: 266 33.3%
  • None at all

Votes: 300 37.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

ron garnett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a while now and what I'm seeing as far as pricing, is ridiculous. I certainly don't mind supporting the suppliers but, I can't believe hobbiests are willing to pay the kinds of prices some suppliers are asking today. SPS, LPS all seem to be overated and overpriced. Even some zoas are priced beyond reach.

Underated: Corals that don't require you to sell your first born to purchase it.

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be sad @rtn ! I’m still happy for all the happy mushroom lovers out there. They just don’t do it for me :D

I'll be honest, I'm not really into bounce or super fancy mushrooms either. Heck, when I got started, I wasn't into mushrooms at all. But when you get a few different color morphs growing in the same area, it makes a cool "garden", similar to zoas imo. Do I want generic mushrooms spreading over the tank? Nope.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Jaw dropper. I just don't get the price point on this one. Have to really squint under ideal light conditions for it to be that amazing to pay so much money for.

Underrated: Corals that look great, but don't have a name attached to them. As long as it looks good and has good growth and survive-ability, then who cares what it's called in the hobby?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated - overpriced SPS

underrated - Duncan corals ... they can almost look like an elegance when taken care of ... and easy to grow

I got my Duncan with 4 heads. looked at it closely the other day after a water change, and there's now 6 NEW heads! holy smoke! I am a happy camper!

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a while now and what I'm seeing as far as pricing, is ridiculous. I certainly don't mind supporting the suppliers but, I can't believe hobbiests are willing to pay the kinds of prices some suppliers are asking today. SPS, LPS all seem to be overated and overpriced. Even some zoas are priced beyond reach.

Underated: Corals that don't require you to sell your first born to purchase it.
Yeah... Cost has gone up... But I'm hoping it's temporary... The (only) shop I use in my area is always priced on point, always looks out for the customer .. so to see higher costs now- I know they're seeing higher costs on their end...
Plus side she's having a sweet deal this weekend.. over 200 frags at $20 a pop ... So anyone in Ocala FL area, Go stock up at Aquatic Design for a deal, and patiently wait for it to blossom in the tank lol, love buying small baby frags and watching them grow

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id say those round things called scollies! my dad comes over and says whots that plasticine on the bottom of your tank! and then whot does it do! :D silly money some of these!

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did just see a 2” Godzilla bounce selling for $500 here. I mean, come on! $500...that goes beyond overrated...that’s gets filed in the “if you buy that for $500, you’re insane” section.

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the mushroom band wagon, jaw breakers and bounce are ridiculous! Also on the torch band wagon for over rated.
Under rated, with the Duncan’s and I personally love the montiporas.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve said this b4: in the 90’s LPS: brains, frogspawn et were actually cheaper and easier to get thatn acros overrated: scoly’s and designer named acros
underrated: Porites, Massive “classic” Caribbean brain corals, platys, cyph’s

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated - Pectinia
Overrated - Acros that you can't work out what species they are / wild collected - like I know a WD is a tenuis - I know what growth should look like and that it should do well - I can then decide I it's worth the money - but a new name like it could be a microlados and require really perfect conditions in a tank and would likely not make it - it's a lucky dip and usually that means it looks good now and then turns brown or worse

CoralExotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the people who say the wwc bounce mushroom is overrated has probably never owned one. When healthy with giant bubbles, they are a show stopper. Even my non reefer friends always notice that coral over everything else. That said, i do agree that some other bounces are overrated and just plain ugly.

While I love SPS and own a lot of high end sticks, I think sps dominated tanks are the most overrated. They’re just boring visually to me.

The most underrated coral is the Platygyra! No one EVER talks about them.

399B874B-8350-4E70-9BDA-A16BA4D98C56.jpeg

Back