The name game, craziest, dumbest, coral names you have seen

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"All of the above"

If it has a silly, stupid name just to drive up the price... I don't want it.

The only exception I have ever made in my tank is this strain of Micromussa lordhowensis: https://reefbuilders.com/2017/08/29/mardi-gras-lord-coral/

But only because I know the owners of Epic Aquaria, and all the good they've done for the hobby in North Louisiana. That Lobo reminds me of them every time I look at it. :)

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you must go and think of the craziest far out name and post it here for a laugh. Unicorn fart zoa sounds good.
Can hardly pronounce any of the 10,000 plus names all these coral pieces not to even mention the list of macros. I choose em by going. Gee that’s a pretty one look all da colors, then I get it if it’s photosynthetic and seahorse safe

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dumbest name I’ve ever encountered was actually one I helped come up with. A little story...back at macna in 2004 or 2005 there was a booth ran by I think it was called FRAGexchange. I happened to stumble upon this booth and ended up helping them as a volunteer pretty much the whole weekend, we had a ton of random corals that were donated and spent the whole conference fragging them all up and giving them away. We had everything from small SPS colonies to LPS to big toadstool leathers and of course Zoa rocks. This was before naming corals was really much of a thing it was JUST starting to appear with most names being extremely generic or having the person’s name in it (think Bali green slimer and the big one I remember was the original Purple People Eaters). Anyway back on track, I remember one afternoon we were fragging a generic zoa rock, nothing special or spectacular just some zoas, when someone asks us “hey what are these called” . We reply with just zoas and they then ask, “but what KIND are they?” We all kind of looked at each other and jokingly came up with something stupid like “FRAGexchange super awesome zoas” it may have been something green because all zoas were green then...lol. We all had a chuckle at it and just kept fragging for the rest of the conference. I thought oh well that’s that until a year or 2 later I saw on a forum someone listing them for trade or sale under that stupid name we came up with on the spot there. Sorry for the rant but it’s one of those stories I will allways remember in this hobby.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that could be confused with a medical-grade cannabis strain is my favorite. I swear some of these sound like names from Pineapple Express LOL

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back