The Natural Water Experiment

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I live in the PNW (Port Angeles Wa) and myself and a buddy of mine have been doing offshore crabbing lately, so while out boating I was looking at the water and it’s crystal clear saltwater other than seaweed and occasional bird poop etc. So I asked on R2R if anyone used the natural water, I got some responses but not much, so I decided to set up a test tank in the garage and check this water out. Today I harvested the first 5 gallons of the 20 gal tank I plan to test in (harvested around 6ft from the surface sonar read:140ft depth to the bottom. off the very end of Ediz hook here on the straight of Juan de Fuca) I just added the water and put in a heater to bring it to Tank temperature (water runs between 52-56 degrees here) so I plan to test the water for as many things I can add some rock down the road and maybe introduce some livestock way way down the road if everything seems to check out. Any comments are welcome (NO Dolphins will be harmed in this experiment.... I don’t think anyway) Next 5 gallons of water harvest will take place tomorrow. After that I will start testing parameters.
7cd9e36f50bab83e0db445485dfd56ef.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It couldn’t hurt to pour the water through a sock to remove seaweed or other debris that might be out there to keep that out of the tank.
The ocean water in San Diego is low in Dkh, magnesium and calcium so I would suggest that you test your ocean parameters to see if you need to supplement it to match tropical reef waters? Gl

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue with using natural seawater is that you never know what hitchhikers it's bringing along.
Could include any number of microscopic parasites and/or larvae and spores of nuisance corals and algae.
The water around here is actually thick with life; you can really see this when scuba diving, as the vis is nothing like in tropical waters.
OTOH, it's possible that most organisms that live in Puget Sound water won't do well at the higher tropical water temp.
This could be good if it kills off unwanted hitchhikers, but bad if there's a lot of die off which could generate ammonia, nitrate, etc.
You can always filter seawater through a 1 micron filter sock, but this is so tedious it's probably easier to make your own water.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another 5 gallons in today and heating. Still crystal clear. I will test salinity, nitrite, nitrate, Ammonia , hardness, ph.... I think that’s all I have, Later. Once it gets to temp. Next 5 gallons will go in tomorrow (rain or shine or wind. crab pots legally have to come out of the water) I put a old power head in there to keep the water moving at least.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue with using natural seawater is that you never know what hitchhikers it's bringing along.
Could include any number of microscopic parasites and/or larvae and spores of nuisance corals and algae.
The water around here is actually thick with life; you can really see this when scuba diving, as the vis is nothing like in tropical waters.
OTOH, it's possible that most organisms that live in Puget Sound water won't do well at the higher tropical water temp.
This could be good if it kills off unwanted hitchhikers, but bad if there's a lot of die off which could generate ammonia, nitrate, etc.
You can always filter seawater through a 1 micron filter sock, but this is so tedious it's probably easier to make your own water.

No seaweed this water is clear as if it came from the tap, I don’t live near the pudget sound I’m in between Canada and Washington on the Olympic peninsula. Much clearer “ocean” water although not on the ocean. Not a ton of boat traffic and the water comes in and out with the tide. I’m the blue marker on the picture.
496ed0ee577c9fe663a8c4bb2589683b.jpg

Steve Bullington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to by the Pudget sound, and used ocean water in one of my tanks....but that tank was for critters I used to take out sound...I caught a beat up octopus ( giant type ) it was on my fish line. It Was only apple sized. I kept it untill he didn't look so beat up, had feed it crabs. Then let it go...but I can attest for critters in the water. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE "REAL" OCEAN WATER. All sorts of hitchhikers will be in there. You want to control your environment as much as possible.....

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No seaweed this water is clear as if it came from the tap, I don’t live near the pudget sound I’m in between Canada and Washington on the Olympic peninsula. Much clearer “ocean” water although not on the ocean. Not a ton of boat traffic and the water comes in and out with the tide. I’m the blue marker on the picture.
496ed0ee577c9fe663a8c4bb2589683b.jpg

And I also can’t spell Puget lol [emoji23]

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to by the Pudget sound, and used ocean water in one of my tanks....but that tank was for critters I used to take out sound...I caught a beat up octopus ( giant type ) it was on my fish line. It Was only apple sized. I kept it untill he didn't look so beat up, had feed it crabs. Then let it go...but I can attest for critters in the water. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE "REAL" OCEAN WATER. All sorts of hitchhikers will be in there. You want to control your environment as much as possible.....

Kept for the critters and octopus but did you heat it to tropical tank temp and use it there? (Not that I will but that’s the experiment) right now it’s just a tank with water. And that’s awesome you nursed a giant back to health those guys are cool I fed one a 5” rock crab once he swooped around it before the crab could hit the bottom.

Steve Bullington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept for the critters and octopus but did you heat it to tropical tank temp and use it there? (Not that I will but that’s the experiment) right now it’s just a tank with water. And that’s awesome you nursed a giant back to health those guys are cool I fed one a 5” rock crab once he swooped around it before the crab could hit the bottom.
Kept it cold like the sound

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test tank is 3/4 full. Needed the powerhead for a water change in my DT so I put an old filter in there to move water. Still just a tank of water, I’m going to put an old light above in the next couple days and add some rock to see if any algae grows. I won’t be able to test water tonight or tomorrow but hopefully Friday or Saturday I can. My crabbing buddy went fishing in Alaska so I won’t be able to fill and do a minor water change until next week!

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the aiptasia doing? Did you decide on how you’re going to treat it?

My heater malfunctioned in my DT raiding the temp to 97. Got it back down to 80 throughout the evening so now I’m waiting to see what happens, hence no time for anything else at this point but! Hopefully the temp killed off the Aiptasia... tbd. My fish are alive, all corals look rough...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back