THE NECROSIS COASTER!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am absolutely serious when I say that there is a full blown "psychological journey" that I go on every time I happen upon the simplest malady in one of the pieces of my collection. More often, a small bit of exposed skeleton somewhere at the base, or somewhere on the body. Or it could be simple polyp retraction, or just a general sense that something is off. It can be a ferocious and overwhelming feeling, but this is a process I have come to fully understand, and even sometimes able to ignore over the years - but I will never be used to it. No matter how many times I have to go through this process, I’ve gotten a lot better at not freaking out completely, my coping mechanisms are never consistent either.

ae447649-2b69-431f-8655-36763d1d5c93_zps7nqxbrc4.png

I am going to try to put this process in words for you the best I can in hopes that we can all try to understand and feel more at ease when we discover things that terrify us. Admit it, you have been there at least once or twice.

First off, we must first discover the issue. While browsing over an otherwise healthy, or “normal” collection, but still carrying an expectation for something unexpected, I’ll notice something’s off, usually in just one particular coral, but maybe more than one. (I’ll expand on this later) No matter how many times I experience this initial discovery, many many times now, I still feel it. My heart starts beating a little faster, and casual enjoyable viewing of my collection has now rooted itself into nervous anxiety. I’ll then do a closer inspection to confirm that I am actually seeing something that I’m not supposed to be seeing - followed then by visual confirmation.

Nervous_Man_Approach_Anxiety_zpsdcl7ovrk.jpg

Whether it’s a small patch of tissue necrosis or a flake of exposed skeleton somewhere on the coral body, at this point I can not deny what is in front of me. And I am now in a different mode completely. A casual and pleasant moment with my specimens has now become a moderately dire situation. No matter how minute my discovery may be, I will not be able to enjoy the collection again like I had before the discovery until the concern has been quelled or eliminated. I have come to accept the fact that even when things are doing well, I am always in some way preparing myself mentally to find something that I will be surprised by. I know that I have conditioned myself to this state over the years. My ritualistic morning check of the collection is generally one of hopeful but nervous expectation, followed by gentle relief if things look fine, or a continued mental acceptance of whatever oddity I may see or discover, rather than the shock I may experience if I had not been expecting to see something.

Next comes a full system scan. This step immediately follows the visual confirmation of anything from a speck of exposed skeleton, to severe polyp retraction or tissue loss of any amount. I’ll do a rapid (not frantic) scan of everything else in the tank, beginning with any duplicates of the afflicted coral, for any symptom similar to what I have discovered. This is actually is a huge deal because, what happens next will determine any further course of action. If after a thorough looking over, I cannot find another single instance of the initial issue that prompted the scan, I will usually exhale, call it a fluke and ride it out for at least couple days, taking no action at this point. However, if I find the exact symptom or symptoms in two or more pieces, my concerns become a little more sincere, as now I can’t easily pass this off as a fluke. I’ll admit, seeing the condition in a second piece is probably more nerve racking than the initial discovery, because at that point I feel that I may actually have a problem. I am already running through crash scenarios and contingencies for whatever may be heading down the pipe. A bit of an overreaction at this point, but I always skip right to the worst case scenario in my thought processes. However disastrous that may be, from loosing one or two entire colonies, to a total sweeping and devastating tank crash. This doomsday approach is inevitably where my mind rushes to - every time.

IntoTheLight_zpsn9uu8vb0.jpg

And finally, If I do discover two or more pieces with similar symptoms, even though my instinct is really urging me to react, the decision I face now is - do I react immediately, and if so, what’s my course of action? Or do I simply ride it out? Normally, unless it’s something like cloudy water, or an obvious issue like a parameter swing that I can immediately address, I’ll ride it out for at least one night or two and hope things just recover on their own - or at the very least don’t get any worse.

The good news here is that, a lot of the times, not always, but often, things do seem to work themselves out with little or no intervention by me at all, and the process stops here until the next incident. And even if the coral's are clearly going down hill fast, as long as the symptoms don't pop up in anything else, I will also ride it out indefinitely and simply call it a fluke. Believe me I’ve had tons of these “flukes” over the years and I’ve gotten a lot better at dealing with them, but again I will never be “used” to them. This I am sure of, as the myriad of possible issues that can affect our tanks and coral is essentially limitless, and the second I find myself in a sort of semi-stasis with the tank, perhaps after a longer period without any incident, the rug’s pulled out the second I see that teeny tiny patch of white skeleton and I revert back to the third paragraph again.

f3854d67-8246-4998-ad8e-4232d520cd71_zps5gelq93a.png

What I have really learned over the years, after dealing with countless unexplained coral maladies and nerve shakers, is that there is a time to react - and a time to sit still. More often than not, at least in my case, sitting still has always the best plan of attack. I’ve had corals half, or nearly all dead, stop receding, and recover on their own almost like magic, and I've had lots more just keep going till they are all done dying on me. I don't believe anything I may have done at this point would have prevented their demise, short of cutting a frag in an effort to preserve the line. I truly think the best weapon we can have against these tumultuous and neurosis inducing instances, is to stay as calm and cool as we can, and try our very hardest not to go "bananas" - even if our brain has done its best to prepare us for the absolute worst case scenario it can come up with and is vehemently instructing us to do the exact opposite.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this happens to all of us. The difference is, we're looking at the investment that we have in this particular coral and how whatever is going on will effect the other corals in our tank. You, on the other hand, are looking at how it effects your livelihood. I have to believe the anxiety level increases exponentially.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that little, obscurities occur from light changes to sand disruptions that cause some of our coral to be unhappy! I agree that one should never over react. Over reaction will cause more harm than good! I wait it out and only when confronted with the obvious end result will I start fragging the live to sustain the lineage! I try to assimilate the potential causes and try mitigating reoccurrences.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam,

Been a long time since my last order from you... My experiences with STN/RTN have been the same. I have found some root causes in my 420G system through the years. Maybe it's anecdotal but the trends result in repeatable outcomes.

I usually had necrosis in the following scenarios:
1. Alk too high yet nutrient levels too low. (both NO3 and PO4 = 0 ppm)
2. Alk spikes (fairly typical cause for RTN)
3. Magnesium too high (over 1500 ppm) causes STN
4. Not enough flow (may not be necrosis but die off inside the colonies)

These are my issues with SPS primarily now that I have an Alkalinity controller and running my Calcium Reactor again instead of just 2 part.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Necrosis is often associated with the failure to follow the often mentioned advise to keep parameters and tank water stable. SPS generally gets cranky and become stressed out if certain parameters such as temperature, alkalinity, calcium, pH, and salinity changes significantly . These changes place coral in a weakened state and make them susceptible to infection. Lack of maintenance is not a reef keeper’s friend so it is very important to be diligent and test key parameters
ir
on a regularly. It is important to assure test kits are accurate and youre not achieving false readings. Get a second opinion from water test at your local LFS.
RTN will always be one of the most frustrating mysteries with reef keeping and there is nothing more alarming than waking up to find just like that, your SPS coral suddenly loses its' tissue and turns white achieving total bleaching within 24-48 hours effecting all or part of the coral

Example:

necros14.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping SPS has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I'm not sure if it's reassuring or terrifying that someone at your level of experience still goes through that. Clearly you have a lot more riding on your corals, but I think we all have an attachment to the corals we keep and when they go down we follow.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joke this is what made me nearly leave the hobby. I downsized and it was a good decision for me. The anxiety of getting up every morning to see how things fared overnight was too much.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joke this is what made me nearly leave the hobby. I downsized and it was a good decision for me. The anxiety of getting up every morning to see how things fared overnight was too much.

I agree fully......I am still going to keep SPS, but invest very slowly and acclimate pieces as needed. And I am also slowly progressing over to hammers, torches, etc to added to my aquascape. The funny, or sad part is, when people who are not in the hobby visit they are immediately drawn to the LPS's and could care less about a JF or alike SPS. Plus I have three kids in college and quite frankly I am tired over investing hundreds of dollars into SPS's.

But GREAT ARTICLE above and words to live by. Sage advice is always very helpful, at least so we don't feel alone when one or more of our prices pieces starts going south.

Thank you for your contribution BC

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keeping SPS has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I'm not sure if it's reassuring or terrifying that someone at your level of experience still goes through that. Clearly you have a lot more riding on your corals, but I think we all have an attachment to the corals we keep and when they go down we follow.

Right there with you believe me. I think it's just part of the challenge. Truly, it's a psychological gauntlet trying to keep these things alive and happy without going crazy ourselves lol. I think that's how I've really changed or improved the most over the years. I am able to "handle" these quirks better, as opposed to stoping or preventing them. Still, extremely gratifying when things are going well though.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you come across the issues are you able to pinpoint what was changed or are you usually left guessing?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When you come across the issues are you able to pinpoint what was changed or are you usually left guessing?

9.5 times out of 10 id say its a fluke although I've had a few ICP test reveal smoking guns, the most blaring was extremely low iodine a while back. I was seeing odd tissue issues, and mild but random base recession. I corrected it and did see a significant improvement. This was one of those instances where there were more than one or two pieces affected similarly, and I felt I needed to act more aggressively to solve it. Was just around the time triton came to the states. I'd say if you have a clear culprit then obviously that is a time to react, but when the causes are more elusive, I am way less aggressive in my efforts to solve them.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what’s your saying. It seem that my morning viewing is more of an inspection of what has happened during the lights out period and the evening viewing is more for my enjoyment.

Having just recently gone through the loss of three colonies. Two of which seemed to go at the speed of light and the other painfully slow, it’s extremely frustrating and hard not to over react.

So I can avoid the that anxiety of the morning inspections, I am going to leave my lights on 24 hours...no lights out no problems. ;)

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this article. I've found a similar emotional progression over my own tank years. There was a time I'd just stop looking at the tank because it was like sticking my head in the sand (if I don't see it, maybe it's not really happening). Then I went through a phase of over-reacting to every little hick-up, making radical changes to what I was doing whenever there was a sniff of "wrongness". Now I've evolved into a similar state with Adam, check everything else out, then let it ride a couple days. Biggest step for me was when I realized that "hey, not everything is going to make it but get enjoyment out of those that are". I'm mostly LPS, just dabbling in SPS, but the same reactions to something being off apply.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9.5 times out of 10 id say its a fluke although I've had a few ICP test reveal smoking guns, the most blaring was extremely low iodine a while back. I was seeing odd tissue issues, and mild but random base recession. I corrected it and did see a significant improvement. This was one of those instances where there were more than one or two pieces affected similarly, and I felt I needed to act more aggressively to solve it. Was just around the time triton came to the states. I'd say if you have a clear culprit then obviously that is a time to react, but when the causes are more elusive, I am way less aggressive in my efforts to solve them.

Iodine the cause of base recession? I've been dealing with base recession on several acros and everything seems to be fine; however, my last few icp tests have pinpointed low iodine and the other related elements, interested to hear that you have diagnosed it as a culprit for tissue recession.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, this has the potential to become a very important thread in problem solving tissue recession for those with intermediate to advanced experience with acro keeping.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine the cause of base recession? I've been dealing with base recession on several acros and everything seems to be fine; however, my last few icp tests have pinpointed low iodine and the other related elements, interested to hear that you have diagnosed it as a culprit for tissue recession.
Same here. My iodine reads fine on my red sea kit but I have no idea how accurate that is. I'm wondering about iron as well. This stems from the fact that I have a big refugium with chaeto and a very powerful horticulture LED. The chaeto is stalled despite 16-32ppm NO3 and 0.33ppm PO4. I think I'm just going to take the chaeto offline at this point and focus on water changes.

This tank ran PERFECTLY with tons of growth prior to adding the refugium and now I'm getting recession for no reason. So annoying.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. My iodine reads fine on my red sea kit but I have no idea how accurate that is. I'm wondering about iron as well. This stems from the fact that I have a big refugium with chaeto and a very powerful horticulture LED. The chaeto is stalled despite 16-32ppm NO3 and 0.33ppm PO4. I think I'm just going to take the chaeto offline at this point and focus on water changes.

This tank ran PERFECTLY with tons of growth prior to adding the refugium and now I'm getting recession for no reason. So annoying.
I harvest almost a gallon of chaeto a week from my sump.... not surprised that my iron and related elements read 0 via triton. I'm just surprised, and somewhat relieved, to hear that iodine issues "could" be the cause of my tissue recession.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back into the hobby last year after a little hiatus from fish only and now have the start of a promising reef.
I know exactly what you mean about the anxiety. I’m in the process of learning the patience side of the hobby and to wait and see. I’ve personally overreacted and created more problems. If it’s not an emergency I don’t change anything. I still worry, contemplate, and think about what to do but don’t act. 9/10 times it’s good the one time I need to act I do. It’s helped my fledgling reef

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back