The new fish in the school tank and sea hare galore!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tomorrow I’m getting a fish donation for the school tank I’m so excited! I currently have a melanurus wrasse, pair of clownfish, dottyback, and chromis in the school tank. Tomorrow a bicolor angelfish, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, spotted sharpnose pufferfish, and bristletooth tang are being delivered! Along with a dolabella and green sea hare to help clean up the hair algae issue. I’m curious what is the longest you’ve ever had a sea hare? I need to cover the powerheads before I put them in so they don’t get pulverized. I’m hoping for the best with the sea hares as I’ve never had them. Has anyone kept them with a melanarus and puffer? They are fairly large so I’d be surprised if either one of them decides to eat them. I hope I can get them to eat prepared foods like nori and macroalgae to help sustain them long term once the algae disappears. Any advice or experience is appreciated.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a sea hare twice for algae removal. Neither lasted long enough to eat all the algae. I have no idea why they passed. First one lasted maybe a month (it was quite a while ago) second one only lasted a few days.
That’s so sad! From what I heard it’s really hit or miss with them.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sea hare , they are algae eating machines tbh. Watch the power heads tho because they will get cut in to bits . Watch cleaner shrimp if you have any . My shrimp was always bugging the hare . It never inked tho

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a sea hare , they are algae eating machines tbh. Watch the power heads tho because they will get cut in to bits . Watch cleaner shrimp if you have any . My shrimp was always bugging the hare . It never inked tho
I have no shrimp! I will be covering the powerheads before I add them.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sea hare is undisturbed and has good quality water and are acclimated, they can eat a lot of algae. They are sensitive to nitrate and phosphate levels, like most inverts... and probably moreso than most inverts. If this one is a donation from another tank, then your chances are really good if your no3 and po4 are lower.

lincolnnash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I’m getting a fish donation for the school tank I’m so excited! I currently have a melanurus wrasse, pair of clownfish, dottyback, and chromis in the school tank. Tomorrow a bicolor angelfish, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, spotted sharpnose pufferfish, and bristletooth tang are being delivered! Along with a dolabella and green sea hare to help clean up the hair algae issue. I’m curious what is the longest you’ve ever had a sea hare? I need to cover the powerheads before I put them in so they don’t get pulverized. I’m hoping for the best with the sea hares as I’ve never had them. Has anyone kept them with a melanarus and puffer? They are fairly large so I’d be surprised if either one of them decides to eat them. I hope I can get them to eat prepared foods like nori and macroalgae to help sustain them long term once the algae disappears. Any advice or experience is appreciated.
Do you get them in the tank? I'd like some pictures :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you get them in the tank? I'd like some pictures :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I like your name haha! Twins except mine is my last name lol! I post a lot of photos and videos on the Instagram and Facebook @TheFishTankAtNCC and there’s no more hair algae woohoo! I just bought some tasty macros for the sea hares now and will be adding more light to the schedule to grow more food for them too.
IMG_0613.jpeg
IMG_0619.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m contemplating a sea hare for hair algae. What is an acceptable nitrate and phosphate level for these animals? They do an amazing job with hair algae from everything I’m reading.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back