The new guy

Diesel 2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.. I'm new at this reef tank stuff and need some advice please. I have a 75 gallon reef tank mostly soft corals . I recently bought a small leather finger and epoxies it to a peice of live rock and one of my snails got on it and broke the stem right at the base. I picked it up and the thing just came right off in my hand. Not knowing what to do I just put in in a brighter spot with better flow in the sand. Do you know if this will work or is it going to die? Please let me know if I can save it or not.
Thanks.
The new guy.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I’m sure others will jump in soon with answers to your question.

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.. I'm new at this reef tank stuff and need some advice please. I have a 75 gallon reef tank mostly soft corals . I recently bought a small leather finger and epoxies it to a peice of live rock and one of my snails got on it and broke the stem right at the base. I picked it up and the thing just came right off in my hand. Not knowing what to do I just put in in a brighter spot with better flow in the sand. Do you know if this will work or is it going to die? Please let me know if I can save it or not.
Thanks.
The new guy.
Welcome to R2R and good luck with the new aquarium!

Don’t know the answer to your question about saving your coral but now following your thread to find out the answer!

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
The new guy.
Welcome!

I've not had this happen to me (yet... everything does given enough time) but leathers are tough so I'm confident he'll bounce back... that must be some big strong snail! Deferring to others in case something else going on enabling snail to do that... they'll likely want all your latest water parameters from your test kits, as well as any trends in parameters over time and changes in tank, age of tank, photos taken in white light, ...

Glad you joined!

Upvote 0

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. I’m sure you’ll get an answer. My guess is that the glue didn’t have a strong enough hold. I think it will be fine.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mushrooms and leathers do not need to be glued and neither require such. These type of corals however do fare well when the stem is broken or the tissue is accidentally torn. If you feel comfortable doing such, cut the stem off above the affected area with a sharp stanley blade or scalpel. Rinse it with some tank water and put the loose stem with head between rocks somewhere, it will attach and grow again. Get rid of the left over piece on the rock before putting the rock back in the water.
You may also take it to a trusted LFS and ask them to do this for you.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back