The NEW Radion G5 XR30 Blue testing & review! | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Any recommendations for a 6 ft tank using 4 fixtures ?

any pending videos on doing the same for the pros?

The other Radion G5 versions are in the works as we speak! ;)

I think the spacing "rule of thumb" for the two different tank types will hold up pretty well on tanks larger than our 4ft 120gal. LPS= 1-Radion XR30 blue every 24"inches SPS= 1-Radion XR30 Blue every 16"-18"... I think it's important to note here that the SPS recommendation is from a place of understanding that a SPS dominated tank will eventually grow out to a point where shadowing and shading become and issue.

Last edited:

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Any recommendations for a 6 ft tank using 4 fixtures ?

any pending videos on doing the same for the pros?

I would like to hear Randy's response as well... standard 6ft tanks are common with Red Sea, Waterbox, and a standard 180. I plan to start with twice as much distance between fixtures as on the ends, considering lighting overlap. So on a 6ft. tank, I would have a fixtures at 9", 27", 45", and 63", on center. Unless you want lower light on the ends of the tank, which then I would space them evenly.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS just watched the video... thanks for the hard work! So, on a standard 180 or 750 XXL, would you do (4) Gen. 5s or (5) Gen. 4 Pros at today’s pricing, if buying new for a predominately SPS tank, planning for grow out? Obviously, the (5) Gen. 4 Pros would be slightly cheaper, but maybe not supported as long. And, any idea how long the Gen. 4 Pro (with free diffuser) pricing is good for? Finally, you mentioned that SPS shadowing will be an issue... how many G4 or G5 fixtures would I need in a 6ft tank, where shadowing isn’t an issue?

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing, GREAT 1st and 2nd VIDEO. I am not sure if you will, or can really answer this question @randyBRS, you had stated that the G5 is almost, if not, equal to a hybrid. I plan on upgrading my tank from a 4ft 120 to a 6ft 225 tank. Is it financially worth it to spend over 4000 dollars to buy 5 G5's or go with a hybrid and spend less than 3000 dollars on a hybrid. Money is not the issue as I am finding out with doing my homework for the 225 upgrade, LOL!!! ;Hilarious I am trying to figure the best option though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS just watched the video... thanks for the hard work! So, on a standard 180 or 750 XXL, would you do (4) Gen. 5s or (5) Gen. 4 Pros at today’s pricing, if buying new for a predominately SPS tank, planning for grow out? Obviously, the (5) Gen. 4 Pros would be slightly cheaper, but maybe not supported as long. And, any idea how long the Gen. 4 Pro (with free diffuser) pricing is good for? Finally, you mentioned that SPS shadowing will be an issue... how many G4 or G5 fixtures would I need in a 6ft tank, where shadowing isn’t an issue?

Let's get the pricing/availability question out of the way first. Last I checked, we're down to only XR15 Gen4 Radion Pro's with a diffuser (nothing else), meaning G4s are going quick! That's it until they're gone.

That said, if you were to copy our 750XXL with (10x) XR15s you would wind up saving about $850 by going G4. (Ryan just mentioned that he doesn't have plans to upgrade our 750 lighting for the sake of going G5, because what we have is working). Personally, as much as I like the (10x)-XR15s on our tank I just can't get over how large of a cord structure we have and how much room all of the drivers and cords take up.

Meaning that if I were in the market for a complete lighting system for the same tank, knowing what I like personally, I'm picking up (4x) XR30 Gen5... with the understanding that I fully expect (4x) lights to get me and my tank full of frags to 2-3yrs of growth down the road and barring any mishaps or setbacks; if I ever noticed that my acro colonies were dying back where they were getting shadowed or shadowing themselves, I'd add in a (5th) XR30 to compensate.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS what would you use for a 18inch wide tank. A 90 gallon 4 foot. I currently use two xr15 g4. In your 750xxl you used two rows of xr15 at 27inch wide.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing, GREAT 1st and 2nd VIDEO. I am not sure if you will, or can really answer this question @randyBRS, you had stated that the G5 is almost, if not, equal to a hybrid. I plan on upgrading my tank from a 4ft 120 to a 6ft 225 tank. Is it financially worth it to spend over 4000 dollars to buy 5 G5's or go with a hybrid and spend less than 3000 dollars on a hybrid. Money is not the issue as I am finding out with doing my homework for the 225 upgrade, LOL!!! ;Hilarious I am trying to figure the best option though.

Thanks @Billldg ! :)

If money is not my issue, I'd base my sole decision on what looks good to me aesthetically. I know that going with a hybrid option means additional gear suspended over my tank, meaning that additional gear needs to look good (or my floating canopy/hood needs to look good) otherwise I'm going with a cleaner looking option.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS what would you use for a 18inch wide tank. A 90 gallon 4 foot. I currently use two xr15 g4. In your 750xxl you used two rows of xr15 at 27inch wide.

It's tough to say at this current moment, until we test the G5 XR15s.

My gut tells me:
**LPS tanks (or targeting 75-150 PAR throughout that size of tank) - two to three XR15s in a single row..leaning towards three.
**SPS Dominated tank (200-350 PAR) - Single row of four or five XR15s or maybe even two rows of four that are offset from each other. (two in the front and two in the back, but staggered.)

This is going to be a fun one to test, because the possible configurations are numerous. In your case with only 18"inches front to back, achieving one of those goals I mentioned may be easier to do with less fixtures.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey BRS, i ordered a gen 4 xr30 pro! Can i use the new rms slide mount with it? I prefer the look of the new vs the older style...

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS THANKS that was helpful. I am going to go with two rows staggered with my stream3 pumps on opposite sides and opposite corners. Possible buy another bonsia tree and let things grow out
20191101_162138.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great set of Videos Randy. I was surprised that you are willing to upgrade and then I remembered your a gear junky :p.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get the pricing/availability question out of the way first. Last I checked, we're down to only XR15 Gen4 Radion Pro's with a diffuser (nothing else), meaning G4s are going quick! That's it until they're gone.

That said, if you were to copy our 750XXL with (10x) XR15s you would wind up saving about $850 by going G4. (Ryan just mentioned that he doesn't have plans to upgrade our 750 lighting for the sake of going G5, because what we have is working). Personally, as much as I like the (10x)-XR15s on our tank I just can't get over how large of a cord structure we have and how much room all of the drivers and cords take up.

Meaning that if I were in the market for a complete lighting system for the same tank, knowing what I like personally, I'm picking up (4x) XR30 Gen5... with the understanding that I fully expect (4x) lights to get me and my tank full of frags to 2-3yrs of growth down the road and barring any mishaps or setbacks; if I ever noticed that my acro colonies were dying back where they were getting shadowed or shadowing themselves, I'd add in a (5th) XR30 to compensate.

@randyBRS thanks for the response! One last question... when comparing the XR30W G4 Pro with the diffuser, to the G5 Blue without the diffuser, both on AB+ settings, which fixture produces a better, more visually appealing light, in your opinion?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS thanks for the response! One last question... when comparing the XR30W G4 Pro with the diffuser, to the G5 Blue without the diffuser, both on AB+ settings, which fixture produces a better, more visually appealing light, in your opinion?

Honestly, the difference is probably too subtle for me to say I prefer one over the other...but like Ryan and I mentioned in our livestream, if it came down to a decision of whether or not we would upgrade (having already owned the Gen4 with diffuser) we would keep our G4 setup. I will say that the non diffused Gen5 is much better at eliminating color separation over a non diffused G4.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the release of the G5, you are having to earn you paycheck now @randyBRS, LOL!!! I would like to see a video done on a hybrid setup with the new G5 if possible. Maybe a hybrid setup vs. 3 G5's on a 4ft tank, or better yet on a 6ft tank with the amount of lights adjusted for the difference.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I would need advice; in a 120x55x55 full sps reef, which combination of radion g5 do you recommend? also which variant to choose? blue or pro? With diffusers or not?

2 g5 xr30
2 g5 xr30 + 4t5 54watt or 2 led bars
3 g5 xr30
3 g5 xr15 + 4t5 54watt or 2 led bars

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back