The new Red Sea REEFER Protein Skimmers are now in production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed this on my new reefer 170. The pump itself isnt loud but the sucking of air is quite audable. Ill update if it gets better but so far im annoyed with that sucking air noise.

On the other hand the varios 4 is completly silent. I hear the water going in the overflow over ghe pump itself very impressive

Can you post a picture of your sump?

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is kind of annoyong me im thinking i shouldve done a nyos

20190420_174556.jpg

Greg Witherell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see I am not alone with this product. I have a RSK600 first installed running through a Co2 scrubber, had a hard time dialing in finally added a valve to control air intake and got close to a proper adjustment with some decent skimate but then for no reason it went wild and overflowed everywhere. Thought I would try it hooked up to the original air silencer as this was their design. Looked good for a bit then completely went crazy again. Been running for 2 weeks and all I have to show for it is increased NO3 and PO4. Going back to my simplicity today.

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a stand under my RSK-300 and the skimmer is sitting in 6 inches of water (measured from the base up). Do you think that is too high?
Hi,
Depends on what is happening with your foam production. Once you raise it you will have to adjust it. What is it doing right now? Overflowing? Breaking way below cup? Nothing? Hope I can help, Rich

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Depends on what is happening with your foam production. Once you raise it you will have to adjust it. What is it doing right now? Overflowing? Breaking way below cup? Nothing? Hope I can help, Rich

Here is the picture. Bear in mind this tank is only a little over 3 months old and currently I have only 2 Gladiators in it.
IMG_0390.jpeg

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the picture. Bear in mind this tank is only a little over 3 months old and currently I have only 2 Gladiators in it.
IMG_0390.jpeg
Looks good right now for that bio load. Sure you will have to make adjustments as you increase your bio load.

11cmortarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one click away from ordering a 600 and thought to myself to check the forums. Now Im not sure. Stuck between simplicity 320, reef octopus 202, and the 600 rsk.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to brandish, but my personally designed and 3d printed new air chamber for RSK substantially reduces the air sucking noise (pic below). Works perfectly. Great skimmer with noise fixed, I do not miss my Nyos. If anyone is interested in this new air chamber, feel free to pm me.

91757C2D-3337-46E6-9675-0B2B6AD19AB0.jpeg

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching a BRS video on the RS skimmer the other day and they mentioned something about determining the correct water level for this skimmer to be sitting in which I believe many of us have overlooked. At the 26:38 mark they pointed out that there is a red label titled "water level" on the regulator pole which clearly shows you where the water level of the sump should be to have the skimmer perform properly. I cannot believe that it has been sitting there right in front of my eyes all of this time and that I didn't see it. :(

IMG_08201.jpg IMG_08411.jpg

Last edited:

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to brandish, but my personally designed and 3d printed new air chamber for RSK substantially reduces the air sucking noise (pic below). Works perfectly. Great skimmer with noise fixed, I do not miss my Nyos. If anyone is interested in this new air chamber, feel free to pm me.

Did you ever get the chance to test the noise level?

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am interested

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i like the price on this unit... but i had an old reef octo once that Such a PITA. it really never worked right. so hesitant nkw. torn between rsk 300 or nyos 160. love the neck cleaner

nature786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
After messing around with this skimmer for two weeks and disassembling it twice I solved my two issues with it;
Issue #1) Loud sucking noise from the air silencer, loud as in you could hear it two rooms away. So the fix: make sure that the pump is tightened all the way down and the screw that's on top of the pump and under the bubble place is tightened to the max, I used pliers. This will cause the pump to sit all the way down, you want it to sit all the way because it will then be flush with the red insert for the air intake that comes into the skimmer body. Looking at a side view, your pump intake has to be flush all the way around with the air intake hole that is on the skimmer body.(The pump intake and the venturi has to be completely flush).
Issue #2) Skimmate quality was not consistent. I had kept my skimmer at the same water level line as is marked by the manufacturer. However, it would stop sending bubbles all the way up the neck and producing skimmate as it's supposed to. Now I have it raised by about 2.5 inches so a total of 10 inches under water and now I'm getting consistent skimmate production.

The skimmer can be very quite and work well but it seems you have to have it properly assembled and at the correct water level in your sump.

This video was also helpful to me.
Watch "Protein Skimmers - A Beginners Guide | Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Build" on YouTube

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is kind of annoyong me im thinking i shouldve done a nyos

20190420_174556.jpg

Same thing happens to mine. Kept at a constant fixed water level. One minute it's perfect and the next my auto top off is dumping rodi in! Noisy as well. Should of gone nyos or deltec

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How loud is the skimmer pump? Mine is rattling. And red sea refuse to warranty it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back