The new Red Sea REEFER Protein Skimmers are now in production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not the pump, its the air chamber that causing that loud sucking noise. I have 3d orinted and mailed a few to reefers, seems to reduce the noise quite a bit.
Its not a sucking noise. I took the pump out on its own didnt even have the bubble trap attached i "hung" it in my sump making sure the pump wasn't touching any part of the sump and turned it on and the think vibrates and rattles like crazy. I took my skimmer to a red sea dealer and they are ordering me a new one.

Blammomike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its the design of their air chamber. I compared to Nyos, Red Sea is “missing” a few diversion lines inside to trap the sound. Can’t @$#%7ing believe a company of that size would put garbage out without doing proper testing. In addition, they permanently glued the air chamber cap, so you can’t open it to modify/fix their oversight.

Anyway, I managed to get this under control to a degree. The key isn’t that a rapid air intake causing whistling, dome trial and error, its the actual noise from the pump making its way to the air chamber and amplifying the noise. So, I attached two soft airlines to the outside of the air chamber, made a big difference. The longer the lines, the better the noise cancellation. This is a temp fix, I will prob figure something out, as two lines sticking out looks annoying. Putting those flex tubes on the inside would have fixed the problem. Here is a pic.

265CA6F3-8A35-4D4B-AEFE-3668133FB84F.jpeg
what size are these air lines?

ReefyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any further reviews of the Red Sea Skimmer? I am considering an RSK 300, my dt is 135gal but based on the specs it seems like I may need the 600. At the price point of the RSK600 makes me wonder if I should go with a used Bubble Magus Curve 7 that I can get for $175 or a Simplicity 240 at $269. Both which seem to be strong enough for my tank.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any further reviews of the Red Sea Skimmer? I am considering an RSK 300, my dt is 135gal but based on the specs it seems like I may need the 600. At the price point of the RSK600 makes me wonder if I should go with a used Bubble Magus Curve 7 that I can get for $175 or a Simplicity 240 at $269. Both which seem to be strong enough for my tank.

Red Sea has this chart to assist in you making a choice for one of their skimmers.

1593365865484.png

lilming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a RSK-300 for my Reefer170 and it's the loudest thing in my setup. This is my first tank and I'm not sure what is considered "loud" is as I don't have a reference. I have it sitting on a few silicone mats and not touching my sump. My air silencer is also not rattling as it is for some folks. It's also not making a big sucking in air but I believe most of the sound is coming from the silencer.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can make it a bit quieter, or am I just experiencing normal amount of noise and don't know better.

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a RSK-300 for my Reefer170 and it's the loudest thing in my setup. This is my first tank and I'm not sure what is considered "loud" is as I don't have a reference. I have it sitting on a few silicone mats and not touching my sump. My air silencer is also not rattling as it is for some folks. It's also not making a big sucking in air but I believe most of the sound is coming from the silencer.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can make it a bit quieter, or am I just experiencing normal amount of noise and don't know better.

Trade it for a nyos 120

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have the same skimmer awhile ago and sold it due to it also being the loudest piece of equipment under my tank. I now have a Reef Octopus DC skimmer and love it.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned in the post, I 3d designed and printed a new air chamber for Red Sea RSK skimmer, it significantly reduces that noise. I actually replaced my Nyos 120 with RSK300 and with the noise fixed, I would never go back to Nyos. RSK is an exceptional skimmer, way more stable compared to my Nyos, larger volume/chamber, hose to drain skimmate (I only remove the cup once a month for deeper clean), way larger skimmate cup, see through window, cap with a cleaner. there is no comparison! If anyone needs the replacement air chamber for RSK, just pm me. I have mailed dozens of these already, every single one reported significant noise reduction and now happy with their RSK.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned in the post, I 3d designed and printed a new air chamber for Red Sea RSK skimmer, it significantly reduces that noise. I actually replaced my Nyos 120 with RSK300 and with the noise fixed, I would never go back to Nyos. RSK is an exceptional skimmer, way more stable compared to my Nyos, larger volume/chamber, hose to drain skimmate (I only remove the cup once a month for deeper clean), way larger skimmate cup, see through window, cap with a cleaner. there is no comparison! If anyone needs the replacement air chamber for RSK, just pm me. I have mailed dozens of these already, every single one reported significant noise reduction and now happy with their RSK.

Does your 3D air chamber have any effect on the performance of the RSK-300?

lilming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the replacement air chamber! It does sound a bit quieter than stock. Still too noisy for my taste, but I'm going to live with it.

lilming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say for anyone with a "rattling pump" as others pointed out it is likely the screw in the bubble plate.

Night and day difference.
Do you mean its too loose? I'll give that a try tonight.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean its too loose? I'll give that a try tonight.
Yeah it needs to be tight. I showed up in this thread trying to figure out why this 3month old skimmer had gotten so noisy.

Took the cup off to find the plastic bolt had come loose and the bubble plate had come out of its groove.

Straightened out, tightened, good as new

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has this repeated for anyone? I have the pretty good idea what the rattle problem is caused by but mine is back.

From the dating in the thread it looks like it came loose in 3 weeks.

Anyone fix this for good. I need reef safe locktight.

Considering super gluing the the bubble diffuser to the pump.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has this repeated for anyone? I have the pretty good idea what the rattle problem is caused by but mine is back.

From the dating in the thread it looks like it came loose in 3 weeks.

Anyone fix this for good. I need reef safe locktight.

Considering super gluing the the bubble diffuser to the pump.
I would not recommend using glue as you may wish to take the skimmer apart to totally clean it at some point in time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back