The Newby Shallow Reef: An Unexpected Journey

NewbReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R!

This is my first build thread, my first 'big boy tank' and my second ever aquarium.

Some background

I've been in the hobby for a year now and started with a small 20 gallon AIO that made with an All Pond Solutions glass tank and some acrylic.
I'd never made anything before or worked with wood or acrylic and although it's now come to the end of it's life due to some mistakes I made at the beginning, I am proud of my starter tank.
Not only did it do the job, it was cheap - £90 for the tank, £20 for the acrylic and £50 for the wood to build the stand.

More importantly. it got me addicted to the hobby and something that I know I want to progress with and learn more about!

Although I've now had a tank for a year, I've definitely been in 'cruise' mode a bit as I had a very stressful and long hour job throughout so I didn't get as much time to sit down, enjoy and research the hobby as much as I wanted. That's all changed - I have a new job that I love, better hours and I'm at home three days a week more to enjoy my tank.

...Alas, my shoddy attempts and made things fit had cracked the acrylic, never having picked up a silicone gun before I made a mess and a number of times over the last few months the back wall had come off (thankfully whilst I was there every time) and is now being held with Sellotape, so I made a decision that I was going to buy a new tank.

I have always loved the look of shallow reefs and find myself watching any video online that has it in the title, so I knew after seeing the Waterbox FRAG 105.4 that it was the tank for me. Originally I was going to wait until my partner and I move in with each other, however given it was only a matter of time before the condition of my tank got worse I needed to made a decision. I was looking at deals on the trading section on a UK forum for something a good size, cheap and close enough to my house that I'd be happy with for a few years until I buy my dream tank.

Well, a quick message to Waterbox at 2am when I couldn't sleep sealed my fate. They only had one in stock in the entire UK, with no plans to stock it further as they advised they are planning on reducing their product range in the UK.

Well, here we are - it's arrived and my god is it impressive.

I set up the tank and my gosh was it impressive. It's HUGE.

I know it's probably small compared to a lot of reefers tanks on here, but my god is it a statement piece in the room.

A comparison between my two tanks:

PXL_20220428_202004153.MP.jpg

PXL_20220424_142640738.MP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

NewbReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions on a crescent moon structure?

I'm not the most creative in terms of aquascape but these two pieces fit so well to eachother when I noticed the

Maybe I will have it nearer the back on the least viewed viewing panel, so it will be off in the distance and every now and the you'll catch a glimpse of the moon!

I think it could look cool if it was overtaken by contrasting zoas, or some perhaps chalice?

PXL_20220504_190917343.MP.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back