The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Mar 11, 2019.

?
  1. Yes a little

115 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Yes a lot more

855 vote(s)
    83.8%
  3. No the well is dry

23 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. What is innovation?

27 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Click bait title but I'm really curious to see what NEW type of product would you like to see come into the aquarium hobby. Maybe it's completely new, out of the box or maybe it's just something we already have but better. Maybe someone will see your idea and build it or make it better!

So if you could think it up or dream it up what would the next big product, tool, etc. be?

next big.jpg
    fish image via ChristopherKriens

Tags:

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Pet clothes for fish so you can dress them up on holidays!!! :D

3. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Standards. Plain and simple standards for cross ecosystem integration be it light, controller, pumps, wave makers, et all.

I can't stress enough how frustrating it is that everyone wants their own apps for lighting or pump control. Integration requires middle hardware transformation and we all end up with cables and dongle overload. It is not safe at all from a water and electricity point of view.

pcon, Mjrenz, Brad Miller and 14 others like this.
  4. Xandernfs

Xandernfs Active Member

I feel that there is room left for automation. Even though things like the Apex has been out for years now, I do feel there is room for improvement and for costs to come down. It Neptune is still coming out with new things such as the Triton.

I also feel that LED lighting still has room for improvement. There have been slow improvements over the years for things like Radion (ie different generations). I still think that LED lighting has a lot of room to grow.

Brad Miller, Whisperss, CJS80 and 8 others like this.
  5. Dancingmad

Dancingmad Well-Known Member

We won't know till it happens :). Sometimes innovation comes in slow, incremental, targeted step - other times its an unexpected leap!

Still numerous species that need to be captive bred for a variety of purposes. I assume that counts as innovation! Lots of research needs to be done on trace elements too (at least as far as I know - I'm no scientist. I don't even play one on TV). I'm sure there are innovations to come regarding cheap/effective/precise measure apparatus....who know?!

Brad Miller, dricc, CJS80 and 7 others like this.
  6. h2oh2o

h2oh2o Active Member Build Thread Contributor

It would be cool if they could automate Cal, Alk, and Mag testing and dosing. It would have to be a cool name like "Trident". Just a thought, I know, I know, wishful thinking at its best. However, If I did have this means of innovation then I would probably market it and dangle the carrot for as long as possible........You know I kid. I own an Apex and cannot wait.....

7. Gonebad395

Gonebad395 Anemone hound R2R Supporter

A robot that did everything but enjoy the tank I got that covered

8. erk

erk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

The hobby has barely begun to scratch the surface of automation. Will be nice to see consumer level PLCs enter the market. Using simple PID loops coupled with a wide array of sensors to control everything from lights to dosing to flow. We already have seen PAR sensors for APEX that you leave in the tank to monitor light levels. Now use that sensor to control your lighting. Control every aspect of the lighting. Maybe have your lighting emulate the exact lighting of some place on earth by reading LUX/PAR levels at that location.

Let's take that a little further. Maybe you couple an alkalinity monitor with your light sensor and flow sensor. Now you can monitor alkalinity consumption and adjust lighting and flow based on how your corals are doing. Add a camera and use machine learning to learn the patterns of your reef and adjust based on trends. Maybe it can monitor growth and give you an idea on how much growth your tank has experienced. Give you a coral volume update by analyzing images to estimate total volume change. Maybe have a database based on many tanks that AI can draw upon to address changes in your own tank and give you recommendations.

There are also materials and manufacturing changes that can be incorporated. For instance, the recent advancement in welding technology allowing glass and metal to weld together. Welding glass to other materials would be a huge improvement.

There are so many opportunities for advancement in this hobby that honestly, the question isn't what do you want, but what don't you want.

Brad Miller, dricc, CJS80 and 8 others like this.
  9. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well-Known Member R2R Secret Santa

Good products for prices that aren't sky high. That's what I'd like to see.

10. GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones Member

increased sustainable, live rock

11. DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Full simple water automation, water changes, testing/dosing of Alk, Mag, Cal, Nitrate, Phosphate. I feel that the hobby is getting there, but there is tons of room for advancement. I think the next 10 years will be very exciting!

12. Rich Gross

Rich Gross Active Member

I think automation is going to be the next big thing, testing and auto dosing, light tuning per type of coral in your tank, etc...

Brad Miller, Peter Clark and KrisReef like this.
  13. erk

erk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I'm able to find plenty of good products for reasonable prices. I recently purchased a brand new BM Curve 7 for under $250 and it is an awesome skimmer. I don't think lighting will come down in price due to the cost of the materials and basic NRE to make them. Also the reliability/warranties that are baked into the cost. I think overall, prices have come down, but you will never be able to buy an Orphek or ATI fixture for the price of a black box LED off eBay.

Brad Miller, Hemmdog and KrisReef like this.
  14. Geebs19

Geebs19 Give me all the Euphyllia R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Cheaper and better automation. A system that knows everything about the tank and corrects itself.

15. Mortie31

Mortie31 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor

Automatic NO3 and PO4 testing... and honesty and integrity of all who sell/ manufacture products (but I know that’s just going to far)

16. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well-Known Member R2R Secret Santa

I'd have to disagree. At least half the aquarium products we buy are made in China and most certainly don't cost anywhere near as much as they're sold for to make. Lighting I get. In a way. But $800 for one? Na.
    But things like wave pumps should in no way cost $300-$500. It's greed and money. I'd pay big money for a fish but not a piece of plastic lol.

17. Reefer1978

Reefer1978 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Come on @revhtree ... you know there's a ton left!!! It's like asking is there innovation left on earth. :) :) :)

Brad Miller and KrisReef like this.
  18. Reefer1978

Reefer1978 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I am still waiting for my transparent aluminum from Star Trek IV.

19. JBKReef

JBKReef Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I dont need my chemistry testing to be automatic, I dont need it to be mail away or lab grade results... What I would like is to have easier to use testing.

If we could have all testing be as simple as the Hanna PH and/or Salinity checkers it would be worth its weight in gold to me.

Brad Miller, wesman42, CJS80 and 3 others like this.
  20. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Why would you pay big money for a fish when they have no cost to make, but not a piece of plastic?

Brad Miller, PirateDan, CJS80 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted