The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Is there much innovation left in the hobby?

• Yes a little

Votes: 115 11.3%
  • Yes a lot more

Votes: 856 83.8%
  • No the well is dry

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • What is innovation?

Votes: 27 2.6%

• Total voters

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to watch somebody build an octopus tank. When I first got into the hobby I had wanted a seahorse and/or an octopus tank I have now learned that I cannot have either. But I would like to watch somebody else do it!

The local shop got an octopus in today. The tank is just a tank. you just need a secure lid really. If I didn’t mind having the expense of basically a single-species tank to house something that will live for 6-12 months, then I’d do it.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this hobby is to survive long term, there needs to be much more innovation in areas of aquaculture and captive breeding. As far as tech innovation, there’s always room for making things cheaper, faster, more efficient and easier, but I don’t see any mind blowing revelations in reefkeeping tech. Water movement, light, filtration are all very capable as things stand now.

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how much a “basic” pump, and a plastic bong costs when you call it a “Protein Skimmer”

I agree. I mean I don't wanna bash any body or make any problems lol but stereotypicaly you see people that are a bit more wealthy with a lot of the fancier gadgets and all. And then a budget going folk like me with a very basic setup. I mean what if people on my level want the expensive stuff? I just think more non wealthy people would purchase all that fancy stuff if companies didn't jack prices so high.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see more controllers on the market. For two reasons, 1 would be to help drive down prices and 2, to keep each other on their toes. To force innovation and perfecting their own equipment to outperform the competition.

Also, I hope we are near a time when we finally get a true reef safe medication for ich. Sadly though, I dont that is a high priority.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Innovation is always welcomed. It is also intended to make reefkeeping easier to manage, but the prices also seem to be getting extreme and to the point that the pricepoint in innovation is approaching $1000.
Prices must come down for both affordability and assurance of sales for the manufacturer

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is already available - TBS ships under water and meets this requirement both in what he ships and leased ocean to sustain it. It also is about the most environmental friendly solution out there. KP aquatics also ships similar product but not under water although it is also leased oceanic land and sustaining.

Yep, Just bought 50 lbs from, KP myself. The trouble is that, only through hours of online research was I able to find out about these companies. I live on the west coast, and there are zero LFS's in Los Angeles that have anything except dry rock or "real reef". The typical hobbyist on the west coast will never know about aquacultured rock because they are more casual than people on R2R. Thats the population I was referring to. Also, the aquacultured rock is expensive, incuring large shipping costs, and therefore not readily accessible (both geographically and financially) to many casual reefers who do not venture beyond their LFS.

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things. First, I'm going to agree with some others and say that all of the electronics need true standards and a governing body that endorses and maintains them (also really liked the idea of a DC power strip that is configurable to handle various equipment). Second, how about a reef safe hydrophobic spray and/or glass that repels algae growth of all kinds so nobody ever has to clean the glass again. I read about coatings for things like getting out the last of the mustard, or coat the side of ships, so it seems with the right applied materials science it should be possible.

U

User1

View Badges
Yep, Just bought 50 lbs from, KP myself. The trouble is that, only through hours of online research was I able to find out about these companies. I live on the west coast, and there are zero LFS's in Los Angeles that have anything except dry rock or "real reef". The typical hobbyist on the west coast will never know about aquacultured rock because they are more casual than people on R2R. Thats the population I was referring to. Also, the aquacultured rock is expensive, incuring large shipping costs, and therefore not readily accessible (both geographically and financially) to many casual reefers who do not venture beyond their LFS.

I feel your pain. I'm also in California - up North just outside Sacramento. I wanted to use TBS but ended up with 150 lbs of dry Pukani. I just assumed (incorrectly) that you are not aware of those choices. But you are right there is a cost especially on our coast :)

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diggin' this thread - keep droppin' those ideas! Maybe someone with the means, drive, and divergent thinking will take them and run :).

Also, the aquacultured rock is expensive, incuring large shipping costs, and therefore not readily accessible (both geographically and financially) to many casual reefers who do not venture beyond their LFS.

True story. Logistics costs of all types are just going to increase at least in the short term whether it be air, ocean, or truck. Something scale of operation has little affect on :(.

I would like an automatic frozen food dispenser. I would pay serious $ for that.....

That is a good one. It would make NPS takes more popular.

Buddies, I was thinking the same thing. I'll expand that to refrigerated live foods AND a decent live culture auto feeder, whether that be brine shrimp, rots, or phyto. Only because I'm greedy and want it all.

Would seriously pay some bucks for an auto feeder that would both culture and dispense phyto to my reef. Something that would keep the culture from being tainted.

I'll settle for a shrimp hatchery + target feeding apparatus that doesn't require a bunch of cleaning (egg capsules!) and works reliably.

I doubt I'm alone in enjoying the feeding response from ALL my critters when I set them up with live, nutrient rich foods. Damsels / chromis zooming around om nomin' everything, mandarins hovering around the rocks like an attack helicopter pecking away furiously, and your predator fish stalking/laying in ambush for the STRIKE! POW! NOM! Total experience enhancer for everyone involved.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made me chuckle. Although the quotation is likely apocryphal, Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899 and is claimed to have said that "everything that can be invented has been invented." Was absurd then; is absurd now. Better lighting, a reef safe ich med, vortech MP80 .... just a few things I’d like to see.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price argument is tough because specialty items in niche markets always drive prices up. In regards to automation, Neptune knows you will buy a system from them one time in a 5-10 year span, and not many people (in relation to the whole population, not just reefers) buy them. So they have to factor in what it costs to maintain, support, and R&D their brand with your one time purchase. So from a business point of view, I understand their pricing. Same goes for powerheads, lights, etc.

I would love to see better and more reliable testing equipment. The Hanna checkers are great but having to choose between ultra low and low ranges make the purchases more difficult, etc. Any testing involving color matching kinda sucks, I am all about a digital read out.

I also would love to see a heater come out that is UL Listed, Rock Solid, and doesn't need to be 'expendable.'

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back