The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Is there much innovation left in the hobby?

• Yes a little

Votes: 115 11.3%
  • Yes a lot more

Votes: 856 83.8%
  • No the well is dry

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • What is innovation?

Votes: 27 2.6%

• Total voters

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wireless (as in powered) equipment. The number of wires and outlets to connect an apex, powerheads, pump, skimmer, heater, doser, etc (you get the point) make organizing the sump (if you want to) a major chore. Imagine the room you could save if just your powerheads and lights didn’t have wires attached to them...

savoyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, on an SPS pack off Ebay a few years ago. It was like 10 for $100 shipped, which seemed like a deal, but not a deal if everything is brown out nubs.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone already mentioned a modular DC power hub/supply is really a must. Its stupidly simple to make and I'm not sure why there aren't ones on the market already. There is absolutely no reason to have all these DC power supplies hanging out taking up space, ideally there would be dual channel options to prevent single source failures.

Better test kits could be pretty easy to make as well, many of them could be pre measured 2 chamber single use packets just scoop shake and read.

I don’t think it would be too crazy to sell salt in 50-100lb buckets pre mixed to any parameter you want from some online dispensary, similar to how they do paint. Maybe your LFS could even carry a kit and just dispense out the salt in bulk to order.

I would love to see some truly well thought out AIO Starter kits for under 1k. Everyone out there right now is a some sort of odd series of compromises with missing bits ****** pumps, leaking ATOs, odd back chamber dimensions/layout etc. If someone could make a kit with a good light, skimmer (option), stand, media basket and power hub and ATO I think it would be a real winner.

Id like to see a L1 version of the algae turf scrubber for smaller tanks.

I think there is probably opportunity for designing a plenum style 5 gallon water change system that pulls out the same amount of water that it puts in that’s really simple to operate.

Id like to seem more mass market non-rotary wave makers, maybe even ones integrated in the AIO tanks.

Netflix for water parameters? Send a packet in, get your results do it as often as you want-subscription service.

In line salt mixers - just plumb the tank in and it continuously water changes- excess overflows.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like an automatic frozen food dispenser. I would pay serious $ for that.....

Darren

That is a good one. It would make NPS takes more popular.

Look up the Reefsicle. I suspect you might be interested.

With some creative programming a Neptune DOS can pull from a refrigerated chamber, then reverse and return excess food to refrigeration. Think, "Dose 250 ml, then reverse for 200 ml," to feed 50 ml. I'm not sure how "chunky" the food can be, but it's probably got to be well-smoothied.

MP 80 was just mentioned, but a pump that style that you can point at an angle without protruding too far in to the tank would really help in a lot of situations.

My first thought: Create an articulating wet side that mounts to a ring shaped magnet on the glass, while having a motor with a ring-shaped magnet around it. The ring shaped magnet would provide the structural support to keep everything aligned properly while the motor simply drives a prop within an articulating housing.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of room for more innovation in equipment. Lights have improved so much in the last couple of decades - and I bet there's tons more to do in intensity, color, energy use, etc..

Speaking of energy use, I'd like to see overall improvements in energy consumption for equipment, and better solutions for managing reef aquariums when the power goes out. It'd be pretty nifty to have a better solution than a $1K generator out in my driveway for when an ice storm or a hurricane blows through.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real time at home ICP testing with accuracy suitable for adjustments in our tanks coupled with automated dosing of those items. Hey it's lofty but someday.

Also LED lighting like a laptop screen panel that covers the entire surface area of the tank and blends perfectly to whatever color you find pleasing.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"GHA Away" - Completely Reef Safe. Dose 10ml per 100 GAL and overnight all GHA will be gone, like chemiclean for Cyano. I'd pay a few grand for it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back