The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Is there much innovation left in the hobby?

• Yes a little

Votes: 115 11.3%
  • Yes a lot more

Votes: 856 83.8%
  • No the well is dry

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • What is innovation?

Votes: 27 2.6%

• Total voters

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that most of the products in the last decade were a results of inventing a problem to solve. As long as bacteria, living microorganisms, gravity and chemistry still exist, they do most of the heavy lifting and everything else is along for the ride.

The best thing in the last decade have been more captive bred fish and inverts.

Completely agree. I couldn't care less about the latest technological fad but am looking forward to the innovation of the aquaculture sector.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting rant:

I'd like to see better options with LED lighting.

Here's how I view the current offerings:
Over priced - low intensity
Over priced - high intensity

It's either black boxes or kessils. Current USA - or ATI. All very POOR choices IMHO.

I'd like to see a decent light that doesn't cost $500 and will actually penetrate down to 24 inches depth and grow corals on the sand bed without frying everything in the top of the tank.

I spent many many months researching LED's and ended up buying the Current USA brand, only to be told they're junk and won't grow anything except mushrooms. For the price I paid for that lighting system (currently the best system offered by that manufacturer) I expect it to penetrate at least 18 inches and grow acans down low in the tank, without cooking every zoa in the top 1/3 of the tank.

The high output LED's are too point focused and should NOT need to be hung a foot or more above the water. I should be able to put an LED fixture right on top of the tank or in my canopy and get nice, even lighting throughout the entire tank ..... for what they cost.

End senseless lighting rant

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many ways can we re invent the same wheel ?
My point is, we can dress the wheel up a million different times but it still rolls the same as the day that rock rolled down the hill, just differently :)

Innovation, I think not...just different ways of doing the same thing.

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! There are some great ideas posted in this thread! I would say there will always be innovation the hobby-- or at least companies will continue to create the illusion of innovation for the sake of generating profit :D Seriously though, after lugging around my heavy glass tank this past weekend, I would say that a tank with all the favorable properties of acrylic and the scratch resistance and longevity of glass would be awesome.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . . after lugging around my heavy glass tank this past weekend, I would say that a tank with all the favorable properties of acrylic and the scratch resistance and longevity of glass would be awesome.

Here is a riddle for you: would you believe that innovators actually came up with a tank that has all the heaviness of glass and the scratch resistance of acrylic? Even crazier; customers are willing to pay more for it than glass or acrylic.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standards. Plain and simple standards for cross ecosystem integration be it light, controller, pumps, wave makers, et all.

I can't stress enough how frustrating it is that everyone wants their own apps for lighting or pump control. Integration requires middle hardware transformation and we all end up with cables and dongle overload. It is not safe at all from a water and electricity point of view.
The bac net protocol was implemented in 1995 to standardize commercial building automation, you'd think that 24 years later we could have reef net

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bac net protocol was implemented in 1995 to standardize commercial building automation, you'd think that 24 years later we could have reef net

Reef net. Oh yes, I remember posting on the reef net back in the early 1990’s. Reef.net. Very small group of hacks had the means to access it. [emoji6]

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there are glass clad acrylic panels that are available for public aquarium size tanks. There is even SAR coated acrylic (Scratch and abrasion resistant) but the problem is bonding the panels together and making sheets at a cost that would attract the buying public. So we need a new coating that will be bonded to the assembled acrylic tank that prevents scratches and any surface crazing due to use of non acrylic approved cleaners.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be big enough to be a big thing or maybe it already exists but I would love to have a full spectrum dimmable, programmable led strip bar for supplementation. Something more than the same old actinic bar that could replace the typical double T5 retrofit with a reefbrite between them. Could be maybe 4" wide instead of the narrow 2" like what's out there now. Obviously would be more expensive but I would be willing to pay for something like a radion in a strip form factor. A reefbrite or similar is great but it's just blue, unless you add a daylight strip or any combo of strips. A controller like an apex is needed then to dim them. Just an idea and maybe it's not feasible but would love to have one strip, full spectrum multi channel with a controller like the kessil, to ramp up and down and tweak color.

Take a look at the Orphek Atlantik. It's not quite what you're looking for, but is somewhat similar.

Actually in 1995, they did: it was called a “screen saver” for CRT monitors of computers.

Check out the video circulating about modern teens being introduced to Windows '95. It's pretty cool.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They partly have it covered but API tests for NO3 and PO4 are not very good, and they seem to be the only ones available that don’t use a powder!!
I can’t find a UK stockist of Giesemann test kit, Hopefully by the time it’s on sale in the UK they will gave test kits available as well
you can also use RedSea phosphate

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wireless electricity. Obviously not just for reefing but it WILL be a game changer. Gets rid of that jungle of cords.

Question is do we have to worry about stray voltage in water :)

Wifi for electricity.... one day hopefully in our lifetime.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back