The next evolution in water changes?

BRS
BRS

neilp2006

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Evolution of a water change for me would be, a device that can effectively add salt to my water change station. I’m sure there’s already a device; but I probably can’t afford it haha
Like a feed hopper to drop salt into your barrel of RODI automatically?

I’ve seen devices used to dispense dry ingredients in a research vaccine production setting- but they don’t work with hygroscopic materials due to clumping. I agree though- that would be awesome

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Whisky matures. Water is water. Seems like a great way to put money in the pockets of bottled bacteria producers and nothing more.
Random thought. If we want “mature” water why not cycle the water container? Add some bio media and make the hook up that draws water from the container sit above the level of the rocks. Add circulation as you should have anyway to mix and avoid standing water, and go. Doubt it offers any real benefit but seems easy enough. Then when refills are needed just fill up and mix in salt and it mixes with the little water remaining in the cycled rock and there we go.
I would agree that the next evolution is further use of ICP testing and development of and sourcing of high quality elements that allow us to stop water changing all together.

OP
NanoReefLovers

NanoReefLovers

View Badges
Reaction score
P.S. @NanoReefLovers, just to clarify that this is not necessarily trying to squash your ideas from the get go, but offering our view points on the matter and from what we know, why it may not matter. If you have your own ideas on 'maturing' saltwater despite our points, feel free to communicate them through.

I have my own ideas and viewpoints, but really would always love others' viewpoints, so long as it has backing of some sort.
First off I apologize for not being active in this post. We are doing a lot of work on our house, new roof and windows from stores damage. We have decided to redo the old floors as well during this process. The bad is I have been super busy. The good is I am getting a tank upgrade, and will start the build in May if all goes according to plan.

I want to read through all the posts thoroughly before I put in my .02. Understand, my past was more about ideas on how to evolve the water change part of the hobby and not about what I think should be happening. In fact I am hoping some of you all’s ideas will help me shape and maybe change mine. Iron forming iron!

me joy the hobby!!

Lazys Coral House

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If you have to do water changes to export excessive nutrients, or think salt makers put trace elements in their bags at sea water correct ratios then reefers need to evolve, not gear.

BRS

How important is sand sifting or sand stirring livestock to your reef tank?

• Very important

Votes: 299 45.2%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 208 31.4%
  • Not important

Votes: 92 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 55 8.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.2%
QT FISH