OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if shooting a turkey baster of vinegar in its hole will get him to release his grip and give you an opportunity to get him. Your tank looks big enough for it not to cause harm. Might be wrong but a idea anyway.
I am willing to try anything but today he went across the tank in the sand bed to his hole. He is a smart dude.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms will regrow a head if split

Tell me about it! I was lucky enough to grab my small one only to have some one notice his tail was missing.
Eucinid worm.jpg

Peaking at night

70A99F60-1EE8-4FE6-843A-60075EC37AE8.jpeg

Now he is just playing with you!

Good luck, this could be an epic thread. Think of it as a great adventure.....just glad it's not my adventure!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a barbed fishing hook at the end of a rod or stick? Try to ensnare it with the tip of the hook, the barb should keep him from freeing himself, then yank him out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tell me about it! I was lucky enough to grab my small one only to have some one notice his tail was missing.
Eucinid worm.jpg

Now he is just playing with you!

Good luck, this could be an epic thread. Think of it as a great adventure.....just glad it's not my adventure!
So if his tail was missing , does that mean you still have one in your tank ?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I hope you get it. I'll be following too.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24”! What a monster! Best of luck. I have nightmares like this since I have had a couple of mysterious losses.
F4428B7C-ED8B-421B-9CCE-DC3E2CF19C40.gif

Just cause we care, the animal in the video is a bobbit worm, what you have is related but not a bobbit. Happy reefing!

Javier Leon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think I have a few on my sand bed , I see something sticking up the sand with a few tentacles on the weird alien head but all of the sudden they hide under the sand, never seen them swimming around or attacking any fish and. I fish has gone missing. Good Luck bud and share the good or the bad of this experience so we can all learn from it

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do these things come from? My last three big builds more than ten years ago, I set up with real real old school live rock air freighted in and never had such pest. Now the rock is fairly different and I see more and more of these stories.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think I have a few on my sand bed , I see something sticking up the sand with a few tentacles on the weird alien head but all of the sudden they hide under the sand, never seen them swimming around or attacking any fish and. I fish has gone missing. Good Luck bud and share the good or the bad of this experience so we can all learn from it

What you're seeing is most likely spaghetti worms. Totally harmless, their population will rise and fall with available food in the water

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don't want to see this, but I was researching Bobbit worms after reading this thread. All I can say is "YIKES!!!"

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to break the worm up, maybe with pliers, and then buy a Harliquin Tuskfish. They hunt out worms and reef safe. At least mine does. Mine loves bristle worms so maybe they would like your worm too. Good luck.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say either Epoxy as mentioned or you could try sticking a powerful pump down in your sump with the output going into a sock, on the intake attach a hose, start pump + syphon and shove the hose into the hole. If you have enough pressure and you latch onto it it should slurp him into your spacelock. Bag will catch the gooey bits.

Disclaimer: I am an electrician.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back