The Nitrogen Cycle Explained - Important info you need to understand!!

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understanding the nitrogen cycles is essential for every new aquarist! Be sure you fully understand this when setting up a new tank regardless of if it's fresh or salt water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one change I'd suggest is to not describe nitrite as toxic. In marine systems, it isn't appreciably toxic at any levels normal attained, even in cycling. :)

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one change I'd suggest is to not describe nitrite as toxic. In marine systems, it isn't appreciably toxic at any levels normal attained, even in cycling. :)

Thanks Randy! Looking back I agree that toxic was probably a little strong wording but hopefully it help prevent new fish keeps from jumping to quick and adding fish before the cycle is complete.

Thanks for the input!

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! Looking back I agree that toxic was probably a little strong wording but hopefully it help prevent new fish keeps from jumping to quick and adding fish before the cycle is complete.

Thanks for the input!
Is the cycle ever complete? That is one thing that aways gets me. I don't understand why in the hobby we all know that in order for life to thrive we need the nitrogen cycle. Why do we say the cycle is complete. Shouldn't it be more like "My cycle is stable." Even stable is a wrong word. What could it be? Maybe active. We want the cycle to continue and never be complete. It's a circle. It's probably the OCD in me that hates when people say complete.
Great video though good explanation. My little girl used the Nitrogen cycle as her Science presentation for her end of year project. She helped me learn lots of stuff for the tank. I should have her make a video for my channel. How just even came up with at great title for it.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true! Haha it should read once the the hobby grade test kits no longer detect NH3/N03 :)

I feel you as I'm a stickler on wording at times(however I seem to lose that when I'm the one in front of a camera..otherwise I would likely ramble on for hours!). I really did try and simplify this one as I have had a lot of question from new aquarists lately.

If she does do a video be sure to post it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back