bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these
211442-reefrax-sandbed-rock-purple-fr.jpg

it looks pretty fake buried in the sand but I'm hoping the frags of zoas fill it in and make a nice little garden. Tried to take a picture of it but only ended up with one good one.
20191108_201946.jpg

Ok maybe not good, but good for me :cool:

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is finally getting to a place where I'm proud of it but I'm freaked out. I came home from work and noticed the light wasn't on. My initial thought was a blown fuse. As I get closer I see everything else is running. Trace the xr15 cord back to make sure it didnt disconnect. Nope looks fine but the light won't do anything. Now I'm freaking out more. All of my nems are settled and happy. I'm worried what will happen while I come up with a new solution... I'm also really annoyed. For the price of the light I thought I would get more than a couple of months use out of it..

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is finally getting to a place where I'm proud of it but I'm freaked out. I came home from work and noticed the light wasn't on. My initial thought was a blown fuse. As I get closer I see everything else is running. Trace the xr15 cord back to make sure it didnt disconnect. Nope looks fine but the light won't do anything. Now I'm freaking out more. All of my nems are settled and happy. I'm worried what will happen while I come up with a new solution... I'm also really annoyed. For the price of the light I thought I would get more than a couple of months use out of it..
Is the unit getting power?

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue light on the power supply box is on but nothing on the actual light

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I robbed the light from my other tank that I'm not so proud of and will call ecotech support tomorrow. As if the light dying wasn't bad enough, when I removed it from the tank mount it unscrewed two of the inserts that hold the top plate on... when it rains it pours I guess. Hopefully it is something easy to fix or at least under warranty.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my big dopey snails pushed through the zoa garden and broke one off. I caught it floating around the tank. I made an example out of him by gluing it to his shell..
20191115_185402.jpg

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an article about the coral spawn on the Great Barrier Reef. I have been glued to my tank tonight hoping my rfa decide to make some babies.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a good reefing day today. My sons tank he won from reefapalooza is up and running. He was due for his first water change. He was excited to get to clean it himself. As he was tooth brushing the film algae on the glass he told me "this is so satisfying." After a little clean up we went to mix the water. He said water changes are the best and worst part of having a tank. He said it is soooooo boring waiting on the rodi water to run but he loves measuring and stiring the salt. He was also super pumped that his xenia has grown..... when I told him it would soon cover all of his rock he told me he couldn't wait.. this tank will be full of lessons for his future in reefing. I let him do the aquascape with some left over reefsaver and a couple chunks of pukani from my tank. Imo he put way to much but he loves it so I'll let it ride for now. Here is a pic of what he ended up doing.
20191021_184937.jpg
20191021_185643.jpg
20191124_193854.jpg

I told @Crabs McJones I would start him a build thread but I am trying to let him enjoy his childhood without an addiction to electronics..and I dont know about you, but I spend way to much time on reef2reef.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I hadn't paid much attention to nems yet, but they seem pretty cool and way more lively than I expected. I've been thinking about clams as well, they're pretty wild looking, and seem to help add biodiversity and maybe a little filtering as well.

Do you get much skimmate from your skimmer?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I hadn't paid much attention to nems yet, but they seem pretty cool and way more lively than I expected. I've been thinking about clams as well, they're pretty wild looking, and seem to help add biodiversity and maybe a little filtering as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I have really enjoyed this tank even with its ups and downs. I never thought I would get a clam and was super hesitant but it has quickly become a favorite. At least once a day my wife is waving her hand over it. :D

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow my thread you know I am an ER nurse. There are not many things that get an ER nurse worked up. Don't get me wrong when an ambulance call comes in saying 3 year old male CPR in progress you anxiety level and stress spike, but after that initial minute of dread you get set up and get to work. We have to, it is our job. There are however three words that send dread and fear into the heart of an ER nurse. Anyone who works in a hospital and happens to read this will understand. Those three simple words.. The Joint Commission da da dummmm. The TJC is an accrediting body for hospitals that wish to receive Medicare and Medicaid funds. In addition to accrediting the hospital, there are also disease specific certifications. Last week we were lucky enough to have two such site surveys. Lucky us right. These were my first surveys in management. They were no big deal when I was on the floor, I would be soooo busy when they came around that I never managed to be selected for questioning. ... Wait wait wait this is a reef build thread and what does the TJC have to do with that. Well I am addicted to this forum and it is pretty much the only thing I use my phones internet for. (Once a month I do pay a couple bills on it. I am slowly getting with the times and that only started when I ran out of checks. Good news though, my new box has arrived so I can go back to being older than my age) So Friday afternoon during our tracers with for our Advanced COPD program my phone buzzes. I sneak it out and open it to make sure everything in the department is ok. Well of course R2R is open and I see I have a bunch of notifications. I hadn't posted much and was curious so I had to peak and seen that I was featured as the reeftank 365 for the day. I looked up with the goofiest smile on my face and the majority of the board room was looking at me like I was crazy but I didn't care. Thank you @Crabs McJones for the RNG love it made my week.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you get much skimmate from your skimmer?
Sorry I missed the question, no I don't get much out of it. I am not convinced it is providing any benefit but I have it and it isn't really hurting anything either so I leave it.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a tank related post tonight, but my 8 yo decided he wants to be an engineer when he grows up. The hospital just upgraded their davinci robots and had an open house. He took right to it, I guess all that minecraft time paid off.
20191211_174154.jpg

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He took right to it, I guess all that minecraft time paid off.

Honestly, as an Old Person 3D printing is somewhat wasted on me, as 3d modeling/CAD is not something that comes easily to me.

But for all these kids playing/building stuff in minecraft it's second nature. I think it's honestly a big step forward in human evolution that doesn't get talked about much.

These kids think in 3 dimensions like we never did.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back