OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! You could get a pistol to help clean your sand too.

I only have one store in my area and it is a pit. Next closest is 2 hours away and they never seem to have inverts. Maybe I will let the nems get established and make an order online for one with some sexy shrimp :D

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice cube! Our first tank was a Coralife 29. I never thought about pulling the hood when it sorted out. Donated it to the DAV. Still kicking myself over that one.

Thanks.., though I think it is pretty shabby looking right now. I am going to start round two of cleaning tomorrow. Maybe after this it may be nice or at least a nice start.

Dennisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to r2r. I have a 32 biocube and I love it. It was extreme plug and play. Came with the LED lights. I added a protein skimmer and a UV light. if and when I figure out how to put pics on here I will. There are so many up-grades for the 32 and 29 gal tanks. I upgraded from a 28 jbj nano cube {I lost it due to a fire in my condo}. I found this to be the best for the money I wanted to spend and the room I have. I set this one up aroun 4/18. Anyone with advise and or hacks that would be great. Thanks and have a great weekend.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone (Francis for short) was born to a wealthy family of cloth merchants in Assisi. Francis was a very charismatic fellow. One might even refer to him as a 12th century Kardashian. If you wanted to party, Francis was your man. It wasn't long until the wealthy son of a merchant became a leader of a rowdy party crowd. The 12th century wasn't all parties for Francis though. He was after all the son of a wealthy cloth merchant and when war was declared he became a knight. While he was the go to guy for a party, Francis was a lousy knight. Early on in his knightly career Francis was captured. In the 12th century captured soldiers were slaughtered, but thankfully being the son of a wealthy merchant he was spared for ransom. Perhaps this inequality was the spark that set Francis on a different path. During this transformation Francis was riding down the street with his bestie when he began to hear the eerie chime of a bell. As he saw a lone figure coming up the street ringing the bell and realization struck that the man was a leper. Leprosy was a scary thing in the 12th century. As the lepers rang their bell the streets would clear in fear, but Francis did not see a man to be feared. He saw a man. Much to the fear and disbelief of both the leper and his bestie Francis went to the man and kissed him. Francis spoke to this person as if he were any other. Long story short Francis gave up the party life, renounced his wealth and founded the Franciscan Order. He was canonized and the influences of St Francis are still felt today.

nuns.jpg

These are nuns of the Hospital Sisters of St Francis. They arrived in the United States in the late 19th century to serve the needs of the under served and growing immigrant population from Germany. They came with nothing, most without the ability to speak English. They were very good at what they did. They were so good in fact that the wealthy residents in the area were envious of the care they provided to the poor. So much so that they helped the sisters establish a hospital. Fast forward to the late 1950's and the sisters needed a larger hospital. They fund raised and bought a beautiful piece of lake front property
st marys.jpg
and construction began on the hospital I currently work in.
st marys 2.jpg

The thought that went into the construction... Nearly every in patient room faces the lake. I worked 6pm to 6am through nursing school on the 6th floor. When the sun would rise in the morning it was beautiful and refreshing... though that was short lived because I would be up the rest of the day in class. Wait this is a build thread right? So lets get on with it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I decided it was time to finish off the excavation of the unexciting biocube 29's sand. I would sink a cup and carefully push the fine sand in hoping to disturb the tank as little as possible. I must say being a nurse in the ER I have a very refined sense of smell. In fact there isn't much that bothers me in that regard. I can clean up an incontinent grandmother, move into the next room to pull the sock of a homeless friend revealing his gangrenous maggot infested toes and 5 minutes later sit down to lunch. Once again concerned with the well being of my clean up crew I would sift the sand through my fingers to ensure I didn't sentence a critter to death. The smell of the sand opened up a whole new chapter in my catalog of fragrant memories. In fact I was surprised at how nasty the bucket was when I completed my project.
filth.jpg
Remember that beautiful lake that the Sisters so thoughtfully built their hospital to face. The problem with that lake is that is was made by building a dam on the river. No big deal tons of lakes are made with dams. The problem comes from all the farm land that surrounds the river. There is a reason my father was transferred here. It has some of the blackest, most fertile soil in the world. Well this soil and all the run off chemicals applied to it in the name of progress end up at the bottom of that beautiful lake. I have only actually entered its waters once during a polar plunge to raise money for Special Olympics. It has the same color as my bucket. Years and years of farmland settling have made the lake very shallow. They are currently in the process of dredging the lake. They send the murky remains to holding area outside of town. I like to imagine this place as a post apocalyptic landscape that breeds a new aquarium specialty of mutated fish like blinky...
blinky.jpg
but in reality it is just large high banked retaining pond surrounded by barbed wire fence that has an faint similarity in smell to my bucket. While I firmly believe the contents of this bucket could hold the keys to future evolution I was ready for it to be out of my house. I really wasn't sure what to do with it. We were scheduled to get 7-10 inches of snow last night which got me thinking. Salt melts snow. The townships road department spreads sand on the road when it snows...so it ended up at the end of my driveway.
snow.jpg
Now that the sand was out it was time to get the new in. I busted open the bag and carefully refilled the sand bed. I had some left over pukani from my biocube 32 and experimented with some scaping. Ultimately I couldn't find anything to my liking and left the original piece in. While it looks pretty plain and boring now in my mind it is covered in a giant flowing anemone. I have read that disturbing sand beds can cause a mini cycle. I didn't want this to happen and have read a lot of reviews so I gave it a dose of
dr time.jpg
to help it through. As the tank settled I was left pretty satisfied with my work.
dirty tank.jpg
I thought it already looked a million times better. As the light cycle was slowly winding down I had a moment of panic. I couldn't find my watchman goby. I had been oh so careful of all my creatures while moving the rocks around but it was still pretty cloudy when I was messing. I watched and watched but couldn't find him. I thought perhaps he made a mad dash under the rock when I placed it and I smashed him. Ultimately after watching for some time I had to intervene. I lifted the rock back up and sifted my hands through the sand repeatedly hoping to not feel the remains of my grumpy friend. Thankfully I didn't, however I still couldn't find him. It is now midnight and I know I need to get up earlier than normal so I head to bed. It was a long night. I have always had difficulty sleeping. I just can't shut my brain off most nights and last night I was a nervous worried wreck. I was still up at 2:30 before finally passing out. When I woke I rushed out and searched. Nothing. I fed the tank to try and lure him out. Nothing. So I went to work afraid I turned him into a feast for the crabs and snails. Thankfully I returned tonight a little later than normal and hurried to feed the tank before lights out and was delighted to see him poke his head out. He has taken up a new residence right in the front of the tank. He used to prefer a spot between the rock and the back wall. I was relieved and excited...so I fed them a little more to reward them for the trauma of redecoration... which leads me to the next step in my plan. Getting rid of the green hair algae...

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone (Francis for short) was born to a wealthy family of cloth merchants in Assisi. Francis was a very charismatic fellow. One might even refer to him as a 12th century Kardashian. If you wanted to party, Francis was your man. It wasn't long until the wealthy son of a merchant became a leader of a rowdy party crowd. The 12th century wasn't all parties for Francis though. He was after all the son of a wealthy cloth merchant and when war was declared he became a knight. While he was the go to guy for a party, Francis was a lousy knight. Early on in his knightly career Francis was captured. In the 12th century captured soldiers were slaughtered, but thankfully being the son of a wealthy merchant he was spared for ransom. Perhaps this inequality was the spark that set Francis on a different path. During this transformation Francis was riding down the street with his bestie when he began to hear the eerie chime of a bell. As he saw a lone figure coming up the street ringing the bell and realization struck that the man was a leper. Leprosy was a scary thing in the 12th century. As the lepers rang their bell the streets would clear in fear, but Francis did not see a man to be feared. He saw a man. Much to the fear and disbelief of both the leper and his bestie Francis went to the man and kissed him. Francis spoke to this person as if he were any other. Long story short Francis gave up the party life, renounced his wealth and founded the Franciscan Order. He was canonized and the influences of St Francis are still felt today.

nuns.jpg

These are nuns of the Hospital Sisters of St Francis. They arrived in the United States in the late 19th century to serve the needs of the under served and growing immigrant population from Germany. They came with nothing, most without the ability to speak English. They were very good at what they did. They were so good in fact that the wealthy residents in the area were envious of the care they provided to the poor. So much so that they helped the sisters establish a hospital. Fast forward to the late 1950's and the sisters needed a larger hospital. They fund raised and bought a beautiful piece of lake front property
st marys.jpg
and construction began on the hospital I currently work in.
st marys 2.jpg

The thought that went into the construction... Nearly every in patient room faces the lake. I worked 6pm to 6am through nursing school on the 6th floor. When the sun would rise in the morning it was beautiful and refreshing... though that was short lived because I would be up the rest of the day in class. Wait this is a build thread right? So lets get on with it...

The best tank threads are more than just tanks. They are life threads.

Back