OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pincushion urchins and hermit crabs not compatible? I noticed some spines in a maxi mini that the urchin was next to. I thought maybe the anemone thought it was a snack and broke them off until I noticed the hermit crab. This picture is really bad but I watched the crab break a spine. This particular crab is clumsy because his shell is to big. It's not uncommon to see it flipped upside down. I did notice he was tipped while "fighting" the urchin. I dont know if he was attacking or just trying to flip upright, but I'm wondering if I should rehome the crab. What would you do?
20190728_225020.jpg

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yesterday was a tough day. My stepson's National Guard unit was activated Operation Freedom's Sentinel for 12 months in Afghanistan. He had to report last Saturday and yesterday was his farewell reception. The younger boys are taking it pretty hard. We had a 2 hour drive home last night and the youngest sobbed uncontrollably for the first hour. We had to tell him that him being upset and crying would make it harder for Kyle while he is gone. All Kyle has talked about since he was little was being a soldier, but I don't think he realized how hard it was going to be leaving his family and new baby. A couple pictures because I am proud of the man he has become.
kyle1.jpg
kyle2.jpg

On another sad note.. When we returned home last night the body of the never to be named urchin was found. As clean as its body was picked I am starting to wonder if the crab was trying to have a snack. It was hard to get a picture of because of its location and my less than adequate skill.
deadurchin.jpg

Does anyone get upset at themselves if they have an animal die in the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not good on the urchin.
Tank has progressed nicely. Every tank is One's creation, not another's expectation.
WEishes for safety and success of stepson as he fulfills his dreams. Maty he meet many new friends, have many new experiences and mainly. . . RETURN HOME SAFELY to share the many memories he will inherit.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deployment is never easy for anyone, especially the kids and you have good reason to be proud! I sincerely appreciate his service. Sorry about the urchin, did you notice the pin cushion dropping spines? I have read on numerous posts that they will do this if there is a problem with the water parameters. Our first one just died and didn't drop any spines at all. On a positive note the shell does make a nice decoration in the tank.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to your Stepson for his service. Sorry about the urchin.
Thanks @NY_Caveman

Deployment is never easy for anyone, especially the kids and you have good reason to be proud! I sincerely appreciate his service. Sorry about the urchin, did you notice the pin cushion dropping spines? I have read on numerous posts that they will do this if there is a problem with the water parameters. Our first one just died and didn't drop any spines at all. On a positive note the shell does make a nice decoration in the tank.

The night before it was missing a few where the crab was messing with it. Maybe the crab was knew it was dying and trying to get a free meal? Idk.. I will for sure check parameters. Are they sensitive to any certain parameter I should have been monitoring closer?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @NY_Caveman

The night before it was missing a few where the crab was messing with it. Maybe the crab was knew it was dying and trying to get a free meal? Idk.. I will for sure check parameters. Are they sensitive to any certain parameter I should have been monitoring closer?
I recently lost several inverts due to a salinity change.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is in basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. He will graduate on the 22nd then immediately start AIT there as well.

I hate the separation. Granted it's only 400 miles and a few months not thousands and a year. But, I do understand. Luckily my son is only 18. His girlfriend is handling it better than I am I think. ;)

If you need to talk, please PM me and I will give you my number.

I am thankful for your stepson's service!

Hooah!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, the tank is awesome. I think the crabs were merely opportunistic. @dantimdad and @Brew12 another military Dad here. Maybe you guys can get him through the tough stuff...
Thanks for the call out! And I agree that the crab was likely being opportunistic. I've had 40 to 50 hermits with my urchins and they have never caused a problem.
Are they sensitive to any certain parameter I should have been monitoring closer?
I'm going to agree with the salinity swing although a rapid change in nitrates can cause problems ime.

Going to send a PM....

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is in basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. He will graduate on the 22nd then immediately start AIT there as well.

I hate the separation. Granted it's only 400 miles and a few months not thousands and a year. But, I do understand. Luckily my son is only 18. His girlfriend is handling it better than I am I think. ;)

If you need to talk, please PM me and I will give you my number.

I am thankful for your stepson's service!

Hooah!

Are you going to be able to make it to graduation? It was a really cool experience for our family. I keep telling my wife that deployment will be easier than basic on her because he will be able to face time. It made her feel a little better, but she is pretty bummed.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back