• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be able to make it to graduation? It was a really cool experience for our family. I keep telling my wife that deployment will be easier than basic on her because he will be able to face time. It made her feel a little better, but she is pretty bummed.

Yep, I reserved the rooms a week after he left and I found out the grad date. LOL! I was confident he would pass. :)

We are going to miss family day but be there for graduation and the day after.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of not reserving a room soon enough for family day.. we pulled up to the place we found and decided to lose our money and sleep in the truck that night. We made reservations for graduation that day at the hotel next to the infantry museum.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We wanted to go to family day but, my son's girlfriend and my younger son are both seniors and are going with us. The school understood missing two days but kind of got upset at three so no family day. We will drive up Wednesday after school and come home Friday.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need some advice. Last night my ato pump slipped down and sucked up the kalk precipitate and delivered it into the display. Everything seems to be ok but did a water change and while cleaning up I made a discovery. Under the pretty much worthless biocube skimmer I caught a flash of yellow. It is hard to see down in there because it's up against the corner of the wall. I get the step stool out and sure enough there looking back at me was Walter. He must have tried to commit suicide and failed... now I have a problem. I already replaced him with Walter jr the third... I dont have a lfs in the area and order everything off the internet. How do you tell the sex of a ywg. If they are both Male will they fight it out. If one is a female would it be possible for them to bond. Not really sure how to handle this.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need some advice. Last night my ato pump slipped down and sucked up the kalk precipitate and delivered it into the display. Everything seems to be ok but did a water change and while cleaning up I made a discovery. Under the pretty much worthless biocube skimmer I caught a flash of yellow. It is hard to see down in there because it's up against the corner of the wall. I get the step stool out and sure enough there looking back at me was Walter. He must have tried to commit suicide and failed... now I have a problem. I already replaced him with Walter jr the third... I dont have a lfs in the area and order everything off the internet. How do you tell the sex of a ywg. If they are both Male will they fight it out. If one is a female would it be possible for them to bond. Not really sure how to handle this.
Gobies are able to change their sex from female to male and back again. This is normally easier with younger fish or when one fish is much larger than the other. At a minimum, if you put them together they will use aggression to try and gain dominance. The submissive one will then change to a female (if it isn't already). The issue is that if the fish are too closely matched then one of them might not survive in order to change.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are able to change their sex from female to male and back again. This is normally easier with younger fish or when one fish is much larger than the other. At a minimum, if you put them together they will use aggression to try and gain dominance. The submissive one will then change to a female (if it isn't already). The issue is that if the fish are too closely matched then one of them might not survive in order to change.
Thanks for the reply @Brew12. There is a pretty big difference in size, maybe I will work out a back up home before trying to pair though. It doesnt seem to bother it being in the "sump". I didnt know ywg changed sex. Learn something new every day :)

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor snail picked up a rfa hitchhiker who picked up a sexy shrimp hitchhiker or two... it's the little things like this that keep me hooked on this hobby.
20190813_172143.jpg
20190813_172028.jpg
20190813_171953.jpg
20190813_172336.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor snail picked up a rfa hitchhiker who picked up a sexy shrimp hitchhiker or two... it's the little things like this that keep me hooked on this hobby.
20190813_172143.jpg
20190813_172028.jpg
20190813_171953.jpg
20190813_172336.jpg
Now that is an awesome pic!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190813_172143.jpg
20190813_172028.jpg
20190813_171953.jpg
20190813_172336.jpg
That is awesome! Keep that in your back pocket for an appropriate future Photo of the Month contest!

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pretty luck with fish. I know Walter disappeared but I read a post the other day where a fish was not seen for so long that they forgot they had it and it went missing. Until proven otherwise Walter lives! What's this have to do with my current situation. Well not much but it is a little related. Mini went missing. I didnt see her (I have no idea how to identify a firefish sex but the coloration reminds me of mimi from Drew Carey so it's a she). Anyway I didnt see her for at least two weeks. I was beginning to think her and Walter ran off together until I caught a glimpse of her peeking out of a hole. She would occasionally peek out or dart after some food. This continued for another week or two. I figured Cheryl was being Cheryl and had her stressed. When I got home tonight I was surprised to see her out and about. As the night went on her actions became stranger and stranger. I found her sitting on the ground in Cheryl's corner perched like a ywg. I thought it was odd for two reasons. First I've never seen her hanging out like that and second Cheryl didnt seem to mind and wasn't trying to run her out. Because of this strange behavior I watched the tank for a bit and noticed her list to the side and then shake herself upright again. It reminded me of someone falling asleep and startling themselves awake. 45 seconds maybe a minute later she does it again. Now I am scared something is wrong. I have had good luck with fish so I dont have a lot of experience with fish disease. From reading posts I see everyone asking if the fish is breathing fast. She is not, in fact it almost looks as if she is having little periods of apnea. Other than her behavior she looks pretty normal. Everything else in the tank is happy as ever. No changes as far as water parameters so I am at a loss. Any ideas?
20190830_210341.jpg
20190830_210434.jpg
20190830_210359.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A firefish generally should always stay up in the water column. Laying on the bottom is a sign of stress.

Did you QT any of your additions? Have you recently added anything to the tank at all? Coral, fish, inverts, rock, or sand?

It's hard to say what it might be with the only symptom being lethargy. All of your other fish sound like they are fine from your recent post.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 weeks ago I added a and black widow bta. About a month ago I added a urchin, but it died 2 days after I put it in. Other than that everything is the same.
So your first fish disappeared two weeks ago and now this is the second fish to have trouble? I was struggling to follow your post a bit I apologize.

It is possible something unwanted joined your tank with one of those additions.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the first fish was a ywg and he has been gone for a long time. He vanished without a trace. He liked to hang out between two maxi mini and I have wondered if he became a snack. Now that I think about it the firefish started hiding around the time the urchin was introduced. I didnt see her at all for 2 weeks and then would catch her peeking occasionally out of her hole or darting out to eat. Idk if something could have come in on the urchin, but the timing would line up with the hiding. Is there anything that can take a month to manifest?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back