OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is still hanging out on the bottom and tipping over. I'm not sure if I should take action. What would you do?

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didnt know what to do so I did what I always do when something doesn't seem right in the tank. I did a 20% water change and continued to monitor her. No real change. She is still hanging out on the bottom and having trouble staying upright. While I was watching she drifted into a mini-maxi. I panicked as much as she did. She managed to get herself free but shot face first into another one. It looks like whelts on her side where she was stuck, I'm guessing it stung her. I dont want that to happen again and I dont want Cheryl to pick on her so I stuck her in the 1st chamber in the back. If anyone thinks of something I should do for her let me know. Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she died tonight. I feel guilty. Does anyone else feel this way when the animals in their care die? I dont know what caused the death but I am fearful for her remaining tankmates.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she died tonight. I feel guilty. Does anyone else feel this way when the animals in their care die? I dont know what caused the death but I am fearful for her remaining tankmates.
Sorry to hear. An anemone sting could lead to lethargy and the demise. At least if that were the case, the other fish will not catch anything.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a post a couple of weeks ago and @Katrina71 recommended the vca random flow generator for a fellow biocuber. I was curious and it seemed pretty cool so I ordered one up for the biocube rescue. Everything anemone wise in the tank has seemed happy so I was nervous to change anything up. After having it in for a few days I have to say I think it was the right choice. I like the way it changes up the direction the btas tentacles move. However tonight I noticed the black widow looking a little strange. I almost wonder if it is trying to split. Another bad picture but what do you think?
20190908_215324.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love a black widow. That might be a blessing in disguise if it splits.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to it's old self this morning. It looked so weird when I went to bed. In person it looked like it was pulling itself apart. Oh well at least now I dont have to worry if it was a water quality issue.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well @NY_Caveman going to go with the doing weird stuff. I think it looks pretty darn good tonight. So weird.. I swore yesterday it looked creased and like it was stretched taunt in the middle.
20190909_212225.jpg

While the nem looks great... my package from Reefcleaners.org.... not so much.
20190909_180125.jpg

In no way am I blaming this on John. He is great and his clean up crews are awesome. I will continue to use him and recommend him. He even had a new shipment on the way before this one arrived. This was a smelly USPS fail. I knew the shipment was going to be delayed because of the hurricane. John made sure that was ok before sending. When the package didnt arrive I check the tracking and it said it was delivered that morning..... to Providence, Rhode Island. The problem is I live in Illinois..... The tracking information had my address. The box when it showed up had my address. How it ended up there I have no idea. My wife text while I was at work to tell me she got home and found a box that said handle with care and avoid sunlight sitting on the porch. She said "it looks like they carefully drop kicked it to the door." I cant say I blame them. The smell... yeah it's pretty bad and today was garbage day..

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug through it looking for survivors.. I knew before I started there weren't going to be any but I had to make sure..

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is sweet. The smell of death, not so much. I once tried GARF grunge which is essentially ocean sludge. It came very delayed and lets just say old, dead sludge is the worst smell of death I ever enjoyed.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On summer nights when I was young we would go visit my great uncle. He spent most of his summer at a campground on the lake. It was the type of campground that the same people came to every year and left their camper in their spot the whole summer. I remember this one night when I was 8 maybe 9 in particular. My uncle had all of his campground buddies over and they started drinking beer way before our arrival. They were wound up that night and decided my 2 brothers and I were old enough to go snipe hunting. We were sent off to gather flashlights and shopping bags from my aunt. Upon our return they had us pick out good snipe hunting sticks because how were you going to herd them into the bags without the proper stick. We started out into the woods while they imparted their wisdom on the proper techniques for hunting. When they determined we were in a suitable location they had my brothers get into position with their bags with instructions to scoop up the snipe when it ran in. Being the eldest brother I was chosen to help them herd the snipes to my brothers. We banged our sticks and ran the snipes to my brothers and wouldn't you know it my youngest brother had one run right into his bag. Unfortunately he wasn't fast enough to keep it in and it got away. We were so mad at my brother. I couldn't understand why my uncle and all his friends thought it was so funny that he let it get away. I suspected there was more to this and asked my dad on the way home if snipes were even real. He told me to look it up when I get home. This was the days before the intrawebs, so when I got home we pulled out the S encyclopedia (for you young-ins that may be reading this encyclopedias are books that acted as the google of the time). Anyways we flip through to snipe and sure enough there it was. It even had a picture.
snipe.jpg

It was many years before I learned that the snipe in question that night was just my uncles friend lying in the bushes at that perfect snipe hunting location. When my uncle and I were running the snipe that way he stuck a stick in my brothers bag and wiggled it around...
What's this have to do with the not so exciting biocube 29? Well this time it actually does relate. Last night I was reminded of this story and felt a little foolish as I sat holding my phone up to the glass while youtube videos of clownfish hosting nems played. I have read posts of people taping pictures and playing videos for theirs and they start hosting so I thought I would give it a try. Cheryl didn't care. In fact I was convinced that any time she looked in the direction of the phone it was actually to laugh like my uncle and his friends.
I guess all I can do is hope that someday she learns how to clownfish...

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed some mysis to my nems today. My normally shy pom pom crab marched right out and stole from this rock flower.
20190915_162309.jpg

I wish it didnt hide so much, it is one of my favorites to watch.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little fight in the tank tonight. When I fed the tank my pistol shrimp burrowed out from under a rfa. Then anemone obviously irritated him and he grabbed ahold and tried to pull it in the hole. This irritated the sexy shrimp above the anemone who grabbed on and pulled back. They both tugged a bit until the pistol shrimp went back in its hole and snapped his displeasure. Love the random little things that happen in a tank.

Back