The Number One reason an acrylic aquarium crazes. And it does not come in a spray bottle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to acrylic as I have just ordered an all in one tank from Tenecor. How do you clean the outside acrylic? How to do you remove algae from the inside acrylic?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it a slight algae haze on the inside I use a pad made for acrylic and gently wipe. For more stubborn algae or coralline I use a credit card or plastic scraper and take my time.
for the outside I just use water and a soft rag.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only way to prevent crazing according to all the acrylic sheet manufacturers is to heat aneal the whole tank after all the polishing and sanding steps are done. The cost of the oven and heat cycle has prevented any of my customers from ever using that option when we provided it.

Most plastics engineers I have consulted do claim that windex, petroleum distillates, and denatured or rubbing alcohol will accelerate crazing in acrylic. In my experience using too thin material, not supporting the entire bottom of the aquarium, or using anything other than cell cast acrylic can lead to crazing as well. If the front panel bows like a football I have seen them craze. I have seen this right in the center panel with thin material tanks in the area with the bulge.

Anytime you sand you create heat and induce stress, same with flame polishing especially if you overheat the acrylic. So no matter if you sand or flame polish, cut with dull tools you induce stress. That is why every manufacturer recommended heat anealing in their fabrication best practices.

Last edited:

jace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's obvious both acrylic and glass has their pros & cons and peoples preference. I've had experiences with both and IMO it boils down to the application you're using it for. Salt i think glass is way better if tanks are 240g or under. Maintenance is just way easier, take a razor to the glass and gently scrape and clean without scratches. Acrylic for larger tanks because of its weight and great for freshwater tanks. Acrylic is such a hassle trying to keep scratches off. The slightest move of a live rock or hard coral that brushes up against the acrylic will scratch the acrylic.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with many of the points above and see the advantages of acrylic. I have a glass tank myself because I had little kids and I can be a klutz when my hands are around the tank (ask my wife how I put a scratch on the wood stand moving a Christmas decoration)
The one con against glass I haven’t understood is the weight. The fact that glass is heavier only mattered once for me (delivery). I guess other people move their tanks around the house frequently or have weak foundations so weight is important to them, it just wasn’t con for me.

easeltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have two very old acrylic tanks, a 20 gallon high, and a 20 gallon long. The best thing I have found to take the algae off and not scratch the acrylic is polyester fiberfill. It works amazingly well!

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think I should be concerned with this? This is my 400g and drained it in order to do a new setup on it.

I don't think I would've noticed without the draining.

Thanks for any input.

1000011721.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back