The Nuvo 40 Fusion Pro Nano Build

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i've been wanting to get a nuvo but i decided that the 40 was perfect for me. i will not be getting it very soon in like 2 months but i want discuss what i shout and should not put on it so if you have a suggestion please say.
my stocking list:
clownfish pair
sand sifter starfish
some gobies mabey a mandarin if i can get pods
hammers anenomys ok now to the dry stuff
for the lighting
two Noopsyche K7pro2
the small eotec powerhead mp10 i think
then the nuvo skimm for the skimmer
the media reactor tell me if i need it or not and how it works
the refugium light
40 lbs of rock
40 lbs of sand.
tell me if there is any other gear that would be good.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see any problems. Is there anything in particular that you aren't certain on?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with a nuvo 60 I think the setup is ok but I made some bad fish choices avoid dwarf angels and sand sifting gobies they will kill corals.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan at all of the Nuvo Skim midsize. The DC is a little better, but they're still not great.

We have two Nuvo40s in the house - the lower flow/higher nutrient tank with LPS and mushrooms has a NuvoSkim DC. The higher flow barebottom SPS tank has a tunze 9004. and the NuvoSkim AC that came with it is hanging out in a bucket in the bathroom with the brine shrimp net and the original IM pump and all the other junk I rarely use.

Also - the Nuvo40's actual display volume (minus the sump,etc) is about 28 gallons. I think you'll find that 40 lbs of rock and 40 lbs of sand is way more than you need.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with a nuvo 60 I think the setup is ok but I made some bad fish choices avoid dwarf angels and sand sifting gobies they will kill corals.

Not necessarily true. The diamond gobies and such don't kill corals, only your placement and where the goby decides to move the sand to (typically they move them away from the burrow). As for the dwarf angels, it depends on the species.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ug ive been looking around still im not 100% set on this tank im 98% ive been looking but what if i get the 50 gallon aquarium instead i could still use the 40lbs of rock and 40 sand but give me your thoughts the aquarium would expensive but it would work out in the end

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily true. The diamond gobies and such don't kill corals, only your placement and where the goby decides to move the sand to (typically they move them away from the burrow). As for the dwarf angels, it depends on the species.
No mine puts sand even on rocks an inch or two from the top. Mine is big however. My dwarf angel picks on everything.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen the nuvo brand makes ok lagoon tanks but if you have to save money to try a nuvo just don't bother. Seriously you could do better with a normal tank and just throw a large filter on it then keeping fish only or fish only with a few soft corals. It will have a similar result.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i've been wanting to get a nuvo but i decided that the 40 was perfect for me. i will not be getting it very soon in like 2 months but i want discuss what i shout and should not put on it so if you have a suggestion please say.
my stocking list:
clownfish pair
sand sifter starfish
for the lighting
two Noopsyche K7pro2
the refugium light
40 lbs of rock
40 lbs of sand.
I purchased the same tank 40 Fusion Pro 2 and after doing the math. The display area is about 28+/- Gallons. The tank itself is about 38+/- Gallons in total. 40 pounds of sand and 40 pounds of rock would be too much IMO. As far as skimmer, I was looking into the (Tunze 9004 DC). I also have the (Tunze 5017 ATO) with fresh RODI water which helps maintain water level due to evaporation.
my stocking list:
clownfish pair
sand sifter starfish
for the lighting
two Noopsyche K7pro2
the refugium light
40 lbs of rock
40 lbs of sand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back