The Office Nano Tank! | Deskmate 4.8

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Office Tank! | Deskmate 4.8 Nano Build

Background:

I love my RedSea 250 tank in my living room. However, much of my time is spent in my home office during the week. What better way to bring the ocean into my office, a nano tank!

This build will use the @Eshopps Deskmate 4.8. I've had my eye on this tank for a while. BRS had an amazing bundle the other day that included this tank and everything else required to get it started. I got everything below for $199!

Build List:

1x Eshopps DeskMate 4.8g Pico Aquarium

• 1x Adjustable Nozzle
  • 1x Circa 100 Return Pump
  • 1x Curve Lite LED
  • 1x Nano Filter Sock
1x CaribSea LifeRock Nano Reef Kit

• 2 LifeRock Nano Arches
  • 1 Small Original LifeRock dry rock piece
1x 10lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Reef Sand

1x 1lb Seaside Aquatics Ceramic Bio-Spheres (~20 spheres + mesh bag)

1x 100mL Instant Ocean Bio-Spira Nitrifying Bacteria

1x 25W Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater

1x 25kg Bag Aquaforest Sea Salt

IMG_0219.jpeg

Day One: The Build

Placement. Of course this is going to go right on my desk! I have to admit, having 4 - 5 gallon of water sitting next to my electronics feels a bit scary!

placement.jpeg

Aquascape.

The rock was pretty easy to work with, considering the limited space. The arch should allow for good flow!

scape.jpeg

Fill time! Rocks, sand, and water in! The filter sock, heater, and return pump were plug and play!

sandwater.jpeg

Let there be light!

Yes. I know I have some cable management work to do! But at this point I'm essentially done for now! I'm waiting for the water to get up to 78F/25C before I pour in some Bio-Spira to kick off the cycle. I have a lid from Kraken Reef on the way, should be here by Friday. So if all goes well I will be placing the first and only fish to go into this tank, a Clownfish!

Some soft and LPS corals will be added down the line. A light or nano skimmer could be a potential add in the future as well!

full light.jpeg
light.jpeg

Thanks for reading! My next planned update will be once the lid has arrived from Kraken! Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited:

Azzeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the same bundle, only I had a 10$ off coupon so I got it for 189! Best of luck on your tank!

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the same bundle, only I had a 10$ off coupon so I got it for 189! Best of luck on your tank!
Awesome! I was considering getting it at full price, I immediately jumped on it with the $100 off sale. Have fun!

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you tested the standing desk, because thats next for me. Ive been using the glass nano skimmer for 2 weeks and its been working great. Also take caution if you upgrade the pump (which i have), the overflow only handles about 120GPH. I went through 4 pumps before i was happy. All of them were way too loud to be on my desk. The Mighty return is dead silent and controllable......BUT you have to cut a few threads off the intake in-order for it to fit.
IMG_7038.jpg

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you tested the standing desk, because thats next for me. Ive been using the glass nano skimmer for 2 weeks and its been working great. Also take caution if you upgrade the pump (which i have), the overflow only handles about 120GPH. I went through 4 pumps before i was happy. All of them were way too loud to be on my desk. The Mighty return is dead silent and controllable......BUT you have to cut a few threads off the intake in-order for it to fit.
IMG_7038.jpg
That is one clean setup!

My standing desk is pretty solid, seems to work fine and everything is level. I ended up putting in a Sicce Nano, dead silent! Just wish it had a bit more flow. Still, I'm happy I made the upgrade. The included return pump was driving me insane.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time!

Lid from Kraken is here. Perfect as expected. I'm ready for fish. A lucky clown will be calling this tank home by the end of the weekend.

lid.jpeg

I also added a piece of premium live ocean rock from TBSaltwater. So much life on this piece of rock, hoping it give's the tank some much needed biodiversity.

IMG_0235.jpg

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7038.jpg
What are you using for an ATO?

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the prism ATO from BRS. I use a 1.5G sealed container from target for the reservoir. Not about pay more for a reservoir than the tank. I drilled two holes and its works great. Last about a week or so with evaporation.

IMG_7041.jpg
Nice. What sensor are you using with that? Just a float or something optical?

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. What sensor are you using with that? Just a float or something optical?
Optical:

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optical:
Exactly what I was looking for, going to pick this up. Thanks!

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the build! I like the rock work, this is mine running for about a month and a few weeks. Just two clowns and a tiny six line wrasse. With a shrimp, emerald crab, and a few snails . I’m running filter sock, bio balls, eshopps nano skimmer, and hydra 16 hd with the standard pump.
8A5AAE24-5A26-491B-804B-25A6FCB78023.jpeg
D5C874F6-B9FF-46E5-B950-31BEF8CF6FD3.jpeg
A4A2EF59-2BC0-4BA5-9CBD-0F60A39D1D65.jpeg
50467D44-D46F-49A1-8D4C-7E640D878211.jpeg

Back