The Office Nano Tank! | Deskmate 4.8

Azzeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the build! I like the rock work, this is mine running for about a month and a few weeks. Just two clowns and a tiny six line wrasse. With a shrimp, emerald crab, and a few snails . I’m running filter sock, bio balls, eshopps nano skimmer, and hydra 16 hd with the standard pump.
8A5AAE24-5A26-491B-804B-25A6FCB78023.jpeg
D5C874F6-B9FF-46E5-B950-31BEF8CF6FD3.jpeg
A4A2EF59-2BC0-4BA5-9CBD-0F60A39D1D65.jpeg
50467D44-D46F-49A1-8D4C-7E640D878211.jpeg
That's funny, I also have a black storm pair for my deskmate 4.8. Tank looks great!

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the kraken lid? Did you get any of the accessories with it? I added it up and for the lid and all the extras it was the same cost as the tank!

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the kraken lid? Did you get any of the accessories with it? I added it up and for the lid and all the extras it was the same cost as the tank!
I only added the feeding ring. It’s pricey, but I can’t stand losing fish to jumping.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BetterJake @Eye H8 Empty V

Just an FYI, I was getting salt creep from the extra flow rate elevated water level in the display. Easily solved with using 4 silicon anti-slip dots. I put one in each corner. No salt creep and lid still looks great
You are amazing! This has been driving me insane the past few days. Ordering now

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BetterJake @Eye H8 Empty V

Just an FYI, I was getting salt creep from the extra flow rate elevated water level in the display. Easily solved with using 4 silicon anti-slip dots. I put one in each corner. No salt creep and lid still looks great
No way that's awesome! I gotta do this on my deskmate!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any issue with salt creep. I’ll keep these in mind just in case, thanks.:cool:

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut 2 dots in half and used each half in each corner.
So the kraken lid sits on top? I thought it sat recessed into the tank. That's why I haven't bought it because I just couldn't see how it could work with my water level in my deskmate

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you tested the standing desk, because thats next for me. Ive been using the glass nano skimmer for 2 weeks and its been working great. Also take caution if you upgrade the pump (which i have), the overflow only handles about 120GPH. I went through 4 pumps before i was happy. All of them were way too loud to be on my desk. The Mighty return is dead silent and controllable......BUT you have to cut a few threads off the intake in-order for it to fit.
IMG_7038.jpg
Are you referring to the innovative marine mighty jet? Just got one of these and really want to upgrade the pump myself.

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just ordered that same bundle. Pretty excited, but anticipating being overwhelmed. I plan on using this for only reefing, but looking forward to growing corals. Any pro tips with this case? I've followed this thread and ordered the same ATO recommended by one user. Hopefully your system is still doing well OP. Did you guys replace the pump? Was it quiet or is that hit or miss?

Thanks guys!

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Office Tank! | Deskmate 4.8 Nano Build

Background:

I love my RedSea 250 tank in my living room. However, much of my time is spent in my home office during the week. What better way to bring the ocean into my office, a nano tank!

This build will use the @Eshopps Deskmate 4.8. I've had my eye on this tank for a while. BRS had an amazing bundle the other day that included this tank and everything else required to get it started. I got everything below for $199!

Build List:

1x Eshopps DeskMate 4.8g Pico Aquarium

• 1x Adjustable Nozzle
  • 1x Circa 100 Return Pump
  • 1x Curve Lite LED
  • 1x Nano Filter Sock
1x CaribSea LifeRock Nano Reef Kit

• 2 LifeRock Nano Arches
  • 1 Small Original LifeRock dry rock piece
1x 10lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Reef Sand

1x 1lb Seaside Aquatics Ceramic Bio-Spheres (~20 spheres + mesh bag)

1x 100mL Instant Ocean Bio-Spira Nitrifying Bacteria

1x 25W Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater

1x 25kg Bag Aquaforest Sea Salt

IMG_0219.jpeg

Day One: The Build

Placement. Of course this is going to go right on my desk! I have to admit, having 4 - 5 gallon of water sitting next to my electronics feels a bit scary!

placement.jpeg

Aquascape.

The rock was pretty easy to work with, considering the limited space. The arch should allow for good flow!

scape.jpeg

Fill time! Rocks, sand, and water in! The filter sock, heater, and return pump were plug and play!

sandwater.jpeg

Let there be light!

Yes. I know I have some cable management work to do! But at this point I'm essentially done for now! I'm waiting for the water to get up to 78F/25C before I pour in some Bio-Spira to kick off the cycle. I have a lid from Kraken Reef on the way, should be here by Friday. So if all goes well I will be placing the first and only fish to go into this tank, a Clownfish!

Some soft and LPS corals will be added down the line. A light or nano skimmer could be a potential add in the future as well!

full light.jpeg
light.jpeg

Thanks for reading! My next planned update will be once the lid has arrived from Kraken! Feel free to ask any questions!
So I just got this tank yesterday and was so happy to go home and set it up! But I am struggling to get the water flow moving along. I filled the tank in the main area, the back two chambers and the pump and nozzle just don’t seem like they’re working efficiently to push the water along from chamber to chamber. What did you do to fill this tank up properly? And how did you do it. I really I hope I can get it working :(

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Office Tank! | Deskmate 4.8 Nano Build

Background:

I love my RedSea 250 tank in my living room. However, much of my time is spent in my home office during the week. What better way to bring the ocean into my office, a nano tank!

This build will use the @Eshopps Deskmate 4.8. I've had my eye on this tank for a while. BRS had an amazing bundle the other day that included this tank and everything else required to get it started. I got everything below for $199!

Build List:

1x Eshopps DeskMate 4.8g Pico Aquarium

• 1x Adjustable Nozzle
  • 1x Circa 100 Return Pump
  • 1x Curve Lite LED
  • 1x Nano Filter Sock
1x CaribSea LifeRock Nano Reef Kit

• 2 LifeRock Nano Arches
  • 1 Small Original LifeRock dry rock piece
1x 10lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Reef Sand

1x 1lb Seaside Aquatics Ceramic Bio-Spheres (~20 spheres + mesh bag)

1x 100mL Instant Ocean Bio-Spira Nitrifying Bacteria

1x 25W Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater

1x 25kg Bag Aquaforest Sea Salt

IMG_0219.jpeg

Day One: The Build

Placement. Of course this is going to go right on my desk! I have to admit, having 4 - 5 gallon of water sitting next to my electronics feels a bit scary!

placement.jpeg

Aquascape.

The rock was pretty easy to work with, considering the limited space. The arch should allow for good flow!

scape.jpeg

Fill time! Rocks, sand, and water in! The filter sock, heater, and return pump were plug and play!

sandwater.jpeg

Let there be light!

Yes. I know I have some cable management work to do! But at this point I'm essentially done for now! I'm waiting for the water to get up to 78F/25C before I pour in some Bio-Spira to kick off the cycle. I have a lid from Kraken Reef on the way, should be here by Friday. So if all goes well I will be placing the first and only fish to go into this tank, a Clownfish!

Some soft and LPS corals will be added down the line. A light or nano skimmer could be a potential add in the future as well!

full light.jpeg
light.jpeg

Thanks for reading! My next planned update will be once the lid has arrived from Kraken! Feel free to ask any questions!
Loving the pictures here guys!!!:star-struck:
So I just got the deskmate 4.8 tank yesterday and was so happy to go home and set it up! But I am struggling to get the water flow moving along. I filled the tank in the main area, the back two chambers and the pump and nozzle just don’t seem like they’re working efficiently to push the water along from chamber to chamber. What do I do to fill this tank up properly? And how do i do it. I really I hope I can get it working :(

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got the deskmate 4.8 tank yesterday and was so happy to go home and set it up! But I am struggling to get the water flow moving along. I filled the tank in the main area, the back two chambers and the pump and nozzle just don’t seem like they’re working efficiently to push the water along from chamber to chamber. What do I do to fill this tank up properly? And how do i do it. I really I hope I can get it working :(
There’s a slide adjustment on the return pump. Pretty sure it comes all the way down.

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the prism ATO from BRS. I use a 1.5G sealed container from target for the reservoir. Not about pay more for a reservoir than the tank. I drilled two holes and its works great. Last about a week or so with evaporation.

IMG_7041.jpg
You are a genius! I think I’m going to do this for my deskmate 4.8 gallon and even set one up on my 37 gallon tank as well. I just filled my deskmate yesterday and already water is low UGH

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a genius! I think I’m going to do this for my deskmate 4.8 gallon and even set one up on my 37 gallon tank as well. I just filled my deskmate yesterday and already water is low UGH
I got this because it fit perfectly and out of site underneath my cabinet where the tank sits: https:// amazon.com/dp/B09XKDYVYJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Had to chop up the link because this site's parser messed it up.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back