The OFFICIAL how I beat Hair Algae thread! How did you do it?

Hair Algae in your aquarium. Choose all that apply!

• I've never had hair algae

Votes: 61 7.6%
  • I Have had a little but nothing major

Votes: 185 23.2%
  • I Have had several tough outbreaks

Votes: 99 12.4%
  • I Have had a major outbreak that I won

Votes: 217 27.2%
  • Have had a major outbreak that caused me to tear the tank down

Votes: 36 4.5%
  • I am battling a little hair algae now

Votes: 223 27.9%
  • I am battling a major outbreak right now

Votes: 101 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.3%

• Total voters

jeffm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run bigger systems. I love acros and tangs. Normally a really good combo. I keep nutrients low and have algae eaters. Lately I’ve been upping my nutrients a little to get better color. Happy with results but now I have some GHA for the first time in years. Really ever.

IMO the thought of tearing apart all my tanks to scrub rocks out of the water sounds crazy and actually counter productive to a healthy reef. In most cases I don’t think it is even possible in a large system - without damage. Why would you want to disturb colonies that you have worked so hard for?

Better maintenance, better CUC and manually scrubbing - and patience! :) It’s always a balance in this hobby.

Obviously I don’t have the silver bullet. But after reading some of the comments I might try something like Flux Rx or Fluconizole etc. even though in general I try to avoid that route.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might help others:

Feeding:
1- Reduce Feeding quantity per each feed session;
2- Spread you feeding across many sessions, while feeding the same total day quantity (I feed 10 times a day using a doser);

Out-compete your DT algae:
1- Get a Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS). Spend the money on quality build and powerful lights;
2- If you are using a Refugium, use the correct lights - i.e. Power full lights with the correct spectrum

We spend thousands on DT lights and diddle squat on Fug/ATS lights and wonder why the Algae prefer out DT :rolleyes:

DT:
1- Get the correct type and number of herbivores early and keep them hungry i.e. don't feed them vegetable food until they eat what is in the tank. Believe me they will!

Happy reefing.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hair algae is the devil and we don't want the devil in our tank right?

There are many reasons as to why you might get an outbreak of hair algae in your tank and along with that many ways that you can also eliminate it which usually pertains to how you got hair algae in the first place. So today let's NOT talk about why you have had a hair algae outbreak but how you finally got rid of it once and for all.

What was the silver bullet, the defining decision you made (or combo of things) that finally got rid of your hair algae outbreak?

Before and After by @bwomac44
Untitled-6 copy.jpg

There are many reasons as to why you might get an outbreak of hair algae in your tank and along with that many ways that you can also eliminate it which usually pertains to how you got hair algae in the first place. So today let's NOT talk about why you have had a hair algae outbreak but how you finally got rid of it once and for all.

What was the silver bullet, the defining decision you made (or combo of things) that finally got rid of your hair algae outbreak?

Untitled-6 copy.jpg
I bought a nice big new tank problem solved! Started new never been a problem since. First tank 55 gal learned what not to do then went big.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100%...just sucks when you see the urchin cruising around with a little zoa colony on it's back...lol easier to frag that way?!?
I think it's a bit funny no one reacted until now. Are urchins a too easy solution?! :rolleyes:
Yeah, they might rearrange stuff. But I can live with that :D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my tank maybe 20 or 25 years ago. I had so much hair algae that oak trees were growing.
That was because I use NSW and sometimes the water I used was from the Long Island Sound which is full of algae and algae spores.

Now I just have a little hair algae because I want a little. It naturally grows on every healthy reef in the sea and I want my tank natural so it doesn't bother me. If I had no algae, I would be concerned.

Now I built an algae scrubber which allows the algae to grow, but it grows where I want it to grow.
Algae is the best water conditioner there is so the more, the better.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had GHA. I made the common mistakes that eventually led to a massive dino problem that killed most of my corals and eventually my decision to tear the tank apart and start anew (but keeping my fish)

Ironically, GHA doesn't bother me that much and since I have a mandarin, I think patches of algae will attract pods.

My reboot contemplates @brandon429 rip clean sand bed rinse approach. I have larger grain sand that enables me to regularly clean the sand bed better, an aquascape so I can remove any rocks for H2O2 scrubbing if algae start getting out of control, and nurturing the development of the bacterial slime, coraline algae and microfuana that should help keep nuisance at bay.

Sean Donohue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled-6 copy.jpg
Sexy anemone shrimp. They are tiny but they eat hair algae right down to the base and remove it from your rock work. I have had hair algae growing in the middle of zoa colonies and they clean it perfectly

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had GHA in previous tanks in the past and I have another outbreak in my current tank. Before corona I had been away and the auto feeder appears to have overfed - came back to the outbreak starting to accelerate. My formula:

1. PATIENCE - expect this will take time and effort to resolve regardless of the method you choose.
2. Manual removal - I try to manually remove as much as possible in the display using tweezers, different size bottle brushes for rocks and a net to catch. I also turn up the flow through the sump and in the tank, and add a filter sock to catch everything that goes over the overflow. I know some have opined that this method would cause GHA to spread, and I am sure it does. However, if I can get out 90% through each manual cleaning then I am making progress. Go back to #1 - patience. I will also include vacuuming out the sand bed in this step to remove excess detritus.
3. CUC - I also had allowed the initial CUC to diminish, which also facilitated the outbreak. So, I have been adding appropriate CUC to help out: pincushion urchin, cerith snails, nerite snails, and a few hermits. I am also replenishing my nassarius population to keep the sand stirred, although I also have a sand sifting star.
4. Water changes/testing - I tested the water to make sure parameters were not off (they weren't). I typically perform a 20 gallon water change once a month. I did perform one additional water change on arriving home.

Things I typically do not do:
1. Add chemicals/bacteria - I prefer not to add stuff to the closed system unless absolutely required. I do not doubt that they can help.
2. Remove and scrub/hydrogen peroxide - I have had larger tanks (my current 150 is the smallest system I have had in 20 years), and I think this method, while effective, can be impractical on larger tanks and without the time, space and equipment to perform.
3. Lighting changes - I just don't do it - can't say I have a good reason.

I would say that regardless of your method that patience is the most important step.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little here and there that the fish can’t seem to reach. Doesn’t bother me any. A little cyano on the sand doesn’t bother me either. If it’s covering the entire tank....that’s why God invented urchins and rabbitfish

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this happen this week. I think this is algea. It doubled in one day. I tested my water and Nitrates are 5ppm and phosphate was 0.2 ppm. When I saw the phosphate at 0.2 checked with Hanna ULR I added Phosphate RX last evening.
Checked phosphate this morning and now down to 0.06. Now what? Tank has been fully cycled for 6 weeks. I’ve also dosed some Live Rock enhanced twice over the last 3 weeks. Its mainly on the upper rocks. Caribsea live rock.
9CBBA0D1-9CB0-479E-ACA9-368A7BF08B0E.jpeg

36E6A473-0B52-4D2E-B33C-AE2E3182D2FD.jpeg

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed my auto-feeder (pellets), resumed weekly water changes (@ 2%), vacuumed Deep Sand Bed (during water change) and Vibrant at the high dose (1mL/10 Gal 2x per week) for 7 weeks [which wiped out my macro algae in the refugium.

I've used Vibrant at the high dose in the past and new it could wipe out my chaeto. So, weeks before I got started, I set up two separate 5 gallon fish tanks with bubblers and split 2/3 of my chaeto from my refugium into those two tanks. I added Miracle grow and some of my Skimmate to them to grow the chaeto. Glad I did because once Vibrant regimen was over, I resorted to taking 1/2 of the chaeto from each of the 5 Gal tanks to restart my DT refugium.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a battle I had with turf hair algae for 6 months with Flux RX And Vibrant combo as directed. 3-4 weeks boosting levels like one a week. Had a bout with cyano after, hit it with chemi clean. It’s now been 4 months, not a speck of either.

CTFIREMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a moderate outbreak when my tank was about six months old from nutrients being too high. Once Nitrates and phosphates were managed within reason, it was still difficult to eradicate the green hair algae and bryopsis. Reef flux Rx eradicated both with no ill affects to Coral, invertebrates, or fish. Going on approximately eight months now with no reoccurrence

757165CD-A4D0-43AF-860C-1319910E0EAA.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we test the theory that all GHA invasions are psychological in nature vs biological.

he's got a glistening sheen of resolve in a world of passivity and acceptance of plant dominates man.

how far will he take this tank takeback? all the way? some of the way?

resolve = you have no GHA. Ill never ask for params nor consider them in reef tank turnabouts.

he seems resolved to win, Im placing all in on the fed up guy.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it in the past, and currently. I just ignore it and try not to meddle too much. Pretty sure that for me at least having nitrates around ten seemed to encourage it. I also recently added some new sand in and I’m battling diatoms (silicates).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back