The Official R2R Mantis Shrimp Thread!

Ryan2428

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ment there will be rocks no matter what lol . But seen some tanks with 1.5 inch PVC in for tunnels

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a 6 gallon at my office to get back in the mantis game. Hoping for a Havenasis.

Ryan, are you getting a peacock? If so, 1.5" is not big enough. I've always used U shaped 3" PVC Conduit for my Peacocks, I picked this up from Dr. Roy. Perfect mantis den. I do use smaller PVC for little mantis.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
work_mantis.jpg

Let the cycle begin, still need to finish the aquascape.

Ryan2428

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a 6 gallon at my office to get back in the mantis game. Hoping for a Havenasis.

Ryan, are you getting a peacock? If so, 1.5" is not big enough. I've always used U shaped 3" PVC Conduit for my Peacocks, I picked this up from Dr. Roy. Perfect mantis den. I do use smaller PVC for little mantis.[/QUOTE

Ty will look into 3 inch and yes on the peacock and ty

Ryan2428

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a lot of reading . Just curious on what every one is lighting with thinking blues only

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritter what do u think of pvc tubes in the tank . Or just rubble rock

I've always used rubble rock. I never tried the PVC tube but probably would give it a try for my next O. scyllarus if I get one. I've kept some small smashers and always used large live rocks buried in the sandbed, sort of "igloo" shape and let the mantis make their own. I like seeing how they arrange it. I never wanted to have to change the tube out as the mantis grows.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sealifeinc.net has them cheap last I looked. Your tank looks great so far!
I saw that, hope they're still there when I'm done cycling. Thanks, it's getting there. Just added few macros and a glut of snails from reef cleaners. Mantis is going to have snail fun!

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my favorite animal of all. I always wanted one but need to get a special tank made so I don't walk home to a mantis looking at me.. I actually got one tattooed on me before I own one. Some day I will get one tho.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my favorite animal of all. I always wanted one but need to get a special tank made so I don't walk home to a mantis looking at me.. I actually got one tattooed on me before I own one. Some day I will get one tho.
What's stopping you from setting up a small tank? The little guys don't need much and are still amazing!

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the breaking glass is an urban legend at this point. I've had 3 peacocks in Glass Tanks and never had an issue. One constantly banged the glass too.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the breaking glass is an urban legend at this point. I've had 3 peacocks in Glass Tanks and never had an issue. One constantly banged the glass too.

Agreed. I had some really thump the glass and it never broke. Thin glass too. My next peacock tank will be a regular 40 breeder.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice to no that. May just set up a regular tank for it thanks. How long have you guys owned them. Or how long do they live is my ?

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get a baby peacock mantis I live in Florida I checked all the lfs. And they said they would only be able to get Florida mantis the green ones. Anyone have a good source?

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally picked up a Mantis for my 6g. He is tiny! Maybe 1.5". Bought him from here Live Mantis Shrimp Marine Saltwater Beginner Tropical | eBay

He survived a 3 day shipment with two nights in the 30s and was delivery last Friday. Today he decided to start building a cave at the front of the tank. Hope he stays out front!

[video=youtube_share;hSBugKAll6w]http://youtu.be/hSBugKAll6w[/video]

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a descent pic of the peacock!!! We have 3 stomatopods, and the kids have named them after Star Wars jedis. This is Starkiller. We acquired him between 2-3" in March of last year. He looks about 5" now! His tank is 24x24, and plumbed in to the reef system. I figured with the fear of shell rot, connecting his tank to the reef would be the best way to keep water quality ship-shape and stable.
image.jpg

image.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back