The "Official Reef Octopus Skimmer Club"

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
Skimmer Official Fan Club
I have been using Reef Octopus products for many years and have also seen the design, craftsmanship and quality change with all products the make. I guess you would say I have an obsession for the affordable best. Lets get a thread dedicated to showing off and talking about Reef Octopus Skimmers. So post some photos of your Reef Octopus skimmer stating what model, what size tank (and if possible a :wink: FTS) that it's filtering and what ever other helpful info you can provide to others using the same/similar model.

I will start with a few photos of my previous skimmers to the most current one.

Reef Octopus PRO 200 (I think) on 90gal

Reef Octopus Reeflo 200 stock on 180gal mixed reef

Reef Octopus Reeflo 200 with Pro Kit on 180gal mixed reef

Reef Octopus Extreme 160 with the PSK2500 pump

SRO XP 2000int

Hurricone Cat2 External on 180gal reef

More to come...

OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
SRO 5000ext on 180gal SPS dominant reef

Super Reef Octopus XP3000ext on my 180gal SPS dominant reef

My current skimmer the XP3000ext on a 220gal

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
I would love to see how the external ones are plumed into the system. im not happy with my current skimmer and im looking to make a change on my 90g

OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
With my recirculating external skimmers I always feed the via manifold off of my Return pump.

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
With my recirculating external skimmers I always feed the via manifold off of my Return pump.
understood sorry i wasnt clear but my current external unit requires it to be above the sump so i was wanting to see where the exit point to these units is. Also what unit is recommended for 90g

OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
For an external I would suggest the XP2000ext or the SRO2000ext for a heavily stocked 90gal. The output sits about 7.5" from the base of the skimmer. There is also the more affordable Classic line of recirculating skimmers DNW150.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
I like overkill! What would you suggest for a mixed reef with anemones, sps, lps, zoas, etc. at 150g? I like clean!

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
29g w/20g sump . My skimmer is the BH-50 works great!! My tank is mostly LPS besides a few montis. houses about 7 fish. this tank is just 6 months old.

kschweer

Zoas!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Here's my dnwb-110 on my 46g bow front with 20g sump. Love this skimmer. Can't see myself using any other brand. Just ordered a nwb-110 for my 30g frag system with 15g sump.

And heres a few really quick cell phone pictures of the tank.

Attachments

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Here's my Hurricone Cat 2:

IMG_4074.jpg by STL01, on Flickr

It keeps a 180 gallon mixed reef tidy. I don't have any recent photos (this was shortly after install, hence the pristine sump), but it looks pretty much like most of the above when it's got a good foam going.

OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
4c750c8b-0b13-c2be.jpg
It looks like you may need to glue those outlet fittings but the skimmer really seems to be foaming great. Thanks for posting.

OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
Here's my Hurricone Cat 2:

IMG_4074.jpg by STL01, on Flickr

It keeps a 180 gallon mixed reef tidy. I don't have any recent photos (this was shortly after install, hence the pristine sump), but it looks pretty much like most of the above when it's got a good foam going.
That is one beast of a skimmer for a 180gal. Very nice looking setup. Thanks for posting.

kschweer

Zoas!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
4c750c8b-0b13-c2be.jpgIt looks like you may need to glue those outlet fittings but the skimmer really seems to be foaming great. Thanks for posting.
Yea I plan on it. Its on my long list of things to do. Couldn't be happier with the skimmer.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
How are skimmer tank volume ratings calculated?

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello glad I we have this sponsor. I want to hang a BH2000 on my Wet/Dry system. The problem I have is that I only have 10 1/4" from the top of the Wet/Dry so my question is will the collection cup be able to come off skimmer while it hanging on the Wet/Dry? Its a 135gal FOWLR.

OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

[email protected]

CoralVue PR Manager
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello glad I we have this sponsor. I want to hang a BH2000 on my Wet/Dry system. The problem I have is that I only have 10 1/4" from the top of the Wet/Dry so my question is will the collection cup be able to come off skimmer while it hanging on the Wet/Dry? Its a 135gal FOWLR.
The cup is 5.25" tall and when installed and when installed and seated all the way down it is approximately 6.7". So if you have it all the way up you might only need 1â€. If you have it down you may need 4â€.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
The cup is 5.25" tall and when installed and when installed and seated all the way down it is approximately 6.7". So if you have it all the way up you might only need 1”. If you have it down you may need 4”.
So if I reading this correctly, with the skimmer hanging on the Wet/Dry I will about a 1" of clearance to remove the collection cup?
Thanks, this will work out great

Is Reefing the ONLY option for you?

• Reefing or nothing!

Votes: 43 59.7%
  • I would consider freshwater.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 5 6.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors