OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only do I love that job, I did it in my vase :) so it’s been modeled already/ done

your job is just bigger. I’m going to link a thread where nobody listens regarding aiptasia removal, apply this to your mushroom tank.

the sand cleaning is already covered here / ridding newly cleaned rocks of detritus before reinstalling, but regarding anemone removal here are two specific threads:

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Thread where they won’t listen regarding anemone removal

2. my then nine year old micro nano being ridded of 200 red shroom total takeover. Using that method above. Skip cycle rip cleaned:

not one single mushroom survived. The other corals are bubbling here to my right side in the kitchen currently.

*pre model these big jobs*

take one rock, make it shroom free, swish rinse in a bucket of saltwater, reinstall one perfect tooth in that reef mouth. Check for regrowth details in a week or two I bet it’s fine. Upscale if results are warranted

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my sand and cleaned the rocks today. Everything is clean and the clowns seem happy. This is what the sand looked like before replacing. It's kind of hard to see because I turned off the lights when I saw it starting to grow again but within about a week the bottom would have been covered.

20200708_183508.jpg 20200708_183445.jpg 20200708_183427.jpg 20200708_183408.jpg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that was such a great run, you preserved the age/maturation look of the tank by keeping that purple coralline in place vs cleaning it off, thats a badge of years/months like a man's beard lol nice one

that is a 1000% clean cloudless rinse

thank you so much for documenting this for our team this will help others with similar tanks get ready for the dive surgery

you have reset the lifespan of the tank perfectly while maintaining the reefy look and function, excellent

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that was such a great run, you preserved the age/maturation look of the tank by keeping that purple coralline in place vs cleaning it off, thats a badge of years/months like a man's beard lol nice one

that is a 1000% clean cloudless rinse

thank you so much for documenting this for our team this will help others with similar tanks get ready for the dive surgery

you have reset the lifespan of the tank perfectly while maintaining the reefy look and function, excellent
It was a lot easier than I expected and let me tell you the old sand was nasty.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse and bleach that to get floc and dried organics free, not sure if single pass rinse alone would work. once it’s sat with a little bleach in the water + sand, then I’d rinse until it’s totally clear and would take an hour of rinsing I bet to get clarity. Then you could let it dry out/inactivates bleach, rinse one more time and use. I think more than one rinse w be required

if it wasn’t stored heavily laden with waste regular rinsing in tap w probably work but if stored dirty I’d use bleach to help cut waste off the grains

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done for longevity on making the tank age in balance and keeping that beard-like coralline and polyp wall, nice c. jardenai elegance those guys won’t tolerate any kind of upset params they’ll recede and die when offended, ergo yours is happy in the cleaned out new sand system

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done for longevity on making the tank age in balance and keeping that beard-like coralline and polyp wall, nice c. jardenai elegance those guys won’t tolerate any kind of upset params they’ll recede and die when offended, ergo yours is happy in the cleaned out new sand system
It actually took a long time to get everything back to growing and not getting constant algae outbreaks. It all calmed down after the rip clean. I did brush the back and sides but not enough to remove 100% of the algae. The back has a nice low mat of hair algae. The addition of a Yellow eye kole tang and lawnmower blenny keeps most algae in check. The removal of the sand I feel stopped the constant nutrient swings and crazy Cyano-dino outbreaks. I'm really glad I found your thread documenting this process of rip cleaning / sand rinsing. Thank you.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ode to @brandon429 ....super sand rinse project:

I’ve got a client with a nice 180 reef that, due to some outside circumstances, started to slide a little bit. Then COVID hit, and I wasn’t able to get to the tank for almost 4 months. When I got back to it, it was a disaster. The corals and fish were healthy, but it had turned into a coral swamp rather than a coral reef. After a couple of services, it became clear that a more intense remediation was needed in order to tip the scales back in our favor.

Step 1: remove as much water as possible before disturbing anything. I was able to very quickly get more than 2/3 out while keeping all the solids in the tank (I usually shoot for 3/4, but whatever).

Step 2: I carefully remove all rocks w/coral attached, and brush off any unwanted algae as well as full as much detritus as possible out of the coral and rock. Those are placed in bins with ‘clean’ water from tank.

Step 3: remove all other rock and remove algae and detritus as was done in Step 2

Step 4: remove all other animals, and place in the bins

Step 5: scrub down back and side surfaces to get as much junk as possible off the surface and into the water.

Step 6: rigorously stir up the sand bed. This allows us to free sunken detritus/nutrients, as well as free more toxic substances like hydrogen sulfide. All of this sand is stirred over and over, and then ultimately pushed into one corner of the tank and piled up. This helps preserve micro-fauna and bacteria.

Step 7: gently push as much detritus as possible to opposite side of tank and allow everything to settle out.

Step 8: remove the rest of the water/detritus/waste from the tank. Once that is removed, flatten the sand bed out and begin scraping the rock w/o coral. Then add the water stored in the bins plus new water to replace removed water, fish, corals, inverts, etc

rg3UlUq.jpg

8hnZy73.jpg

8U8LF2M.jpg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gregg I always enjoy your updates there isnt anyone I know getting to document live tank surgery for clients, their $$ and time on the line it’s a big deal to part out someone’s reef.

they trust you big time
and your last build/job was on the scale they do on an animal planet show :) well done please keep us updated on progress

nice idea for internal workings and piling of sand, to preserve what microfauna you can, creativity wins again !

simply storm it until it’s pretty darn clean I see, doesnt have to be total clarity as the rocks are going back rinsed in sw/ejected waste and that much water dilution is perfect. Just wonderful work

a way to preserve bed life, eject at least 90% of waste, old tank syndrome fuel removed

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gregg I always enjoy your updates there isnt anyone I know getting to document live tank surgery for clients, their $$ and time on the line it’s a big deal to part out someone’s reef.

they trust you big time
and your last build/job was on the scale they do on an animal planet show :) well done please keep us updated on progress

nice idea for internal workings and piling of sand, to preserve what microfauna you can, creativity wins again !

simply storm it until it’s pretty darn clean I see, doesnt have to be total clarity as the rocks are going back rinsed in sw/ejected waste and that much water dilution is perfect. Just wonderful work

a way to preserve bed life, eject at least 90% of waste, old tank syndrome fuel removed
Thanks, @brandon429 .

Yeah, definitely a lot of trust...on the part of the client, but maybe even more so in myself. At this point, it’s a routine part of my tank management...typically every 2 years or so. I believe it promotes longevity, and the clients like it because everything becomes rearranged and looks new. I guess I trust myself a lot more now than I did when I first started doing stuff like this. It takes a bit of faith to say ‘Here’s a perfectly good reef tank...I think I’ll completely tear it apart’.

But in many years of doing these kinds of interventions, I can’t really think of a single time it wasn’t an improvement. Even with the tanks that were very healthy and looked really good, they ended up looking better afterward.

Intermediate disturbance hypothesis...corals are built for that kind of shake-up.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect. Although Ive never had a reef bigger than eight pounds all up running with water I can tell by micro models that eutrophic condition is onset by detritus and fixed by ridding however creatively we can muster that :)

large tanks have a nice bell curve they can ride for a while compared to micro models, but eutrophication warnings look the same tank to tank/scaleable biology pretty neat

Last edited:

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect. Although Ive never had a reef bigger than eight pounds all up running with water I can tell by micro models that eutrophic condition is onset by detritus and fixed by ridding however creatively we can muster that :)

large tanks have a nice bell curve they can ride for a while compared to micro models, but eutrophication warnings look the same tank to tank/scaleable biology pretty neat
Exactly.

Also, thanks for reminding me of that other tank project. I had completely forgotten about that thread. I’ll have to update it when I get a chance to get some pics.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back