The Optimal Light Spectrum in a Reef Aquarium

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever once been down and actually seen a reef with your own eyes?

I honestly believe you have not and only assume you know what they look like

It's called moving closer to the corals lol, and if you notice the corals are more brown and yellow due to the natural sunlight! Look at the fish in comparison. And the shimmer of the direct sunlight, but go ahead and keep living in your blue saturated dreams
Yes, in shallow water, above 10 meters, there is still "some" red. The closer you get to something, the less total distance is involved, meaning less red has been absorbed.

Science.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen reefs in Hawaii, Cozumel and Florida.
Seen or actually dove them? To what depth? How many hrs have you logged? I have over 5000 hrs civilian logged and countless military. Both open and closed circuit. Even mixed gas.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in shallow water, above 10 meters, there is still "some" red. The closer you get to something, the less total distance is involved, meaning less red has been absorbed.

Science.
Yes the closer you move to the coral, the less water the light reflecting off the corals to your eyes is absorbed by the water. That is why yhe corals further away appear more blue then the closer ones. As the divers move closer there is less water between the coral and lense so the true light hitting the coral is seen

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoPro red.jpg

Red lens set for underwater video with a GoPro.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And once you're below 10 meters, you must use an artificial light source because there is zero red light.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to the optimal light spectrum discussion...
Which you have zero personal experience with since you have not been down there and seen it with your own eyes!
Man it must hurt to try to act like you know what your talking about without ever being there!
This is like having a blind person describe colors to me

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoPro red.jpg

Red lens set for underwater video with a GoPro.
You do understand those lenses are to fix the cameras inability to film how it looks in reality right? It does not make it look different from reality

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which you have zero personal experience with since you have not been down there and seen it with your own eyes!
Man it must hurt to try to act like you know what your talking about without ever being there!
This is like having a blind person describe colors to me
Funny, I thought I had posted this. Yes, I've snorkeled and dived in Hawaii, Cozumel and Florida reefs.

Dude, please chill or see somebody. You're starting to sound like you-know-who.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do understand those lenses are to fix the cameras inability to film how it looks in reality right? It does not make it look different from reality
Yes, the lenses reduce the effect of the overwhelming blue light.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the lenses reduce the effect of the overwhelming blue light.
That the camera picks up, not how the eye picks it up. That is where you are confused. You are stuck on camera filters but if you actually were down there you would know you see plenty of white light. The white light is ther reason the corals are mostly yellows and browns. It's not until they are placed in our reefs, under artificial light spectrums that they change to the crazy colors that people see in captive reefs.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That the camera picks up, not how the eye picks it up. That is where you are confused. You are stuck on camera filters but if you actually were down there you would know you see plenty of white light. The white light is ther reason the corals are mostly yellows and browns. It's not until they are placed in our reefs, under artificial light spectrums that they change to the crazy colors that people see in captive reefs.
When I look down just a few feet, or horizontally in the distance, it's all blue to my eyes.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look down just a few feet, or horizontally in the distance, it's all blue to my eyes.
If you are down there next to the coral and look at them they are in whiter light.
Floating on the surface looking down, the sunlight has to pass through the water, reflect off the coral and then all the way back up to your eyes. As for looking out horizontal into the distance, yes it appears blue. But if you look at a person close to you they look normal. That is because almost all the light reaching them and reflecting off reaches your eyes.

Have you ever seen a fun house mirror room where the mirrors are reflecting the image into each other? Enough reflections and the image gets darker. Well that same thing happens at distances when looking at objects under water. But when your close you see all the light that is actually reaching the object.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't go diving with stupid orange lenses on a dive mask to color correct the coral for a reason by the way. That reason is they are not needed, as they are in full spectrum to near full spectrum daylight

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are down there next to the coral and look at them they are in whiter light.
Floating on the surface looking down, the sunlight has to pass through the water, reflect off the coral and then all the way back up to your eyes. As for looking out horizontal into the distance, yes it appears blue. But if you look at a person close to you they look normal. That is because almost all the light reaching them and reflecting off reaches your eyes.

Have you ever seen a fun house mirror room where the mirrors are reflecting the image into each other? Enough reflections and the image gets darker. Well that same thing happens at distances when looking at objects under water. But when your close you see all the light that is actually reaching the object.
Funhouse mirrors just make me look fat.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this a discussion? You all know the answers…. Let it go.
To be honest this discussion has spread over at least 6 other threads now and it's the same on all of them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back