The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
The longterm success of not quarantining fish is the result of well established tanks with immense bio-diversity, healthy fish with built in resistance and a low stress environment.

The Reef2Reef Fish Disease Database gets dozens of new threads daily and hundreds of new posts a day by those that were not as successful at dropping in fish straight from the pet store. Wouldn't be a bad idea to read a few of these.

If you do not know what you are doing it is kind of like playing Russian Roulette.

The local reef form is full of reefers selling their entire setups after a couple of years of not having much success.

Kudos to @Frogger

The above post represents the wisdom of both sides in the qt discussion. As a Gemini, I will approach this from my side of the coin:

“If you don’t know what you are doing it is kind of like playing Russian Roulette.”

If you don’t know what you are doing, you best emulate somebody that does know what they are doing. That is why I go with natural filtration because Mother Nature is a part of Intelligent Design and I like it that way.

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did Gerald Hesslinger locate IndoPacific SeaFarm at the NOAA SeaGrant facility. I think he got nutrient rich water from > 2000’.

I always wandered how you guys manage the heat gain in outside aquaculture. When I tried corals in a green house, to maintain 75 - 85 degrees ran my utility bill to $1000 at which point I shut the greenhouse down.
I have revised my business plan to include hardy seaweed and critters that live with in like pods, green mollies, sheephead minnows and grass shrimp. I sell this to LFS at $25/lb.
Yes, Heslinga's facility was at the Energy Lab. I wanted to tour it, but he would never allow anyone to visit. In fact, the fence around it was covered with shade cloth to prevent visual inspections.
Re: Seaweeds, refugia critters: Sounds like a good business plan.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Heslinga's facility was at the Energy Lab. I wanted to tour it, but he would never allow anyone to visit. In fact, the fence around it was covered with shade cloth to prevent visual inspections.
Re: Seaweeds, refugia critters: Sounds like a good business plan.

I meant him at a talk he gave in Dallas on clam farming in the Phillipeann Islands. I was impressed with how he contributed to the economic well-being of the region by providing knowledge & leadership to develope a thriving community around farming in the sea. Different than “fishermen of the sea” who extracted what was there, these clam farmers developed an infrastructure to grow ornamental clams then sell them to the reef aquarium hobby.

I understand Gerald protecting his proprietary knowledge of IPSF methods. He lived ten years in the Philippean Islands to miss an opportunity for a Harvad Doctorate. He left the clam industry to the islanders with no direct financial gain from those 10 years. He is semi retired and I have not spoken with him in 5 years.

Dana,
Your contribution to this hobby demontrates the same passion to protect what we love. To protect is to nurture. For one to nurture, it is necessary to intimately know details. Your knowledge of coral nutrition qualifies you for doctorates of many calibers.

Thank you for the excellence you bring to the reef hobby community. Kudos to you sir.
A Cajun Aggie in Austin, Texas

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come a long way since losing everything I added to my tank last year. I now run uv, ozone, use nsw regularly and feed fresh food. My gobies have been spawning regularly and I noticed last night that my banded coral shrimp is laden with eggs! I feel like things are definitely coming around since I started using these methods and hoping for continued success!
20190223_202525.jpeg

That is cool. Where do you collect NSW?

I had both Peppermint & Grass Shrimp do the same thing. When feeding flake food of color, I so enjoyed watching the color travese the intestinal tract. It always amazed me to see it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of brackish gobies that constantly spawned but the female eventually exploded because I believe over feeding of pellet food + egg compaction... learned that lesson... big mouthed fish need fresh foods

Voila!

“Fish need fresh foods”
Live healthy bacteria “live in” live fish. Good & bad bacteria live in a healthy equilibrium. When oxygen deprived, bad bacteria thrive at the expense of the good bacteria. Inversely, good bacteria holdback bad bacteria.

[Since white blood cells fight off infection, people tend to think that elevated levels are actually beneficial. This is not necessarily the case! A high white blood cell count isn't a specific disease, but it can indicate another problem, such as infection, stress, inflammation, trauma, allergy, or certain diseases.Mar 13, 2013]

Hey Dude,
I think you know more about spoge physiology and the science as well as the “Art of Reefkeeping.

Musings from the Lazy Boy
As a general rule, reduction chemistry happens in anaerobic conditions, so from my point of view, deep sandbeds suck with no oxygen.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I had both Peppermint & Grass Shrimp do the same thing. When feeding flake food of color, I so enjoyed watching the color travese the intestinal tract. It always amazed me to see it.
I collect nsw at a beach right down the hill from my house. It's the one on the right side of the photo.
20160107_165713.jpeg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

And every year when the sargassum comes through I collect hundreds of tiny shrimp to feed the tank! The fish are always extra happy at that time of year.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant him at a talk he gave in Dallas on clam farming in the Phillipeann Islands. I was impressed with how he contributed to the economic well-being of the region by providing knowledge & leadership to develope a thriving community around farming in the sea. Different than “fishermen of the sea” who extracted what was there, these clam farmers developed an infrastructure to grow ornamental clams then sell them to the reef aquarium hobby.

I understand Gerald protecting his proprietary knowledge of IPSF methods. He lived ten years in the Philippean Islands to miss an opportunity for a Harvad Doctorate. He left the clam industry to the islanders with no direct financial gain from those 10 years. He is semi retired and I have not spoken with him in 5 years.

Dana,
Your contribution to this hobby demontrates the same passion to protect what we love. To protect is to nurture. For one to nurture, it is necessary to intimately know details. Your knowledge of coral nutrition qualifies you for doctorates of many calibers.

Thank you for the excellence you bring to the reef hobby community. Kudos to you sir.
A Cajun Aggie in Austin, Texas
You are more than kind with your words. Thank you.
As for Gerald, I heard he died recently. Not sure if true. It was on the internet somewhere so I took the report with a grain of salt.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And every year when the sargassum comes through I collect hundreds of tiny shrimp to feed the tank! The fish are always extra happy at that time of year.[/QUOTE

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassum

[When I first started the hobby, it was a Galveston Bay bio theme. No LFS for Marine hobbiest. I collected on an incoming high tide and fished on outgoing tide. Instead of feeding reef critters with live food from Sargassum mat, I collected two predators from the seaweed. One was the Leaf Fish and the other was the Sea Robin.]

https://www.britannica.com/animal/sea-robin
Sea robin, also called gurnard, any of the slim bottom-dwelling fish of the family Triglidae, found in warm and temperate seas of the world. Sea robins are elongated fish with armoured bony heads and two dorsal fins. Their pectoral fins are fan-shaped, with the bottom few rays each forming separate feelers. These feelers are used by the fishes in “walking” on the bottom and in sensing mollusks, crustaceans, and other bottom-dwelling prey.

Sea robins are usually brightly coloured, and some have ornately patterned pectoral fins. The tub gurnard (Chelidonichthys lucernus) of Europe, for example, is a reddish fish with pectoral fins brightly edged and spotted with blue and green. Sea robins are also vocal and can produce audible sounds with their swim bladders and certain attached muscles. Along the American Atlantic, the common sea robin (Prionotus carolinus) is noted for its sound production. The largest species of sea robins grow about 70 cm (28 inches) long.

26369-004-E8E41EE3.jpg

Some sea robins are scaly; the bodies of others are covered with bony plates. The armoured species are sometimes placed in a separate family, Peristediidae. They are flattened deepwater fish but are otherwise similar to the scaly sea robins.

This article was most recently revised and updated by John P. Rafferty, Editor.

I caught the Sea Robin fishing ultra light tackle on out going tide. I also caught 30 pound Amberjack on 20 pound test monofilament fishing line after an hour of fight. Nighttime collecting consisted of netting Peppermit Shrip between bolders on rock jetties.

Nighttime fishing was such a blast.

Especially exhilarating was giging flounder. Not to be confused with the Aggie Slogan, “Gig em”.

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the dissolved oxygen meter programmed to take a measurement every 15 minutes for the next 24 hours. This is a lighted Rubbermaid tub used for curing about 50 pounds of live rock. Total water volume is about 25 gallons. Circulation pump and protein skimmer used. Dissolved oxygen = 6.84 ppm. (97.6% saturation at 22.1C, 998 hectopascals pressure; light is on.)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the dissolved oxygen meter programmed to take a measurement every 15 minutes for the next 24 hours. This is a lighted Rubbermaid tub used for curing about 50 pounds of live rock. Total water volume is about 25 gallons. Circulation pump and protein skimmer used. Dissolved oxygen = 6.84 ppm. (97.6% saturation at 22.1C, 998 hectopascals pressure; light is on.)

Why light to cure live rock? I would guess you have diver collected uncured life rock that you wish to preserve photosynthetic life.

So in essence, whatever oxygen produced during photosynthesis will be calculated by noticing the differrence in oxygen during dark cycle. The differrence is the BOD of the system. Neat, I liked the way you reversed engineered the logic in that.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why light to cure live rock? I would guess you have diver collected uncured life rock that you wish to preserve photosynthetic life.

So in essence, whatever oxygen produced during photosynthesis will be calculated by noticing the differrence in oxygen during dark cycle. The differrence is the BOD of the system. Neat, I liked the way you reversed engineered the logic in that.
I purchased 50 pounds of uncured live rock from an operation in the Keys. While the rock cured for about a month, I did not light the tank. I'm now using an old BuildMyLED 'Solar Max' strip light for lighting until I get the new tank up and going. Surprisingly, corals not only survived but didn't bleach (there's a photoadaptation project for some ambitious aquarist!) I threw some Caulerpa and Chaeto in the tank as well after cycling. Coralline algae growths exploded after adding the light - there must be at least half a dozen species (purples, pinks, reds) - beautiful rock!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 50 pounds of uncured live rock from an operation in the Keys. While the rock cured for about a month, I did not light the tank. I'm now using an old BuildMyLED 'Solar Max' strip light for lighting until I get the new tank up and going. Surprisingly, corals not only survived but didn't bleach (there's a photoadaptation project for some ambitious aquarist!) I threw some Caulerpa and Chaeto in the tank as well after cycling. Coralline algae growths exploded after adding the light - there must be at least half a dozen species (purples, pinks, reds) - beautiful rock!

If you could, show pictures of what diver collected rock looks like.

I have not received any liverock from the keys. Everything I get is West of Tarpon Springs where the Greek Sponge Fleet is located.

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frogger did you say you had a microscope
From my days working/ researching Tree pest and disease management I have both a dissecting and compound microscopes.
With the dissecting scope I can see things on corals that are not even visible with my 10x optivisor. A compound microscope does not allow this flexibility.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could, show pictures of what diver collected rock looks like.

I have not received any liverock from the keys. Everything I get is West of Tarpon Springs where the Greek Sponge Fleet is located.
Here's a photo of the Keys live rock. The white rock is dead rock I threw in to cure. A live encrusting coral (tan in color) is visible under the power cord at the 3 o'clock position.
live rock.jpg

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my days working/ researching Tree pest and disease management I have both a dissecting and compound microscopes.
With the dissecting scope I can see things on corals that are not even visible with my 10x optivisor. A compound microscope does not allow this flexibility.
That is awesome, good for you. I am jealous. I have no real need for one but have been egging my wife on for years to get one. Nothing fancy just a compound. I am actually closer to getting a 3d printer. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back