The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Quarantine means any time spent away from other fish, diseases, parasites etc. But in this discussion I think we should go with what many people feel is the time period to keep fish separate so the parasites go through their cycle and die.
I hear 72 days a lot so lets say two months.

Medication means just that. If you buy a new fish and put it in anything besides seawater, be it Prizapro, copper, formalin, metheline blue, quinicrine hydrocloride or anything else that comes in a bottle. I don't feel fresh water dipping is that bad because I also have to occasionally do that for flukes, but only for like 2 minutes, possibly 3 if the fish is not to stressed. Then the fish goes right into my reef.
I rarely do that, but occasionally even though I know it severely stresses the fish.

I feel a fish should be acclimated for maybe 20 or 30 minutes depending on the salinity and temperature of the water in the bag. If the temperature and salinity is the same, 5 minutes of acclimation should be enough.

Remember, very important, in a very new tank, no matter if you throw the fish right in or quarantine for a year, you will most likely have problems as fish hate new water with new rocks. Bacteria needs months to settle down and make the tank healthy and stable enough to allow any system to work. It is what it is.

OK someone who doesn't mind argueing with like everyone, put up a poll.
Thanks. As I said - I don't Quarantine - and my GUESS - is that most people that 'quarantine' - do not do it for 72 days. So - its kind of an artificial disagreement right? As to medication - I have not used any medication for at least 15 years - for any reason. So see - we agree.

https://www.omegasea.net/

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would LOVE a survey like this, assuming honest answers. I'm getting back into the hobby after a 12 year hiatus and am 3 weeks into my DT cycle. I have also been cycling a 20g long QT, but have gotten so many mixed messages on the need to quarantine, including the additional stress that quarantining has on a fish and the risk of overtreating with copper, etc., that I'm not even sure I'm going to QT, and maybe just leave the tank up as a hospital tank. I know risk of prevention = lb of cure, but I'm really confused. Add to this the fact that my LFS is super clean and run by a husband & wife who go to great lengths to ensure their livestock is healthy prior to selling (recognizing that there are zero guarantees). They are not against individual quarantining, just do not actively promote it.
You can create your own poll - and then you would get answers. I just tried to create one to find out 'whats the duration most people use for 'Quarantine'? but all the responses were not added - and I cant edit it

ReeferRod

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve been following this thread and find it quite interesting. I have recently acquired a 75 gallon with a sump and a 25 gallon Nuvo AIO. My original plan was to make the 25 gallon a quarantine tank and the 75 gallon my main display tank. I have been cycling the 75 gallon for over week with live rock that I had curing for 5 weeks. The fish that were given to me with the tank are a blue hippo tank and two black and white clown fish Have been sitting in a 20 gallon brute garbage can and doing well. My 75 gallon parameters are as follows Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, Amonia 0, ph 7.8, salinity 1.24, and using Tropic Marin Pro reef salt. I was going to wait another month to complete the 76 days of quarantine in the bucket and then put the fish in the 75 gallon display tank? Now reading this thread, am I doing the fish no good quarantining in the bucket. I have not medicated, I’ve been observing them every day. The fish are very active with great appetites With no signs of any diseases. I have been doing week;y water changes in the bucket and using a sponge filter on an aquaclear power head with a bubbler as well. I am also waiting the 76 days to put the fish from the 25 gallon lagoon in to the 75 gallon display tank, any thoughts?
0FD9920E-A529-4988-8BEB-0527C3DC6904.jpeg
E71D04B4-E7F4-4EC9-B27B-60E90EA678A6.jpeg 04FD4286-DCD7-400E-B432-28D8649A9777.jpeg

OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
is that most people that 'quarantine' - do not do it for 72 days.
Two posts below yours, the guy wants to quarantine in a bucket for 76 days. :cool:
People have all sorts of Ideas how long to quarantine for.

ReeferRod, I don't think it's a good Idea to quarantine any animal in a bucket for 76 days.
If you really want to quarantine I would do it in something that looks like a tank with real hiding places.

Of course I wouldn't quarantine myself, but a lot of people like to do that. You have to make up your own mind what you want to do,

ReeferRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Two posts below yours, the guy wants to quarantine in a bucket for 76 days. :cool:

ReeferRod, I don't think it's a good Idea to quarantine any animal in a bucket for 76 days.
If you really want to quarantine I would do it in something that looks like a tank with real hiding places.

Of course I wouldn't quarantine myself, but a lot of people like to do that. You have to make up your own mind what you want to do,
The bucket has live rock to hide, do you think it’s better to use the 25 gallon lagoon instead? Photos were posted. Thank you

9474A07A-99C3-443D-9BBF-06165A1904A8.jpeg

Reef Pro Corals
OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rod, the fish may feel comfortable in there but you can see them to know if they are well or eating.
Also that much plastic in a small place will add a lot of plasticisizers to the water especially if it is a new bucket. Thats the stuff that gives it a plastic smell and keeps the plastic plyable. Especially in that bucket which is flexible PVC. We don't know how harmful that stuff is but we know it off gases from new plastic and some people feel it is harmful.

Older buckets, I feel are better.
But besides that, I know I want to see the fish to see whats going on. But like I said, I am the wrong guy to ask because I feel quarantining is one of the worst things we invented.

ReeferRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rod, the fish may feel comfortable in there but you can see them to know if they are well or eating.
Also that much plastic in a small place will add a lot of plasticisizers to the water especially if it is a new bucket. Thats the stuff that gives it a plastic smell and keeps the plastic plyable. Especially in that bucket which is flexible PVC. We don't know how harmful that stuff is but we know it off gases from new plastic and some people feel it is harmful.

Older buckets, I feel are better.
But besides that, I know I want to see the fish to see whats going on. But like I said, I am the wrong guy to ask because I feel quarantining is one of the worst things we invented.
Thank you for the advice, I’m going to transition them to the tank this weekend and hope that this non quarantine method works out for me? You guys have brought some good insight especially to those, who prefer not to medicate unnecessarily. I think I’m going to quarantine/observe any future fish in the 25 gallon lagoon pictured in my post, wait a few weeks to ensure good eating behaviors as well as good health then acclimate them to the 75 gallon main tank or should I just acclimate them to the 75 gallon tank from the start and keep the 25 gallon tank strictly for corals?

OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rod, remember it's not just throwing fish in. They have to be in the best shape they can be in and only food and no stress will do that. Dry foods won't help.
New tanks are never healthy

ReeferRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Lol, I understand I’m not just throwing fish in an aquarium, I’ve had a few saltwater tanks that have been smaller with hob refugium and skimmer that I never quarantined fish, just acclimated in a bag with water fill and had some success. Yes I’ve lost fish to disease, which this time with this setup, I’ve considered doing quarantining to be a bit different with hopefully better success. After reading this post, I think I was on the right track previously, I just have a better understanding and knowledge and wanted to attempt a better way to keep fish healthy. This is why this post is so interesting and informative helping me come up with a hybrid process, like you guys have suggested. I’m always willing to learn and share.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
right - that was my point - so when someone says anything 'positive' or 'negative' about quarantine - its important to make sure that the definition of quarantine is. Since the title of the article is 'the other way to run a reef tank - no quarantine' - and you define it as 76 days - to me its a little unclear - here is a link to a poll - I hope everyone here answers the 'duration' question.

OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My Ich magnet Hippo tang has been in my tank for maybe 6 or 8 months and no ich yet. He has also never been fed nori or any dry food.

MnFish1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My Ich magnet Hippo tang has been in my tank for maybe 6 or 8 months and no ich yet. He has also never been fed nori or any dry food.

Except every couple weeks - when I feed LRS - I feed flake food. Protein, carbohydrates and fats are all broken down into the same things - Now - would I only feed fat to my fish - or - only carbs - no - but I guess I agree with you nori is overrated - as is live food.

Do you use NON-AQUARIUM items on your aquarium?

• Yes a lot

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Yes but very little

Votes: 49 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
VarioS: Return Pump. Skimmer Pump. Reactor Pump.