The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to quit reading after page 15 therefore if this has been asked then please excuse me.

How do vegetarian fish acquire their gut bacteria and if it’s from the live vegetation then can that be substituted with fish that are omnivorous?

As one who has commercially sold and bred boa constrictors since the late 80s, I too have come to the belief that immunity surpasses medications. I let my sick boas heal on their own unless it’s at a point of death and then I outweigh the intent such as am I trying to grow a future breeder or pet. Breeders don’t get medicated since I don’t just breed to select the best looking but also seek the best genetically. Kind of like herd immunity in which the weak will perish and the strongest go on to procreate their genes. Sounds harsh but then nature isn’t kind.

BTW, I’m not a freak on cleaninness. Not with life in a box of water or box of terrestrials. No anti bacterial soap in my house, either. Played in the mud as a kid. Perhaps I should go back to that but not sure my knees would appreciate it

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do vegetarian fish acquire their gut bacteria and if it’s from the live vegetation then can that be substituted with fish that are omnivorous?
IME there is no such thing as a vegetarian fish. Throw a clam in and see your tangs attack it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"vegetarian" fish like tangs can and will eat anything. The algae they are eating is also loaded with living fry, pods, worms, crabs and all sorts of living things. I keep hippo tangs and they normally live about 10 years and I never feed greens.

I feed LRS food, live worms and clams. Thats all they get. The nori many people feed is dried and sterile. I don't feel is a very good food but they certainly will live on it. In the sea there are all sorts of creatures they are also eating.

See all the "dots" here and to the left of that sleepy Nurse Shark?. I don't remember where I took those photo's but all fish eat that. It's like an all you can eat buffet and those fry are filled with gut bacteria and vitamin A.

Many people in the hobby think we are doing something great because we feed all the food from an LFS with a colorful picture of a Queen Angelfish on the front and a list of vitamins and minerals on the back. It's good, but live or freshly frozen whole foods are probably better.
IMO fish don't need to eat living bacteria at every meal, but a few times a week should be fine.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line - live food is far superior to prepared. I learned that decades ago with freshwater fish. No doubt prepared fish food is better than it was but live is still best.

I almost decided to run all fish through a host of meds in an effort to eliminate all disease but did not because I knew I'd be feeding whole clams, oysters and mussels. I'm thinking shellfish might bring parasites and such back in. Plus, I was concerned with losing fish to med poisoning and stress.

I am absolutely so glad for this choice. Using whole food is super easy, the only drawback is picking shells out of the tank every week.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Paul about providing plenty of hiding spots. I think that lowers stress levels, big time.

IMO, the no QT method should only be done in a mature tank, certainly not a new one.

Last edited:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the clams in for the tusk, but here are my herbivores going after it.

Attachments

• VID20230609121229.mp4
    47.8 MB

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right - fish will eat almost everything. Post a picture of your fish eating Nori.
I have those too, but I am figuring that you don't really want to see them. I'm fact, here is my foxface right now!

What's your point....if there is one? Is it that you want to cut down everyone else without ever saying how you would do it?

I never really see you saying how you do anything, but I constantly see you posting all over this site on multiple threads about how someone else is doing it wrong. How does anyone benifit from that, including yourself?

1686348985484156556068403103921.jpg IMG20230609182240.jpg

Last edited:

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay I’ll send a link

Link from eBay seller

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Link from eBay seller
Who (species) is eating these? I was feeding white worms years ago, but my clowns were the only ones eating them so I stopped.

I don't mind doing it again, but I'm not going through the effort for 2 fish.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who (species) is eating these? I was feeding white worms years ago, but my clowns were the only ones eating them so I stopped.

I don't mind doing it again, but I'm not going through the effort for 2 fish.
My wantanabe angel, Midas blenny, Royal gramma, clowns, red velvet wrasse, rhomboid wrasse, and the yellow watchman goby if he’s aggressive enough.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those too, but I am figuring that you don't really want to see them. I'm fact, here is my foxface right now!

What's your point....if there is one? Is it that you want to cut down everyone else without ever saying how you would do it?

I never really see you saying how you do anything, but I constantly see you posting all over this site on multiple threads about how someone else is doing it wrong. How does anyone benifit from that, including yourself?

1686348985484156556068403103921.jpg IMG20230609182240.jpg
Hi it’s just opinions of other reefers everyone can have a opinion. But what works for one person might not work for others . Paul B thread has changed my way of thinking totally and for the better. Imo

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it’s just opinions of other reefers everyone can have a opinion. But what works for one person might not work for others . Paul B thread has changed my way of thinking totally and for the better. Imo
Great, now you just have to shave your head. :D

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I read you had Anemones at one point and fed earth worms to them . Did you do any prep first freeze them or just gave them alive think of giving my nems some . I know you need worms from place that are free from pesticides ect . Also no problem I am bald anyway lol

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the worms live. The anemones get a kick out of the squiggling. The worms need no prep. You can sing to them if you like but it is probably not needed as they don't have ears. :D

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the worms live. The anemones get a kick out of the squiggling. The worms need no prep. You can sing to them if you like but it is probably not needed as they don't have ears. :D
Paul what song did you sing to your worm’s?
excited mark GIF by Qvisten Animation

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back