The peace of mind is amazing

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my Quarantined invertebrates and fish that I recently received from TSM aquatics, and sitting here watching the tank knowing for a fact that I’ll never have to deal with ich, brook, or some other disease that will cause a tank tear down or livestock loss is absolutely amazing.

The peace of mind you get watching the little guys swim around, confident that as long as you take care of the water parameters, and keep your equipment maintained you’ll have some friends for years to come is extremely satisfying.

I’ll be quarantining every frag (90 days) in a different tank and I started with dry rock, sand, and a new tank. It’s an amazing feeling. I’ll never buy another non quarantined fish ever again. The price is not only not even that much more, but I don’t care, because it’s worth it.

Just wanted to share that this hobby is so much more fun without the worry of a ticking time bomb in the back of your mind. Thank you TSM!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last fish purchase was from Dr. Reef's Quarantined Fish. It's great to order fish and then be able acclimate and introduce them to the DT without additional QT. Cost more and waited 6 weeks for the order but it's worth the "piece of mind".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not go as far as NEVER but for sure slim chance of disease and other ailments. It takes stress, power outage, spikes to turn this around but on the positive not- Youve done your homework and careful shopping which should assure no occurrences.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last fish purchase was from Dr. Reef's Quarantined Fish. It's great to order fish and then be able acclimate and introduce them to the DT without additional QT. Cost more and waited 6 weeks for the order but it's worth the "piece of mind".
Never heard of this. Dr. Reef’s qt’d fish. I always qt fish but would rather not. I must look into it. I know I will still qt but maybe with less med. that would be great

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely feel better about it. TSM Aquatics, @Dr. Reef, Bay Bridge Aquarium, Fishotel.com, and Marine Collectors have all been vendors I've used and will continue to use.

You have to be realistic though. There are some parasites that are known, but nearly impossible to eradicate. Uronema is one of them. Dr. Reef sent me a genicanthus watanabei pair. The male didn't fair well in shipping. The female is doing amazing. The male was laying on his side breathing heavily for the first 10 hours he was in the tank. Then out of nowhere he started swimming upright. The next day he was swimming around just fine. He didn't eat, but he looked like he wanted to. This morning, he died. Uronema had taken his life overnight. He had no lesions on his side before I went to bed. He had a hole in his side it was so bad. 20210702_081930.jpg

With all that being said, I'm still 100% satisfied with everything because I'm aware of the difficulty of eradicating uronema. He's got more of them, so he's replacing it with another male. I also lost a few fish from Marine Collectors, but he made it right too. I'm still going to buy every fish I can from them and from any quarantine vendor that has the fish I want. I know that I'll never have to worry about ich or velvet or about getting a fish that doesn't eat prepared foods or has internal parasites. That alone will always be worth it to me.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of this. Dr. Reef’s qt’d fish. I always qt fish but would rather not. I must look into it. I know I will still qt but maybe with less med. that would be great
I like Dr. Reef. I bought two quarantined clowns from him. They were healthy and eating. The owner is responsive and easy to communicate with.

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following this thread with great interest, having lost ALL my fish to what I believe was a fish infected with velvet. Very heart breaking to watch them all go one by one.

Here’s the question. I feel if I don’t add any fish for 90 days that will be sufficient to let it die off. Am I correct in this strategy? Should I also consider adding UV to my system?

Regardless, ALL new fish will be purchased already quarantined.

Thanks!

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM is 30 minuted from me and I scooped a couple of designer clowns from them. The piece of mind was exactly what I was going for, and my little guys are doing very well!

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely feel better about it. TSM Aquatics, @Dr. Reef, Bay Bridge Aquarium, Fishotel.com, and Marine Collectors have all been vendors I've used and will continue to use.

You have to be realistic though. There are some parasites that are known, but nearly impossible to eradicate. Uronema is one of them. Dr. Reef sent me a genicanthus watanabei pair. The male didn't fair well in shipping. The female is doing amazing. The male was laying on his side breathing heavily for the first 10 hours he was in the tank. Then out of nowhere he started swimming upright. The next day he was swimming around just fine. He didn't eat, but he looked like he wanted to. This morning, he died. Uronema had taken his life overnight. He had no lesions on his side before I went to bed. He had a hole in his side it was so bad. 20210702_081930.jpg

With all that being said, I'm still 100% satisfied with everything because I'm aware of the difficulty of eradicating uronema. He's got more of them, so he's replacing it with another male. I also lost a few fish from Marine Collectors, but he made it right too. I'm still going to buy every fish I can from them and from any quarantine vendor that has the fish I want. I know that I'll never have to worry about ich or velvet or about getting a fish that doesn't eat prepared foods or has internal parasites. That alone will always be worth it to me.
So what are the suggested precautions for this? Observe in a qt without meds for a couple of weeks? Try to proactively treat for uronema anyways (formalin)? Talking specifically for pre-qt fish.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my Quarantined invertebrates and fish that I recently received from TSM aquatics, and sitting here watching the tank knowing for a fact that I’ll never have to deal with ich, brook, or some other disease that will cause a tank tear down or livestock loss is absolutely amazing.

The peace of mind you get watching the little guys swim around, confident that as long as you take care of the water parameters, and keep your equipment maintained you’ll have some friends for years to come is extremely satisfying.

I’ll be quarantining every frag (90 days) in a different tank and I started with dry rock, sand, and a new tank. It’s an amazing feeling. I’ll never buy another non quarantined fish ever again. The price is not only not even that much more, but I don’t care, because it’s worth it.

Just wanted to share that this hobby is so much more fun without the worry of a ticking time bomb in the back of your mind. Thank you TSM!
Curious if anyone knows of a reliable coral vendor that keeps the corals in fishless systems for 76 days before selling? Everyone I’ve asked so far keeps fish in their coral systems for the health of the corals.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
Just wanted to share that this hobby is so much more fun without the worry of a ticking time bomb in the back of your mind.
Yes, it is.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There any number of things that can cause disease to surface whether you quarantined for a year or 3 weeks. What else are you doing that guarantees no disease in the future?

OP
OP
MuscleBobBuffPants

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There any number of things that can cause disease to surface whether you quarantined for a year or 3 weeks. What else are you doing that guarantees no disease in the future?
Dry rock, dry sand, dry food, QTd coral frags, no used equipment, not sure what else you’re referring to.

Back