The Peninsula Tank Discussion Thread – A Resource – Maybe!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes a thread for the P crew!

I have been wanting a peninsula tanks for years. now I have 2..haha
I have been saying its like having 3 tanks.

the cons of P tanks:
more corals to make it look full. with 3 side to attach corals your gonna need 3x the amount to give that full look & with the price of coral these days.... :0

defiantly flow, alltho I think I am getting close on the one that is set up.

lighting: harder to get that clean look for sure. for the larger peninsula I hope to make a floating canopy to hide the wires.

more glass to clean. you gotts keep that glass clean or it not gonna look good.

aquascape I think you really need to play around with this to get it right. \

placement ,you gottta have a place for a peninsula tank. they dont go everywhrere

positives of P tanks:

more corals ( yeah this was a con to) with 3 sides you have lots of room.

can really bring a room together IMHO who would not like a room divider that 's a reef.

sump access if done right you can access the sump form both sides.

IMHO there just the best type of tank out there.

so now my 2 peninsula:

I have the fiji cube 18.5 peninsula nano great little nano for the living room couch side I highly recommend this set up. so much fun to have a reef by your comfy chair!
lets not forget nano P tanks guys.

next I will have the RS 650P -I bought the RS750 but then we bought a house with a perfect place for a BIG peninsula tank so i traded it for the smaller 650P lost a bit of money but I get a peninsula tank! the reno on the new house will be done in a cpl months and I can start that build.

talk about tank placement :

1583253330438.png

All great points...thanks for sharing your experiences.

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this thread. setting up a 310 pennisula tank that will be set at bar height. 96x30x24. i went with pvc bottom so i could implement a closed loop system. i plan on doing sps dominant so planning on running a large closed loop pump. i plan on doing 4 sea swirls on the returns and hope for the best. im sure i will end up with pumps in the tank but hoping to avoid them as long as possible. does anyone have expierence with the RFG's on a sea swirl? do you think it will interfere with the mechanism that moves the nozzle ? i will post some build pics eventually. going to start a build thread once the tank arrives.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for flow on my upcoming RS650P my plane is 2 Gyres 350 vertical + a RFG on the return and if I need a flat power hear on the overflow going across the scape.

it's going to be a mixed reef mostly LPS tho but a few SPS near the PH and softies and low flow corals at the end. like all I am really trying to keep PH off the end.

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peninsula (Red Sea 650) has been online for just over a year now, and while it doesn’t come close to most of the tanks already posted, I thought I would share some pictures...

EF0A71AC-6210-4750-BFE2-1A3C3665B02C.jpeg
02CB3EA2-5CA8-436E-AD2C-A4891B2533A6.jpeg
9F8501E9-B47C-46D0-A2AD-8F953607B1FF.jpeg
5C1C047A-E0F4-4FBD-A17F-6F6A46567D67.jpeg

the cons of P tanks:
more corals to make it look full. with 3 side to attach corals your gonna need 3x the amount to give that full look & with the price of coral these days.... :0

lighting: harder to get that clean look for sure. for the larger peninsula I hope to make a floating canopy to hide the wires.

placement ,you gottta have a place for a peninsula tank. they dont go everywhrere

positives of P tanks:

can really bring a room together IMHO who would not like a room divider that 's a reef.

so now my 2 peninsula:

I have the fiji cube 18.5 peninsula nano great little nano for the living room couch side I highly recommend this set up. so much fun to have a reef by your comfy chair!

next I will have the RS 650P -I bought the RS750 but then we bought a house with a perfect place for a BIG peninsula tank so i traded it for the smaller 650P lost a bit of money but I get a peninsula tank! the reno on the new house will be done in a cpl months and I can start that build.

1583253330438.png

I agree with all of these points!
  • It’s a challenge to find a light fixture that doesn’t detract from the overall look. I am very happy with the one that came with my Red Sea deluxe kit.
  • Flow can be tricky, but with some good planning and aquascaping, is very solvable, even without any equipment on the far wall. In my opinion, in a tank longer than 6’, power heads on the far wall is a must
  • Placement (and structural concerns) are a much bigger consideration. While most people can get away exceeding he load ratings of their floors when the tank is up against a wall, it’s a whole different story once the tank is projecting into the middle of the room and resting on the weakest part of the structure.
  • So much room for coral! But lots more coral is needed to make the aquarium look ‘full’
for flow on my upcoming RS650P my plane is 2 Gyres 350 vertical + a RFG on the return and if I need a flat power hear on the overflow going across the scape.

it's going to be a mixed reef mostly LPS tho but a few SPS near the PH and softies and low flow corals at the end. like all I am really trying to keep PH off the end.

This is exactly what I did! Some advice:
  • The gyres mounted vertically work well, but can create sand tornadoes at he highest speeds
  • The gyres will provide ample flow for the first 3’- perfect for SPS. The return nozzle really provides most of the circulation at the very far end of the tank, and does a surprisingly good job. My acans and other lower-flow corals are very happy with the flow that it provides.
  • Ensure your aquascaping allows for a direct path across the tank, between the return nozzle and about halfway down the back wall. I have found that this provides a very nice flow at the far end (almost too much for my gorgonian)
  • I don’t recommend the Random Flow Generator for this application. I tried it for all of 5 minutes before returning it. It is a brilliant design, but just isn’t the right tool when trying to get the flow to travel as far as possible. My experience is that I lost all flow at the far end of the tank, and the return flow was significantly restricted.
Hope that helps!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peninsula (Red Sea 650) has been online for just over a year now, and while it doesn’t come close to most of the tanks already posted, I thought I would share some pictures...

• It’s a challenge to find a light fixture that doesn’t detract from the overall look. I am very happy with the one that came with my Red Sea deluxe kit.
  • Flow can be tricky, but with some good planning and aquascaping, is very solvable, even without any equipment on the far wall. In my opinion, in a tank longer than 6’, power heads on the far wall is a must
  • Placement (and structural concerns) are a much bigger consideration. While most people can get away exceeding he load ratings of their floors when the tank is up against a wall, it’s a whole different story once the tank is projecting into the middle of the room and resting on the weakest part of the structure.
  • So much room for coral! But lots more coral is needed to make the aquarium look ‘full’

• The gyres mounted vertically work well, but can create sand tornadoes at he highest speeds
  • The gyres will provide ample flow for the first 3’- perfect for SPS. The return nozzle really provides most of the circulation at the very far end of the tank, and does a surprisingly good job. My acans and other lower-flow corals are very happy with the flow that it provides.
  • Ensure your aquascaping allows for a direct path across the tank, between the return nozzle and about halfway down the back wall. I have found that this provides a very nice flow at the far end (almost too much for my gorgonian)
  • I don’t recommend the Random Flow Generator for this application. I tried it for all of 5 minutes before returning it. It is a brilliant design, but just isn’t the right tool when trying to get the flow to travel as far as possible. My experience is that I lost all flow at the far end of the tank, and the return flow was significantly restricted.
Hope that helps!

Beautiful tank and excellent input. Thanks for sharing both.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seemed to accumulate a lot of scum on the top of the tank that refused to migrate to the overflow. I have a single Maxspec 250 at each end. The way I solved it was by attaching a 6' piece of lock line to each return and running it under the hood to the opposite end of the tank. Now I have positive flow from one end of the tank towards the overflow and the hood hides them completely. One year old.
20200216_160552.jpg
Yes to this. I solved it by leaving the pumps opposite OF on while turning off the pumps on the OF side at noon and midnight. In about 15 minutes all the surface shmutz gets pushed into the OF.

SaltyVisions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this thread popped up in the r2r email, working on my new 48x30x20T as we speak. Going slow on this build since I have time to get it right and will definitely apply some of the knowledge being dropped here! Don’t pay attention to the ugly temp tank in the background lol. Also including a pic of my last 6x2x2 acrylic tank. Got tired of acrylic, the height and the center overflow taking up real estate.

04BABEA7-FC99-46EB-AE27-EDF71DA32B4D.jpeg 2495C5A2-80DB-4659-8EA6-2B406AFF0F96.jpeg 7FFD2632-7655-4A5A-A5E1-AB94CB0B4619.jpeg

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got into the saltwater coming from freshwater and i just set up a peninsula tank.....just a 40 breeder with a fiji cube aio setup....what i like about it is 2 big sides and a small side compared to just 1 big side and 2 small sides

20200208_170153.jpg Message_1581117201558.jpg 20200206_214127.jpg 20200117_235239.jpg 20200111_202308.jpg 20200111_202255.jpg 20200111_202249.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got into the saltwater coming from freshwater and i just set up a peninsula tank.....just a 40 breeder with a fiji cube aio setup....what i like about it is 2 big sides and a small side compared to just 1 big side and 2 small sides

20200208_170153.jpg Message_1581117201558.jpg 20200206_214127.jpg 20200117_235239.jpg 20200111_202308.jpg 20200111_202255.jpg 20200111_202249.jpg

nice gotta love a 40br. there such classic tanks.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope that helps!

beautiful tank!
thanks for the info! i'll have to check out your build thread.. I wonder if I can get the light holder..hmmm that does look pretty sharp. google here I come

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....... to shelve across the whole peninsula or to island, that is the question. Getting ready to set up a 300 gallon peninsula and am having a hard time deciding.

Peninsula Shelve:
70FCCFE7-3F1F-4FE1-A75A-693F32507938.jpeg

or Island:
6F96262E-C000-4E4E-B2BB-BB7C8526A68F.jpeg
That's the good bit about a reef tank, once it's full of corals it hides our terrible art work lol. They will both look great for sure. But I guess it depends on what tupe of coral you'll keep. The cost of filling it, fish capacity, flow, detritus etc. I think these all need to be taken into account in order not to design something beautiful that just causes you a mass of work later.

My choice, definitely the shelf design. I've always liked the look of a full blown established reef in my living room full of Acro's. Only reason why I don't have such is due to the price hike since the indo ban. Just to darn expensive for 100 Acro's. .

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

the cons of P tanks:

positives of P tanks:

so now my 2 peninsula:

1583253330438.png
this is perfect placement for when you don't whish to see the Mrs face haha. Nice.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope that helps!
That is a nice looking light fixture. I'd love to do some DIY like this on my rack but I'm afraid the cat would end up in the tank .

Maybe when she's to old to climb.

i_am_poor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup found it on saltwaterfish.com no inside measurements to see of my reef breeders will fit or not tho. gonna have to look into in some more.
cheaper to make a floating canopy out of 1x6" and paint it white

The rail will fit any fixture with a width of 7.5" - 9 ". I had the pendant over my peninsula and now the floating canopy and I prefer the slim and sleek pendant over the clunky canopy by far. However the wife didnt like the blue light bleeding into the living room.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...However the wife didnt like the blue light bleeding into the living room.

It's not blue light bleeding, it's mood lighting. :cool: (Terminology is real...lol).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back