The perfect stand height! Do you wish your stand was taller or shorter?

What's most important when it comes to the height of your tank stand?

• The viewing heigth

Votes: 136 58.6%
  • The ease of maintenance

Votes: 50 21.6%
  • The space for equipment within the stand

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends... on a great many things.

My normal response to questions about stand height are to measure from your armpit to the ground, subtract tank height, that's your target stand height.

In my case, I'm an old fatman... don't like ladders, not standing on a chair. I tend to prefer fat, wide, low tanks anyway. When I built my current system, I went 18" tall, on a 60" x 30" tank, giving me about 140 gallons. Fit the room, fit the style I was going for, and mounted nice and low, I can reach the bottom easily. Since it's a peninsula, I can reach anywhere I might need to reach, without getting my sleeves wet. Perfect.

There is no equipment under my stand. Sump and other gear are all located in a closet behind the tank. As I said... old, fatman. I'm not working from my knees, so no matter how high the tank is mounted, it wouldn't have been high enough for me. By getting the sump and related gear out from under the stand, I removed one reason for a high stand. Sump clearance doesn't matter. For most, that is not the case, and a higher stand in order to gain space for equipment is a reasonable decision.

I know folks that want to be 'eye level' with the tank while standing. Eh. I don't mind sitting down in front of my tank. Since the tank doubles as a bar, there's handy bar stools all around for just that purpose.

PXL_20210506_000255235.MP.jpg
Great job on the stand!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36" high is a good place. up high enough but I still can do maintenance

1621353692689.png
1621353692689.png

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine at 41" and it gives me enough room underneath it to work on things and its high enough where I am not crouched over to look at the display. another thing I did was use 2X6 for the top and bottom frames and that allowed me to hide all my Plumbing up in the stand so you don't see any of it when you look at it from the front.

Jake atkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand seeing amazing tanks that you have to crouch down to look at things in there. I prefer the tank to be higher up in its rightfully glorified position as the centerpiece it is

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back