The perfect stand height! Do you wish your stand was taller or shorter?

What's most important when it comes to the height of your tank stand?

• The viewing heigth

Votes: 136 58.6%
  • The ease of maintenance

Votes: 50 21.6%
  • The space for equipment within the stand

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got this QOTD idea sent to me from member @Dcal and it's much appreciated!

AH.....the calming and enjoyable view of our reef tanks is why we do what we do and why we keep these complex glass boxes of water in our homes. Without being able to properly view them then what's the use right?! One of the most important factors in how we view our reef aquarium is the height in which see it. This of course is determined by the height our tank stand. Not only does the stand effect how we view our reef but it also plays a role in the equipment we can house within it, under the tank, as well as being able to access inside the tank for cleaning purposes. Let's talk about it!

1. What do you think is the ideal height for a reef aquarium?

2. When deciding how tall or short your stand is do you consider the maintenance or equipment aspect of the tank?

3. Do you wish your tank stand was taller or shorter?

image via @Paul B
PB Fish 3_zpshsdui6gv.jpg

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because of the variables involved.

1. I think the ideal height is viewing height from a chair.

2. I am willing to sacrifice that height for fitting equipment underneath the stand. The first stand I built was 4" taller than the stand that came with my tank which was the limit for me to be able to effective reach into the tank while only rarely needing a step stool.

3. WIth that, I wish I had made the stand a few inches taller for ease of getting to the equipment and cleaning in the sump. I would rather use a step stool than have to contort myself to effective clean or remove equipment from the sump.

With the new build, I will have a fish room and nothing under the tank. I will be setting it up at what I consider optimum viewing height.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I think the perfect height is high enough so that you can comfortably look from the top of the tank and use a acrylic box/coral viewer to see your corals from top down. I would say around 5 foot high total. I have a reason for this madness.

2) Stand definitely needs enough room to account for a decent sump, skimmer, and grow light for me.

3) I have a 66g system with a tall stand from a previous owner. I'm a couple inches below 6' and my eyes meet exactly at the top of tank. I can't tell you how many times I've wished for the stand to be shorter. Having to reach into the tank is such a pain when your arm gets numb after a couple of minutes from having to pinch my arm's blood vessels over the tank edge. Not only that, my arm has to reach above the tank rim first so gravity definitely isn't helping with my blood flow. I've looked at the IM ext 50 tanks and imo the tank/stand combo is the perfect height (for me) to be able to comfortably do maintenance and view corals.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built my stand taller specifically for the viewing aspect. I don't have anything under the stand except for my ato container. My sump is behind the tank so all my equipment is fully accessible. The maintenance is mostly done without any problems but for any in depth cleaning i have a step stool i bought from home depot. No regrets going higher!

Attachments

• 20200417_093336.jpg
    20200417_093336.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 131

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built my stand taller specifically for the viewing aspect. I don't have anything under the stand except for my ato container. My sump is behind the tank so all my equipment is fully accessible. The maintenance is mostly done without any problems but for any in depth cleaning i have a step stool i bought from home depot. No regrets going higher!

Attachments

• 20200506_075005.jpg
    20200506_075005.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 126

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After so many water changes I lost alot of sand lol. Can I put new live sand in? Is that allowed lol.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tall enough that acceptable viewing height and good maintenance height are essentially the same: top rim of tank at armpit height LOL.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back