The Pistol Shrimp is one of the loudest animals on Earth, but...?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I learned that the Pistol shrimp is ranked #2 among the loudest animals on earth. Wow!!! Thats so interesting!

However, how come the clicking noise from my Pistol in my aquarium is never as loud? It's no louder than a door knocking sound. I know this question is dumb but I'm genuinely curious. :/

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go....its the same idea as screaming with your head above or below water. The amount of molecules the sound has to transfer through absorbs the sound waves differently.
Now imagine how loud the little guy would be outside of the water.....

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Now I wonder what happened if I stuck my head into my tank while the shrimp's snapping its claw, or what happened to the diver if they dive near its nest.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Now I wonder what happened if I stuck my head into my tank while the shrimp's snapping its claw, or what happened to the diver if they dive near its nest.
When you dive underwater they sort of sound like popcorn, many of them in the wild form colonies and communicate through the noise. I doubt any would try to snap your earhole though, I'd imagine that would suck a lot lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the loudest animal on earth "for it's size"

Back