The price of Bounce Mushrooms - a continued discussion

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms in general are now the "cool thing" to have.

Acans were cool and expensive. Not anymore.

Chalices were cool and expensive. Prices have gone down on most rainbow chalices, but they will probably stay high because high end chalices grow dang slow

Its mushrooms now. The wwc bounce is expensive because it isnt really collected from the wild anymore. There is a lot of Hype behind it. Good thing it propagates so easily.

The price on bounces will go down. Jawbreakers come in on wild rocks but theyre not very common and they dont frag as easily as rhodactis mushrooms (bounces).

I still think the 6,000$ bounce sold was a hoax set up by the sellers to hype up the bounce prices.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms in general are now the "cool thing" to have.

Acans were cool and expensive. Not anymore.

Chalices were cool and expensive. Prices have gone down on most rainbow chalices, but they will probably stay high because high end chalices grow **** slow

Its mushrooms now. The wwc bounce is expensive because it isnt really collected from the wild anymore. There is a lot of Hype behind it. Good thing it propagates so easily.

The price on bounces will go down. Jawbreakers come in on wild rocks but theyre not very common and they dont frag as easily as rhodactis mushrooms (bounces).

I still think the 6,000$ bounce sold was a hoax set up by the sellers to hype up the bounce prices.

I said the same thing but people started saying they "knew" the guy. But now I read he was some smancy international guy.

Bounce shrooms were big over a year ago. Now it seems like its making a push back with that 6k "sell".

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about linage thing? I see that anything with the Tyree or Jason Fox in front of its name gets to sell for a bit more than the ones without. Lately WWC is having the same effect. There is no way to prove the linage of these corals right? Even you have the receipt that means nothing as there is hard to prove that the coral in bag is the coral name on the receipt.....

OP
OP
Zoaddicted

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about linage thing? I see that anything with the Tyree or Jason Fox in front of its name gets to sell for a bit more than the ones without. Lately WWC is having the same effect. There is no way to prove the linage of these corals right? Even you have the receipt that means nothing as there is hard to prove that the coral in bag is the coral name on the receipt.....

I think there are definitely more Coral Vendors now than 5 years ago. Being a vendor and selling corals out of your garage/bedroom is easy to do now a days.

Wholesalers are selling the same corals to multiple people throughout the United States.

Different vendors are "discovering" the same coral and naming it differently.

Cornbreds bloodshot krakatoa vs Exclusive corals Speckled Krakatoa. Same coral.

Lineage is hard to prove unless they say I got it from cornbred or whoever and if they can vouch for you.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, before the cali RAP and the 6k deal. Bounces were sold on here from both vendors and hobbyists for 300-500 dollars. But ever since that incident now hobbyists want 1k for their baby bounce and vendors want 2k and up (recent post are all delight 2.5k and JFox on his site for 2.8k). Luckily I am more into sticks now.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, before the cali RAP and the 6k deal. Bounces were sold on here from both vendors and hobbyists for 300-500 dollars. But ever since that incident now hobbyists want 1k for their baby bounce and vendors want 2k and up (recent post are all delight 2.5k and JFox on his site for 2.8k). Luckily I am more into sticks now.

I saw the one JF put up last night, had great color and "OVER 12 bubbles"(LOL), but it was tiny and $$! not my cup of tea to spend multiK on a single piece, but to each their own. Ill just wait it out and get it in a year or two, shoulda swooped one a few years back when I had the chance and $, was "cheap" under 500. lol

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe there was one sold on here for around $7k earlier in the year. I admit I buy into the hype but I try and get my fix at the local swaps so I don't have to pay as much.

I do wonder where this hobby has headed in the past 20+ years I've been in it. I don't know if we just have more disposable income or if the hobby has become more "mainstream" and the upper middle class has gotten into it. I can remember when hardly no one had halides because they couldn't afford to throw $500 at lights and you were super elite if you had a controller. Now it seems people don't blink an eye when they throw down $1000+ on lights and another $600 for a controller. I guess my eyes were opened up when the first Tyree coral market was held here and there was a guy going from table to table asking to see their most expensive coral and was buying them.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral is only worth what someone will pay! If there is no one who will pay, then the coral is priced too high. Back in my day of selling corals, I used a dry erase board to raise and lower prices based on the demand, not what everyone usually prices them at. Rarely did I return from these shows with many corals.

Reefers cove was fortunate to have been in the right place, with the right product, at the right time. That guy bought a lot of high dollar corals hat day. I highly doubt any of them are in this country today! All the exhibitors that sold to him that I talked to said that he didn't even negotiate the prices. He paid exactly what he was asked. In the California coral market that is extremely strange. Anyone who saw him agreed that he was not local.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral is only worth what someone will pay! If there is no one who will pay, then the coral is priced too high. Back in my day of selling corals, I used a dry erase board to raise and lower prices based on the demand, not what everyone usually prices them at. Rarely did I return from these shows with many corals.

Reefers cove was fortunate to have been in the right place, with the right product, at the right time. That guy bought a lot of high dollar corals hat day. I highly doubt any of them are in this country today! All the exhibitors that sold to him that I talked to said that he didn't even negotiate the prices. He paid exactly what he was asked. In the California coral market that is extremely strange. Anyone who saw him agreed that he was not local.
What a fool lol.

Glad the sellers made out!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's true.

Typically someone who earns their money will haggle a bit. Not saying low ball, but atleast get a shirt out of it lol.

Trust fund people tend to not care how they blow it.
Yep, believe me, I wish I could afford to pay $6k for a coral, without haggling for it.:)

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the guy really is out of country and he flew into another country for the corals doesn't surprise me at all to spend 6k. Its hard to justify stuff if you make 30k a year. If you make 30 million a year 6k sounds cheap.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone at RAP have an ORA red planet frag and name it "the ultimate phoenix" and put a 9k pricetag on it, wonder if that guy will buy it up too, no haggling.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone at RAP have an ORA red planet frag and name it "the ultimate phoenix" and put a 9k pricetag on it, wonder if that guy will buy it up too, no haggling.

probably.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL then all the vendors at recent RAP had missed out. I think Sexy corals scored some though if that guy buys corals base on the pricetag only.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the way I understand it. If he asked for a price, it was a formality. He had already decided he was getting it. With the $6000k mushroom, he also got a $200 Acan. It wasn't about the price. It was simply whether or not he wanted the coral.

Back