the proper colouration of a Siganus magnificus…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, according to this not many of our Siganus magnificus aren’t what they should look like in the hobby.

I own this species of rabbitfish and would love to know how to get mine to look like the one pictured. Here’s a photo of mine in the 4’ tank.
F8EE2103-E2BA-4AEF-B0B1-DE9B23E717BC.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably diet or stress?

Foxface change color a lot when not fully happy and we know diet can play a key role in fishes color.

Just my guess.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably diet or stress?

Foxface change color a lot when not fully happy and we know diet can play a key role in fishes color.

Just my guess.
Yeah, I would think stress is the camo colours (I could be wrong though). He will have a bit of bickering with the tang every so often and it’s now ended up with the tilefish hiding ever since the first time the tang went after the foxface. Both are still eating though, I may try find some proper algae for him once I figure out what type he eats. Luckily I have a nano I can grow it in if I need to make an algae “farm”.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be diet.
Even though that fox faces are mainly herbivores it is good to provide them with a variety of frozen foods, algae sheets and pellets. I always like the variety in feeding fish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be diet.
Even though that fox faces are mainly herbivores it is good to provide them with a variety of frozen foods, algae sheets and pellets. I always like the variety in feeding fish.
I don’t feed pellets because it was only the wrasse and angelfish that ate it. I haven’t been able to get algae sheets in a while either. I feed a mix between mysis and brine which I assume is what kept some yellow in his pectoral fins and anal fin

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed pellets because it was only the wrasse and angelfish that ate it. I haven’t been able to get algae sheets in a while either. I feed a mix between mysis and brine which I assume is what kept some yellow in his pectoral fins and anal fin
I don’t think that the pellets are that important. But I totally think that it needs its “greens”, given that their natural diet mainly consists of algae.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound to me like he could benefit from dried nori and spiralina brine… maybe some LRS type mix (can make your own?). Fresh seaweed is great ofc!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound to me like he could benefit from dried nori and spiralina brine… maybe some LRS type mix (can make your own?). Fresh seaweed is great ofc!
Yeah, I’ll definitely do that, just very hard to get dried nori over here. Thanks for the help!! Really appreciated :)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any issues with their foxface picking on corals? Read that they could be prone to this, but wondering if it’s only if they aren’t being fed well.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get nori on amazon or you can get it in asian store. It is used to make sushi. Foxface definitely need a herbivore diet, supplemented with some plankton. Giving it only a carnivore diet is just as bad to giving a carnivore diet to a cow, or a herbivore diet to a cat.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any issues with their foxface picking on corals? Read that they could be prone to this, but wondering if it’s only if they aren’t being fed well.
Mine is just fine with most coral (I’m unsure about Zoanthids and palythoas, my zoas have definitely vanished but can’t completely say it was the foxface).

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have kept like 50 Siganus sp., and the only ones I've seen nip were long snout species when they get to terminal size. Don't believe diet has anything to do with it, just their behavior to graze constantly.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept like 50 Siganus sp., and the only ones I've seen nip were long snout species when they get to terminal size. Don't believe diet has anything to do with it, just their behavior to graze constantly.
Thanks, when you say long snout, does that include Mag, Lo or regular Foxface?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second Magnificus and neither of the two have eaten coral so I personally would say the magnificents are less risky than the others from that “Sub-genus” of Lo (Although that sub-genus doesn’t exist anymore from what I know).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While stress may be the main indicator in these fish, feeding live macro algae is the best thing you can do for their diet. It's the difference between you eating fresh food vs processed food. Try some gracalaria and different forms of caulerpa, as well as ulva; to see what they like. Water quality also plays a role in stress.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept two one spot fox face, and neither touched corals.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ll definitely do that, just very hard to get dried nori over here. Thanks for the help!! Really appreciated :)
I'm in Liverpool UK and also struggled to find dried plain nori,went to numerous Chinese supermarkets and no luck.i could find roasted/ with mixed spices mixed in but not plain all dried nori so went with oceans nutrition algae sheets ( green) think they sell red also but I remember someone in a thread telling me nori is maybe " japanese" or something like this ,I know they said don't try Chinese supermarket anyway .

Just oceans nutrition as it got picture of fish on packaging and made for fish that adds 3/ 4 of price for the algae sheets lol

Screenshot_20220117-090919_Chrome.jpg

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm in Liverpool UK and also struggled to find dried plain nori,went to numerous Chinese supermarkets and no luck.i could find roasted/ with mixed spices mixed in but not plain all dried nori so went with oceans nutrition algae sheets ( green) think they sell red also but I remember someone in a thread telling me nori is maybe " japanese" or something like this ,I know they said don't try Chinese supermarket anyway .

Just oceans nutrition as it got picture of fish on packaging and made for fish that adds 3/ 4 of price for the algae sheets lol

Screenshot_20220117-090919_Chrome.jpg

You shoudlnt really struggle to get Nori suitable over here - Ive used the stuff from Waitrose, Tesco, Asda etc and all is fine. As long as there is no added ingredients and it is plain, with no added extras, seasoning etc. there isnt an issue using it.

Id still go to eBay to buy personally though. You'll get 500 large sheets for the price you pay for one packet of Ocean Nutrition.

FYI - Non roasted would be great and is availbale on the likes of amazon etc, but other than possibly being less nutritious (No idea if thats even true or why it would be) I dont see or have any issues feeding the roasted version. Fed it for years when i had my large tank and swore by it for colour.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back