The prospect of moving my tank 800km makes me panic quite a bit

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some experience with moving tanks (fresh and saltwater) of various sizes. But only over short distances like half and hour drive or something. This time it's different. We are going to move from Munich to Hamburg "soon". Some things need to be clarified still but it's pretty certain and I am kind of already planning and gathering. I generally have a grasp of how I want to do it. But the details are just way to uncertain and that makes my inner panic monkey a bit overactive.

Tank is 300L with 60L sump. Mostly SPS (Acro & Monti) growing pretty well.

What is/what I already have:
- I am having 10 styro boxes handy for keeping fish and coral warm during transport and enough plastic bags anyway. But we would likely try to move in spring/early summer when temps are so no extra heating is needed.
- Enough buckets 20L & 30L with lids.
- I will take at least 70% of water with me in 60L barrels with two handles for transporting.
- Sand will be thrown away and replaced with fresh life sand
- On arrival I am planning on putting the coral and fish in a small tank I use as frag tank.
- rock (some with softies) will be transported in the barrels with the water.

Now it gets interesting ... what makes me panic a bit:
- I have to disassemble, package up, transport everything at the same day I think
- the last time I disassembled a reef tank It took me like 4 hours to package up everything
- now there's the drive (8-10 hours) added
- and the reassembly which (the last time) took me like 10-12hours

My thoughts and some open questions up to here:
- flow in the barrels induced by the cars movement should be enough to keep the bacteria in the rock alive? If not, then how to create enough flow?
- will the fish and coral survive 12-14 hours of being transported just being in a bag with some air on top or is there something like oxygen tablets or similar? Or is it better to have them in buckets that are not fully airtight to have the moving water introduce enough oxygen automatically? How would you do it?

Will the following work?
My idea is to stretch the process a over a couple of days and I dunno if it will work:
Day 0: Have enough pre-mixed and UOA water ready for transport or maybe even at the new location already.
Day 1: Take all livestock out of the main tank and park it in the frag tank. Put water and life rock in the barrels, add flow pumps and heaters. Disassemble the tank and package up everything.
Day 2: package livestock in bags/buckets, close barrels off, put everything into a big enough car and drive to Hamburg. On arrival: open barrels again and add heaters and flow pumps, put all livestock in the frag tank again. Preassemble the tank so it's ready
Day 3: Finish assembly of the tank, then refill and add everything again.
Day 4: die from exhaustion :grinning-face-with-sweat:

More questions: are there things I could add to the transported water to keep the livestock in better healt/less stress and the other water-only barrels from spoiling?

Have you ever done a similar move job and have some advice or lifesavers/lessons learned? What do you think about my plan? Will it work? Is it crap? What would you do differently? You could help me quite a bit here to take the uncertainties and therefore the panic out. But please also be honest if you think that some things won't work or maybe the whole plan is crap.

Thanks a bunch :)

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a few multi-day moves. Dissolved oxygen levels are a problem and causes losses in the first move. The movement of travel isn't enough. I installed a 1000 W inverter for the last move so I could power my oxygen concentrator and several hundred watts of heaters (it was winter). I also had a dissolved oxygen meter.

An oxygen tank is an alternative that doesn't require electricity but has limited capacity.

Flow and surface movement aren't very effective at aerating water despite popular belief. And air stones aren't effective in shallow water unless diffusing pure oxygen.

OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a few multi-day moves. Dissolved oxygen levels are a problem and causes losses in the first move. The movement of travel isn't enough. I installed a 1000 W inverter for the last move so I could power my oxygen concentrator and several hundred watts of heaters (it was winter). I also had a dissolved oxygen meter.

An oxygen tank is an alternative that doesn't require electricity but has limited capacity.

Flow and surface movement aren't very effective at aerating water despite popular belief. And air stones aren't effective in shallow water unless diffusing pure oxygen.
An inverter is a good idea. Also not that expensive. I will add that to the list. I will add some flow pumps during transport then. I also have 2 ecotech batteries which I could use to provide some MPs with power during transport with some mild flow to keep the water for the fish aerated. An oxygen concentrator is maybe to expensive for me. At least a short search has shown none under 600euros. Will see if I can maybe borrow one from god knows where. On the contrary I have had good success with just good movement of the water surface to keep the water aerated so the oxygen test shows max values. But I will keep that in mind regardless. It's a valuable hint. Didn't think of that.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that oxygen tanks are cheaper. You typically only rent them and then swap the empty ones for a full one for a small fee. Then when done you sell the tank bank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back