OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend you are doing exactly what you say you wish people would stop doing.

I say that with the utmost respect.
They asked, I answered.
I admit that I'm taking advantage of my own threat to bring some valuable info.
Love the dog in your avatar. Please post more pictures of that dog!!
Give him some treat for me.
I opened this thread and I can give a treat to that dog! LOL!!!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They asked, I answered.
I agree, sweet looking doggie Belted has.....

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t chime in as feverishly as most, and to be honest, I have a fairly strong disdain for the “cut of the Jib” as it were, in these discussions. But, you’re right and I noticed that comment immediately. I won’t choose sides on the argument, but I’ll back you up on this one. You have yet to make any unsubstantiated recommendations or claims of anything being better or worse. It’s often assumed you are and you’re often accused of doing so, but I don’t see it. Just pointing out that. Rather, if you HAVE made any hard better or worse claims. I’ve not seen it.
He is very good at diminishing halides and threads where people publish their positive findings about the halides though! Why is that? because oreo wants to sell his LEDs?
He also likes to prove against halides with graphics what we know by experience for decades!
Halides are "a hard animal to beat", like Tulio says.
No one kicks a dead horse.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is very good at diminishing halides and threads where people publish their positive findings about the halides though! Why is that? because oreo wants to sell his LEDs?
He also likes to prove against halides with graphics what we know by experience for decades!
Halides are "a hard animal to beat", like Tulio says.
No one kicks a dead horse.

I just respectfully disagree on that interpretation of the material he posts. I know you two have a bit of a rivalry and perhaps he does push your buttons deliberately on occasion, I don’t see any of his content as direct attacks on metal halide, but rather spirited defense of led attacks. I have no justification either way

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask and ye shall receive

Attachments

• 2C472B6F-2933-4481-A0F3-FBA86CFF79B1.jpeg
    2C472B6F-2933-4481-A0F3-FBA86CFF79B1.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9E9337B7-F41E-4D4C-A647-B9B191BAA9F3.jpeg
    9E9337B7-F41E-4D4C-A647-B9B191BAA9F3.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 5F16B09F-DE8A-4BFA-8445-70A43A4092CF.jpeg
    5F16B09F-DE8A-4BFA-8445-70A43A4092CF.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DB72E99B-4B6A-4C45-87C5-9F7BCB451422.jpeg
    DB72E99B-4B6A-4C45-87C5-9F7BCB451422.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 43
  • A7700EC4-AF79-4F95-A8A0-9F04C1703920.jpeg
    A7700EC4-AF79-4F95-A8A0-9F04C1703920.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 39
  • CE27EDBE-F8EA-4F12-88A2-F9FFF12EA667.jpeg
    CE27EDBE-F8EA-4F12-88A2-F9FFF12EA667.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 34
  • B5DD3D66-5D8F-4A34-B1B0-8DD8BED14840.jpeg
    B5DD3D66-5D8F-4A34-B1B0-8DD8BED14840.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll choose LEDs over MH/T5s any day, and I don’t care about the science behind your banter. There are far too many reasons to explain as to why I chose the LED route, but Ill name a few; spectrum controllability, cost of operation, aesthetics.

You sort of remind me of the fan boys of refractometers/hydrometers, when conductivity probes are far more superior.

Straight from Echtech:
“Flow is the most important attribute of keeping coral healthy after basic water parameters - more important than lighting, more important than dosing” - Victor
If you want to sell those Radions you need to believe that. They know their light isn't what they claimed. They made lot$$$ of money with their advertise!!! Very good at marketing strategy! I don't blame them at all. That's their job and they performed really well.
They need to take advantage of what's going on, so they acted on the right time. Great investment with an even greater return!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys got it all wrong, power compacts are clearly the BEST. Y’all peasants are arguing about metal halides and LEDs while everyone who’s a real reefer knows that PCs can’t be beat. I got my STUNNING brown mushroom to grow 1/2 an INCH over the past 18 months. Beat that with your silly halides and LEDs.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we are talking about a pdf that said that actually LEDs are better for growth and color to promote their sales!!! That is the point!

All my experiences with MH, independent on brand and Ks, tells me that it has the real full spectrum from UV to IR and that is the reason why it resembles the sun better than any LED in existence, like the biologists say! Also, the usable intensity of any halide will surpass any LED in the market. If you try to mimic a halide with LEDs you will burn those corals before you notice!
Can anyone do better than this with their LEDs?
3 X 600W of HQI bulbs:

It is a matter of application.
Results are different and we can choose what we want.
One more thing... most professional corals growers will agree that halides will provide much faster growth.

If you guys just watch the videos I have posted here with Tullio Del Aquilla you would understand better!
The majority is ignoring Tullio's precious teaching about reef lighting, period!

They asked, I answered.

I will reiterate I’m not trying to be combative. Nor am I even upset while posting this.

I believe you when you say there are farmers who say MH has better growth. But as you said it’s all in the application. For someone like me? I could never justify the electric bill that comes from MH vs t5 and LED. Yeah, the growth is slower, but there are still proven results. And I’d venture to say that there’s some evidence of LED and T5 having better results for color than MH (which not everybody cares about, but it’s a consideration) Jason fox is a good example that comes to mind.

last I saw he runs primarily t5 with some LED. And his stuff is gorgeous. Same with tidal gardens.

but even then I wouldn’t say those options are better per say. I just don’t like the idea that any lighting option is “best”. You said it yourself depends on the application. MH is awesome. But it’s not the only awesome.

and I’m saying this as someone who kinda wishes he could justify MH. But I can’t. And I’m okay with that, because the other options are pretty darn good too

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! You too!! More pics.
Guys... feel free to post dog pictures to cool off this thread!
In reality this is getting warmer than any halide fixture!!!
Ha! You asked for it, and shall receive. ;) my past 4 Newfoundlands three of them rescues, and my current little lady. Who makes me pull my hair out daily, but is worth every moment of it. She is a peach, 5 months now, the pic at about 12 weeks.
20210701_203919.jpg
20210701_204018.jpg

Attachments

• 20210701_204018.jpg
    20210701_204018.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 40

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wish people could stop trying to justify their point of view and get to what we are waiting for...
Oreo... you started all this man.
Provoked me personally in a MH thread!!!!
What is your answer for that pdf???????
Tell people the truth. We want to hear from you!!
for what? YOU insulted it, I just said do your own study.
I didn't so my position is neutral at best..
LED's didn't kill everything
Everything wasn't brown and stuff grew..

WOW !!!!

About Reef WholesaleReef Wholesale has been importing and distributing coral for over a decade. Patrick Foster and Trina Parsons began as hobbyists in early 2000, their obsession with marine creatures led them first into retail and then into import and distribution.“We’re hobbyists at heart and we think that really reflects in the health and quality of our coral.”-Patrick Foster Patrick and Trina are firm believers in ethical reef keeping and sustainable promotion of the hobby. As an importer that means choosing vendors with ethical collection techniques and shipping practices. As a distributor, that means providing the most accurate information on livestock care to their dealers to ensure the health of all livestock and promoting products they use and believe in themselves. At RW’s facility employing proper acclimation, feeding techniques and training are paramount in ensuring that only the healthiest and most suitable livestock reach the hobbyist.
Actually I think you owe them an apology...

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am counting the days till Father Time takes my cats. Then there will be a strict no non-human mammals allowed in the house or family ever again. I’ve come to the conclusion I’m just not “pet guy”

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what? YOU insulted it, I just said do your own study.
I didn't so my position is neutral at best..
LED's didn't kill everything
Everything wasn't brown and stuff grew..

WOW !!!!

Actually I think you owe them an apology...
Look at the doggie pictures.... the disagreement is over. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back