!!!THE PSYCHOLOGY OF FREE STUFF!!!!

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about frags as freebies. Like on the one hand, it's a very generous gesture.

But for someone like me, who only has one aquarium, does not have room or money for a second one, and already has very specific plans with regards to what corals I will have, where each one will go, and what look I want the tank to achieve as it matures, a free frag can be a mixed blessing. I mean I would never let a coral just die, but when I never had any plans in place for it, it can become an issue.

So I think it's a very kind thing, and no one has any good reason to complain about a free ***, keep in mind that for reefers like me, it can be just as much of an inconvenience as a blessing.
That is a super valid point! I mean if you are having to be selective as it is, and space is limited, blah and whatever type freebies will only muddy up an otherwise hand picked display. Totally with you on that one.

Mael

Bridgeburner
View Badges
Reaction score
of course, you could offer those freebies to a fellow local reefer when you dont have room. Ive done it before with packs that came with freebies of particular coral i had already or just didnt have room for, just brought it to the next group meeting and a fellow reefer was very happy.

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
of course, you could offer those freebies to a fellow local reefer when you dont have room. Ive done it before with packs that came with freebies of particular coral i had already or just didnt have room for, just brought it to the next group meeting and a fellow reefer was very happy.
Right on man. Very cool of you!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you here! For someone to be unhappy about a free coral, outright shocked me. Im not surprised to see that there would be those who isn't happy about getting something free. Seems a bit crazy but honestly why not go and gift that coral to someone else. Isn't this hobby about much more than just yourself. I've met some incredible people in this hobby who have helped me become the reefing guy I am. I also have met some that have no budget and can get anything their mind chooses and those who wouldn't stop thanking me if I gave them a free frag. So for those of you who don't want a free frag, send them my way and I'll happily donate them to someone through my local reef forum or Craigslist ;). You'll be amazed how you can change someone's day about a freebie. No matter what, we should all be appreciative. It's not always about making an extra buck.

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you here! For someone to be unhappy about a free coral, outright shocked me. Im not surprised to see that there would be those who isn't happy about getting something free. Seems a bit crazy but honestly why not go and gift that coral to someone else. Isn't this hobby about much more than just yourself. I've met some incredible people in this hobby who have helped me become the reefing guy I am. I also have met some that have no budget and can get anything their mind chooses and those who wouldn't stop thanking me if I gave them a free frag. So for those of you who don't want a free frag, send them my way and I'll happily donate them to someone through my local reef forum or Craigslist ;). You'll be amazed how you can change someone's day about a freebie. No matter what, we should all be appreciative. It's not always about making an extra buck.

Very well said my friend thank you for the post! I don't know if i have even more excited about coral to this day even, as a I was when I got my first few pieces free from Philstone many years ago. Green slimer and some caps.

|FATHOM|

View Badges
Reaction score
I remember I was making a coral run from Los Angeles to Orange country. I had 3 stops, 2 LFS and my friend's house for some trades. Around this time I had a free stuff thread posted on socal reefs. One person, trunglippo, replied to my thread saying that he wished I was closer. I noticed he was in orange county and offered to drop off some palys and clove polyps that I had. I tell him that I will be at his place around 1. I call and he says hes not home just to leave it on the porch. I do. I ride home and when I get there I notice he texted me right away ( he was home the whole time). He basically complains that the rocks had a bunch of fireworms when he dipped. Then sends me a full tank shot with all these corals and nems in his tank

It was really off putting and it made me not want to give out free stuff anymore. Fortunately this was the only time I have dealt with a manner-less ingrate. I got over it and continue to give out free stuff. I agree that it can be very disappointing but the people that complain about free stuff are miserable and just looking for a excuse to complain.

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
I love free stuff from vendors. It shows me the vendor cares and wants to show their appreciation for my business. If I don't like or can't use the item I have something that I can give to someone else and it's always appreciated. It's amazing how some can react negatively to free stuff. Luckily these folks are in the minorety.

Thank you Adam for the freebies! It is certainly appreciated and a real pleasure that you put customer service first!

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
I love free stuff from vendors. It shows me the vendor cares and wants to show their appreciation for my business. If I don't like or can't use the item I have something that I can give to someone else and it's always appreciated. It's amazing how some can react negatively to free stuff. Luckily these folks are in the minorety.

Thank you Adam for the freebies! It is certainly appreciated and a real pleasure that you put customer service first!

Right on Steve! Thanks for the post!

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I agree Steve :) When I place a order with a vendor or a fellow reefer,, I max my budget in order to get the most corals I can with my budget at the time,, and too get the max value for my shipping $$$ that I can,,, when I get a freebie coral,,, well,,, doesn't get much better than that,,, that freebie coral usely ends up being my favorite coral in the tank :) vendors that put a free one in the box,,, always get at least a second order from me ,,, ones that don't,,, well,,, guess I shouldn't say this,,, they better have something I really can't live without lol

AndysReef

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Always appreciated. I get so happy when I see a little mystery frag!! IMO brings in business, I just read this the other day on you site and I really liked the break down/ explanation. :p

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Always appreciated. I get so happy when I see a little mystery frag!! IMO brings in business, I just read this the other day on you site and I really liked the break down/ explanation. :p

Very cool of you man! Thanks a lot for the post

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
I remember I was making a coral run from Los Angeles to Orange country. I had 3 stops, 2 LFS and my friend's house for some trades. Around this time I had a free stuff thread posted on socal reefs. One person, trunglippo, replied to my thread saying that he wished I was closer. I noticed he was in orange county and offered to drop off some palys and clove polyps that I had. I tell him that I will be at his place around 1. I call and he says hes not home just to leave it on the porch. I do. I ride home and when I get there I notice he texted me right away ( he was home the whole time). He basically complains that the rocks had a bunch of fireworms when he dipped. Then sends me a full tank shot with all these corals and nems in his tank

It was really off putting and it made me not want to give out free stuff anymore. Fortunately this was the only time I have dealt with a manner-less ingrate. I got over it and continue to give out free stuff. I agree that it can be very disappointing but the people that complain about free stuff are miserable and just looking for a excuse to complain.

Yikes yeah that has to rub you wrong. no gratitude whatsoever

Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

• Yes

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 15.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Ultimate Corals