!!!THE PSYCHOLOGY OF FREE STUFF!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding DOA's, my feeling is that if I order a specific piece, I'd expect to receive that piece in good shape (that is, a freebie would not be an acceptable substitute). If I was receiving a Battlebox of "selected by Adam" frags, the only way I'd feel let down is if the DOA's were numerous relative to the total contents of the box. In any case I'd expect a vendor to appreciate a detailed report of a DOA and be interested in identifying a preventable cause.

Brad Bessett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I placed my first order with Adam, there was a coral he knew I really wanted in my box but he said it wasn't ready to be cut, so I ended up choosing a different piece to round out the pack. Box arrives, and low and behold - in an extra bag was a frag of the initial piece I wanted. Now that was awesome!

I also appreciated the free mini colony of Fairy Food he added. ;)

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about the battlebrushes! I've received a couple of them from Adam and they were so useful that I sourced them out and bought a dozen of them, which should last me awhile. My tank is relatively small and freebies are welcomed if they're something that I've never had before. If they don't turn out the way that I want in the tank, then I give those out to the local club members.

I also don't mind freebies, as long as they're healthy and bug free, which Adam's pieces has always been so far. They arrive with colors close to the pictures that you see online and if they don't they will recover to look like the same or better. This is important versus other vendors that I've used before. I received a couple of freebie sticks from another vendor (2 freebies on top of the nearly $200 ordered), who happens to be a sponsor, which came in with acro spiders. Darn things survived serious dips in Bayer (one was stunned while the other was still alive and kicking) and I scrapped the rest of the order since I wasn't comfortable with the health of the sticks as well as the possibility of introducing any other bugs. I notified the vendor and got the spiel about how they dip and scrub in Bayer twice a month and they'll let their staff know to be more careful about it. I didn't ask them for a refund, nor was one offered, and needless to say that was the last time that I spent any money with them.

Orangezuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I was just talking to my boss & Co. owner about the very similar. As the fabricator at a heavy hydraulic service company I often give small parts or repairs to walk in customers with no charge... o-rings, adapters or easy fixes. Mainly because they pull out a debit/credit card & honestly we'll break even or loose if we run the card. It's funny because the amount of people who are just baffled that I tell them "eh, don't worry about it, just come to us for the next thing".

I took a look at this post as I've been researching online coral options (have never bought online b4) while resetting my tank after a move. I've had a post https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/3792129/
!!!GRAB-BA-BA-BAGGIE BATTLEBOXES!!!.
Saved for just that and like to see the other articles a vendor puts out to learn more about them.
Battlecorals, Adam, seeing the reviews and posts like these are reasons I will be doing business with you in the future!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's all about the battlebrushes! I've received a couple of them from Adam and they were so useful that I sourced them out and bought a dozen of them, which should last me awhile. My tank is relatively small and freebies are welcomed if they're something that I've never had before. If they don't turn out the way that I want in the tank, then I give those out to the local club members.

I also don't mind freebies, as long as they're healthy and bug free, which Adam's pieces has always been so far. They arrive with colors close to the pictures that you see online and if they don't they will recover to look like the same or better. This is important versus other vendors that I've used before. I received a couple of freebie sticks from another vendor (2 freebies on top of the nearly $200 ordered), who happens to be a sponsor, which came in with acro spiders. Darn things survived serious dips in Bayer (one was stunned while the other was still alive and kicking) and I scrapped the rest of the order since I wasn't comfortable with the health of the sticks as well as the possibility of introducing any other bugs. I notified the vendor and got the spiel about how they dip and scrub in Bayer twice a month and they'll let their staff know to be more careful about it. I didn't ask them for a refund, nor was one offered, and needless to say that was the last time that I spent any money with them.

Thats a rough one man. freebies with pests would probably not even make it into my QT lol

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found this discussion really interesting. In reading, I've decided I'm just a sucker - I love freebies! Now, when I say this, I genuinely mean I like them no matter if they are a frag, a sticker, my awesome Battlebrush, or a recent favorite, a single Swedish fish candy. Seriously, I smiled hard when it was put on top of the packaging and the first thing you saw when you opened the box. And then I promptly ate the candy! Got a cute sticker from @AlgaeBarn that's on my corkboard - you get the idea. It's not about monetary value for me at all.

I understand it's marketing, I understand it's good customer relations, and I understand that ultimately the customer has to pay at least incrementally more for the owner to include these things, but, as I've been writing this, I think what I like about all of it is the simple gesture of going above and beyond, even in a small way. Doing something because you want to, because you have pride in your work or company, because you want someone to get a little something unexpected, think highly of you and come back to do business with you again. We can all do our respective jobs mindlessly and when I see that someone has chosen a different, more engaged road, I will give them all the support and business I can muster!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've found this discussion really interesting. In reading, I've decided I'm just a sucker - I love freebies! Now, when I say this, I genuinely mean I like them no matter if they are a frag, a sticker, my awesome Battlebrush, or a recent favorite, a single Swedish fish candy. Seriously, I smiled hard when it was put on top of the packaging and the first thing you saw when you opened the box. And then I promptly ate the candy! Got a cute sticker from @AlgaeBarn that's on my corkboard - you get the idea. It's not about monetary value for me at all.

I understand it's marketing, I understand it's good customer relations, and I understand that ultimately the customer has to pay at least incrementally more for the owner to include these things, but, as I've been writing this, I think what I like about all of it is the simple gesture of going above and beyond, even in a small way. Doing something because you want to, because you have pride in your work or company, because you want someone to get a little something unexpected, think highly of you and come back to do business with you again. We can all do our respective jobs mindlessly and when I see that someone has chosen a different, more engaged road, I will give them all the support and business I can muster!

Hey Thanks a lot for the comments! who dosent love free swag!

Mael

Bridgeburner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I look forward to freebies as much if not more than the order itself sometimes, it could be a small sticker to a free frag or shirt but the mystery of the item and the generosity I know is behind it from the vendor makes it that much better, especially when you know whats in the main order. It like bonus desert on top of the best meal of your life.

crendon2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed the battle box I got from Adam and I'm not sure which one was the freebie because he said a number and i got more than what was said ,but his box has been one of the best boxes I have recieved and I have ordered from many different vendors and his boxes are top notch!! A freebie is like icing on a cake most people love it, some don't and some only look forward to it.

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always appreciate it. I don't think it's something that should be expected but instead taken as a kind gesture on the seller's part.

I purchased my first pack from Adam a few months ago & everything is stunning. I had one frag lose color after a week or 2 & was offered a replacement. That I consider excellent customer service as I was asking for help & not a new frag. Since I've moved it higher up in the tank it has colored up again.

A freebie is a pleasant surprise but not a requirement for me to place another order down the road.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings about frags as freebies. Like on the one hand, it's a very generous gesture.

But for someone like me, who only has one aquarium, does not have room or money for a second one, and already has very specific plans with regards to what corals I will have, where each one will go, and what look I want the tank to achieve as it matures, a free frag can be a mixed blessing. I mean I would never let a coral just die, but when I never had any plans in place for it, it can become an issue.

So I think it's a very kind thing, and no one has any good reason to complain about a free ***, keep in mind that for reefers like me, it can be just as much of an inconvenience as a blessing.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings about frags as freebies. Like on the one hand, it's a very generous gesture.

But for someone like me, who only has one aquarium, does not have room or money for a second one, and already has very specific plans with regards to what corals I will have, where each one will go, and what look I want the tank to achieve as it matures, a free frag can be a mixed blessing. I mean I would never let a coral just die, but when I never had any plans in place for it, it can become an issue.

So I think it's a very kind thing, and no one has any good reason to complain about a free ***, keep in mind that for reefers like me, it can be just as much of an inconvenience as a blessing.
Send them to me! All the reason to start a 4th tank!

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send them to me! All the reason to start a 4th tank!
Lol. That's certainly one way to handle it.

(Btw not sure why f-r-e-e-b-i-e had the last three letters are ***ed out, but I just wanted to clarify that I did not randomly cuss there lol)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back